Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah know, it has certainly taken some getting used to re: the new forum layout. I do have some familiarty with a comparable system, as I am a regular lurker on a local (NorCal) motorcycling forum, bayarearidersforum.com (AKA BARF.) While I'm not 100 percent sure, I suspect that the BARF forum uses Vbulletin as well.

There are certain things that I have come to enjoy relative to the new features, such as kooky avatars (love 'em or hate 'em -- personally, I vacillate) the ability to see who's online and what they're viewing, quick polls (c'mon y'all! Get creative!) and other stuff.

Personally, I *hate* change. (How do you know when an alkie has finally let go? Look for the claw marks....)

I have, however, come to accept certain changes as a natural evolution of a community. I guess the one thing that seems very similar is when my job moved from a nice address off of Michigan Ave. in Chicago to an even *nicer* address in the Amoco building. Man, did we ever b*tch about that. Couldn't find the copier, couldn't find my manager's office...After a month, though, we wound up loving it. You get the picture.

There are things that I really, really, dislike about the new layout, but that's how I feel *today*.

What I do know is that the reason I keep coming back is for the people here. Good, sage advice tempered with some juvenile humor as well as some real classic wit -- not to mention the collective bike knowledge and (for me) knowing that there are people here who can meet every cycling interest: Whether you're a road racer, an ultra rider, a pretty gear junkie, a crit hound, a commuter or a courier. (Or all of the above!)

Anyhoo..(and I digess), what I suggest is this: Give the new forum thang 30 days. For dang's sake, would you quit a new training regimen after two days 'cause it sucks and it's hard?

That's my two cents on the changeover. I plan to stick around for 30 days, and if I don't like my online experience, then I will move. But I do think a critical component is the quality of the participants, and because I like about 97 percent of you, I would encourage you to stick around as well.

Radd out.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
I'm in

As I said in another post, I'm in until things settle down here or everyone moves on. If everyone moves on, I'll spend extra the time doing something meaningless like reading books.

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
i'm in

i believe it's pretty hard for frequent posters to be UNfamiliar with this damn VB board--there are just too many of them out there. i can't speak for others, but after i had considerable experience with both formats (long before RBR and MTBR switched to VB) the old forums gave a huge appeal as a result of being functional and non-flashy.

imo a few things of the old forum are vastly superior than the VB:
1) in the board area, you can see the titles of replies (many of them are title-only anyway) and more importantly the STRUCTURE of discussion (again, that's before you ever click into a thread);
2) you get the choice of viewing individual post or the entire thread (w/o needing to click into the thread itself and switching to this or that "mode");
3) compact. a screen of old forum contains much more than a screen of the new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm satisfied, I can't deny it.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like the new forum. Granted you have to actually check into a discussion before you can see the thread structure, but the thread map at the top of the screen does a good job of displaying it. I've always been irritated by the way interesting discussions vanish from the old forum as new variations on the old flame wars push them down the list. And I dig the avatars. Any excuse to post photos of old Minuteman album covers to a cycling forum is a good one.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes I will.....

...As long as the same people keep posting here then the format should not change the quality of the board.People like DaveHicky,Doug Sloan,J,MR GRUMPY, Funknuggets and the rest make this board what it is.The change in format will not change the ideas and knowledge that are posted.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Wise advice.

I like it, actually. However, I am one who welcomes change. I'll always be up for trying something different. Who knows, we might actually wind up liking this more. Besides, you couldn't do this on the old board! ;) :D :confused: :eek: :) :mad: :p :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
30 posts in 30 days...........

or something like that. (I'm surprised you didn't ask for 90 with your history)

I'm in till it goes away. Doesn't mean I have to like what I lose.

Len

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree, too much junk on the screen - even after I block everything with pop-up stoppers, ad removers, etc. I'm just here for the info provided. Could care less when someone first joined, how many posts they have, their login times and dates, avatar icons, small gifs, .. really, it's just clutter on the page. who cares?

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgot to add

forgot to add. I will probably be one the many dropping out. This forum is now to difficult to be worth my time.

Dave

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
A change can be a good thing...

I have always been resistant to any type of change. I have come to learn that few things in life ever stay the same. Change can be a good thing. Without change, life would be pretty darn boring. Keep an open mind and listen to what others have to say is an important part of life. One thing that hasn't changed is cycling on the open road is still about the same as when I started. Just more traffic and more choices when it comes to buying anything that is bike related.
Some names I have been seeing on this forum for about 4 years now. Lot's of good advice and knowledgable people. I'm in the the long haul.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Deal

The complaints over the new format made me nervous that some old aquaintances would be departing. I've become very fond of some of the people here.

Alex

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yes!

PseuZQ said:
Good, sage advice tempered with some juvenile humor as well as some real classic wit -- not to mention the collective bike knowledge and (for me) knowing that there are people here who can meet every cycling interest: Whether you're a road racer, an ultra rider, a pretty gear junkie, a crit hound, a commuter or a courier. (Or all of the above!)
Pseu, your comments are another reason folks should plan to stick around.

·
Formerly JL
155 Posts
Where will you go after 30 days? Are you going to make a competitor site? Use one of the other "wonderful" cycling sites?

You either like coming here for the content or you don't. If you're leaving because they decided to get software that's easier to maintain, then that's silly, IMHO. I understand where you're coming from and I agree with the intent, but I don't see the point. Like Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge, "You need to improvise, ADAPT".

My .03

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Sure you can.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
See? :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts