Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today of times when I started my ride in the dark so forgot my glasses, and also when I lost them last year and had to replace them, so I rode for a time without any glasses. I was just wondering how many here regularly ride without glasses or eyewear of some kind, and why? I know it drives me nuts due to sun, bugs, and just the wind drying my eyes out, but see many who ride w/ out.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sunglasses. Light tint, amber color. They work when it's bright, and cloudy/getting to dusk. I always protect my eyes.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Was having this discussion with my buddy last night, prompted by me riding thru a cloud of gnats while my sunglasses were tucked into my helmet vents in that oh-so-pro way.

He recently had both corneas replaced. His doc told him "you got $30k eyes, spend a few bucks on insurance"

He has a nice collection of eyewear and always wears it now. This is a guy who usually won't wear a helmet if it's just me and him; has been known to not bring a hat on 100F Texas summer rides, etc. But he always brings his shades.

I did a night ride this winter, cold air, 80 miles. Got home I could barely see b/c I'd forgotten my clear lenses and went naked the whole way. My eyes were red and cloggy for a couple days.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I kind of have to (RX needed), but won't ride in just any glasses unless it is around the block to test out some wrenching. I always wear my Rudy Rydons when out for any ride over 5 minutes. I have two lenses, yellow with anti-reflective coating and a dark-ish racing Red. The red gets 90% of the use. Yellow are only for night time.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Never worn a pair of them bike-type glasses. I have prescription glasses that I wear so I can see but I prefer to ride w/o them. I like to be able to wipe/rub my eyes when I need to and they're especially annoying when it rains. If I had better vision I don't think I'd ever wear stuff over my eyes.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I stopped wearing sunglasses a few years ago for a couple reasons.

I sweat a lot and got tired of the glasses blurring up with dried runs of sweat on the lenses.

Helmets tend to sit low on my head such that I can see the edge of the helmet while in the drops. If I wear sunglasses, the bridge of the frame impedes my vision even more, so I lose even more of my field of view. Then I have to crane my neck even more for a good view of my surroundings. It gets old after a few miles.

Finally, I just gave up. Yeah; occasionally I get something in my eye but not often enough that it's a deal breaker.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I never ride without glasses. I have the common multi lens type that feature clear, yellow, and gray. I wear contacts, and without glasses my eyes dry & the contacts literally blow out. I'd wear them even if I didn't need a prescription. I'm very sensitive to bright lights (don't know why) and always wear sunglasses in the car, bike, or anywhere outside. I've also become used to the increased contrast that yellow glasses provide on darker days. Another feature to the yellow lenses is you can scare the hell out of little kids in the back seats of cars that pull next to you at traffic lights.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I cant even imagine riding without sunglasses. Was riding a wheel today and got this rock right in the nose. Hurt like a bee sting. If I were to take that in the eye I would have had to stop riding at least for the day. Not even an option in my mind.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
I ride with photochromic glasses at all times. My eyes water in even a slight breeze, so riding would be tear blurred without glasses. When I commute I leave at 5:30AM, so I need untinted glasses then. Photochromic lenses allow me to use just one pair without needing to change lenses.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I recently got some Bolle Parole sunglasses. They came with 4 sets of lenses, vermillion, bronze, gray and clear, plus I'm waiting on a set of polarized bronze lenses. They have an insert for my Rx so I can actually see things. I've only been able to use them on the bike three times but I have used the vermillion lenses several times for skiing and I really like these things. Even if my eyesight was perfect and I didn't need to wear to glasses I would never ski or cycle without goggles or glasses. It's more comfortable and cheap protection for your eyes.

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts

i don't even step outside without sunglasses on, let alone ride...

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I always ride with eye protection. I once had a large fly or bee hit me in the cheek about 1 inch below my right eye. Stung pretty bad from the impact. I can't imagine how it would feel if the same bug hit my eye instead if I weren't wearing eye protection. I once rode through a swarm of bees. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten one in the eye had I not had my riding glasses on that day.

When I commuted by bike I would wear my regular riding glasses despite riding in the dark. The glasses that I ride with are supposed to be photochromatic but they don't darken so they're kind of just lightly tinted at all times. I suppose that I could have ridden with the "safety goggles" that I got from a previous employer but they look kind of dorky. They're clear safety glasses that work pretty well as cycling glasses in a pinch so I guess I should have used them. Oh, well, too late now...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Eyewear is a must for any sort of hard cycling. I've had big bugs slam into my eyewear. I've had sticks thrown up off the road from the guy in front of me. I've had nose candy splashed in my face. All these things, and more have been prevented from hitting my eyes by eyewear. I've got clear, I've got yellow, I've got red, I've got brown, and I've got grey. One of these will work in just about any situation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I too wear sunglasses about everytime I go outside.

I ride in assorted close fitting plastic wraparounds for protection. They keep the wind out of my contacts and for the damn bugs.

For safety, I leave my metal frame glasses and sunglasses at home. I've just been afraid of having thin, sharp metal around my eyes and face if I go down. Is that an irrational fear?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wear my IC Berlin prescription glasses. A mere 13 grams for the stylish and the weight weenie. I bought them more for the inspired design than the weight - these things are sexy. I use them most of the time I need to see stuff more than 15 feet away with certain clarity.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Don't wear prescriptions, but never ride without Cycling Glasses to block wind and sun.
Besides, without glasses, where are you going to attach your Mirror.
John('Fred'):biggrin5:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wear sunglasses (Oakley vented M-Frame sweeps) for protection and so my eyes don't get dry. Ever since lasik, my eyes seem more suseptible to drying from cycling.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Rip-off - I came in here on the headline, ready to answer, cause I do. Then I read the OP and you want to hear from people who don't. Pick.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.