Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I do not mean cheech and chong high.... I think it will be either Danny Pate or George Hincapie. What do ya'll think.....

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
Unfortunately, according to the start list you only get 4 choices... Christian Vande Velde, Danny Pate, William Frischkorn & George Hincapie.

My guess is Vande Velde. I think he's going for a decent GC. I don't think George has any GC goals.... just stage wins.

Starting in 1998 - Julich, LA, Floyd then Levi... this is the first TdF in 10 years with no US podium threat.

Do either one of the ITT's match Pate's strengths? I'm guessing maybe the 2nd one (it's a few rolling hills).

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Levi Leip... Oh wait, nevermind.

Perhaps Christian. I think George will just work for others and come in 20-30 something overall.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
WeakMite said:
Unfortunately, according to the start list you only get 4 choices... Christian Vande Velde, Danny Pate, William Frischkorn & George Hincapie.

My guess is Vande Velde. I think he's going for a decent GC. I don't think George has any GC goals.... just stage wins.

Starting in 1998 - Julich, LA, Floyd then Levi... this is the first TdF in 10 years with no US podium threat.

Do either one of the ITT's match Pate's strengths? I'm guessing maybe the 2nd one (it's a few rolling hills).
Tyler Hamilton could be included in that list up until 2004 anyway.

Amazing that only four Americans are going to be present in the Tour. Of those, I would say CvV ends up being the highest in GC. I'll say 18th.

Hincapie in the 30s, Pate and Frischkorn won't finish (I think it's their first time).

·
Registered
960 Posts
moabbiker said:
Question: Will Versus list Hincapie as a favorite?
OF course they will... He's the most known american cyclist that will be in attendance.
(and the only American Cyclist to be named to 4 Olympic teams, congrats)
And I"d like to see George place well, but I think that would mean in the 30s somewhere, and CvV is probably a top 20...

I'm still crossing my fingers that Big George can get another stage win and not end up being solely dedicated to being THE DOMESTIQUE like he was for Lance for so many tours. Don't get me wrong, George's performance at the ToC was damn impressive and I don't think there are too many guys that can have a mechanical and then ride to the front and keep all 200 riders in check... but that's not gonna win ya the GC.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
VDV has been 24th and 25th the last two years riding in a support role for CSC. I think he'll probably move into the top 15 with a quasi-leadership role. It's also worth pointing out that a good number of the riders that placed ahead of him in both of those tours aren't racing this year so... that's a few more spots. A top 10 isn't completely out of reach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.