Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
It's time for the French teams to show that they can do something. With no domiment riders left, it's an open field and a rider who gets a long breakaway lead from an early stage may be able to hold it.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
bas said:
This is no longer CSC's race or TMobile's race to control.

Will Discovery step up and dominate with George/Popo/Azevedo in the top 5?
Finally an interesting question resulting from the fallout of the scandal.

I think you will see Phonak, Gerolsteiner and Disco do some work, but not a whole lot.

Expect Milram, Quick-Step, and Lotto to a lesser degree to control the race for the first week. This tour starts out so flat that the sprinters will be able to rack up 7-8 stages to start off the race. Once the mountains hit, the cream will rise to the top and we will see who needs to do the pacemaking. My guess is Phonak.

CSC will still dominate the race, but in a different way. They will be playing opportunist and probably trying to get Julich/Zabriskie/Sastre in the top of the overall...Sastre being the best bet.

I think Disco will try to stay off the front as long as possible. They don't want to burn any matches so as to save as many guys for the final week.

Regardless of the scandal, the tour will still be interesting,

Silas

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Why would Discovery step up? I'm sure they'll get in some breaks to try their hand, but other than that, until the race hits the mountains, Disco is finally going to see what the race looks like from inside the pack. On the other hand, if George or Paolo wins the prologue, they will probably defend it for a few days.

G

·
Any team that steps up to setting Tempo will immediately be accused of team doping and banished. So no-one. They're all going to ride in a bunch the whole way around France and the french will just hope that one of their wins the final day.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Will this be the first tour in a while to be one leader, if floyd wins the prologue will he defend it to the finish. lots of ifs but if hes the favourite hes made out to be.....

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
In the modern era, it's never a smart idea to defend the jersey from start to finish. If Floyd wins the prologue, I'm sure they'll defend it within reason, but not at the extent of wearing out the team. Within reason means making sure your sponsor gets some TV time out of it, but the mountains are going to be somewhat of a free-for-all this year after all that has happened, so waste no unnecessary energy.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mohair_chair said:
In the modern era, it's never a smart idea to defend the jersey from start to finish. If Floyd wins the prologue, I'm sure they'll defend it within reason, but not at the extent of wearing out the team. Within reason means making sure your sponsor gets some TV time out of it, but the mountains are going to be somewhat of a free-for-all this year after all that has happened, so waste no unnecessary energy.

But has Landis rejuiced again? He was out of juice a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree i do not think that the jersey can be defended around the whole tour. However ther seems to be a bit of floyd mania going around this site now. He was in some fine form a few months ago but has he been able to regain this for the arguably the most important time of the year.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
slowdave said:
I agree i do not think that the jersey can be defended around the whole tour. However ther seems to be a bit of floyd mania going around this site now. He was in some fine form a few months ago but has he been able to regain this for the arguably the most important time of the year.
I'd like to see Floyd win but agree there is a good bit of mania going on around him right now. There are probably 20 other guys in the Tour with at least as high of a finish as his best in a GT. Including some guys who have won GTs. Floyd's win a Paris-Nice was quality but Georgia and California were vs. B fields, at best and he certainly was lacking something at the Dauphine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.