Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was so clear that CSC would be lead by Basso.... Who leads the team now?

PS. I am very diasapointed in the last minute BS the TDF has given us... I don't want to watch it out of protest, but I know I will... I hope I loose interest... and shxt can the viewing...

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
First...

pr0230 said:
It was so clear that CSC would be lead by Basso.... Who leads the team now?

PS. I am very diasapointed in the last minute BS the TDF has given us... I don't want to watch it out of protest, but I know I will... I hope I loose interest... and shxt can the viewing...
First of all, the TDF didn't do anything, it was the riders who did it, not the Tour itself. Blame the folks doping.

Anyway, 2 words for the leader of CSC. Bobby Julich methinks.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I said it somewhere else, but it would be funny, in kind of a sad way, if Bobby J took home a solid, maybe even podium, finish this year -- taking nothing away from Bobby, but now he'd have TWO asterisked results following huge doping scandals.

Yeah, I don't see a Voigt being an overall contenter, although Sastre is pretty reliable over 3 weeks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My perspective...

My wife works for CSC - the name sponsor, not the team. Every time she saw a Team CSC rider she'd say "grrrr...there goes my f**cking bonus...". Then she discovers Ivan Basso, and she thinks he's a hottie so she's right behind the team and sits up late with me watchin' the tour for a year or so...now he's out and it's all "grrrr...there goes my f**cking bonus..." again and "...are you staying up half the night AGAIN to watch that???". I'm hopin' they name O'Grady so this Aussie can at least get some peace and maybe some convivial company on the couch these long winter nights.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
mootinator said:
I heard that it sounds like Bobby may be the new team leader. He deserves it, lets see what he can do....
I feel a little bad for neglecting Sastre. True, he had more results over the past... 7 years or so.., but with time trials I feel Julich is a much better choice for CSC. This might be his last chance too. Then again, isn't Ekimov 54 years old by now?!

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
As much as I love the umericans, I feel that Julich is cooked and Zabriskie needs to mature some more. Carlos Sastre then. He can hang on the hills and but is only decent on the TTs.

fc

·
Registered
777 Posts
Maybe they'd be better off going for stage wins? Jens Voight can win on those long, rolling, hard-as-hell stages that GC contenders hate, Julich can TT with the best, and Sastre can win mountain stages. I'm not sure either Julich or Sastre is really a GC contender, but by changing strategies, CSC may be able to salvage their Tour.

The downside of the "pick one leader, and dedicate everything to his victory" approach is that, if you lose the leader, you've got nothing left. CSC and T-Mobile have found that out, but CSC may be better able to change course, given their depth.

--Shannon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Of course, Carlos Sastre is CSC leader now. Years ago Riis said that he could win the Tour someday. I don't thing so, but he is better rider for 3 weeks races than Julich and we don´t know what can Zabriskie do in the mountais. I think the best american in Tour will be Leipheimer... he could win this TDF.

·
Registered
169 Posts
mootinator said:
I heard that it sounds like Bobby may be the new team leader. He deserves it, lets see what he can do....

Ironic that Bobby made the podium under similar circumstances in 1999 after the Festina scandal.

During an interview, Bobby said team management would decide after the first time trial. That it is likley himself or Carlos Sastre to assume leadership duties.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Squeegy200 said:
Ironic that Bobby made the podium under similar circumstances in 1999 after the Festina scandal.

During an interview, Bobby said team management would decide after the first time trial. That it is likley himself or Carlos Sastre to assume leadership duties.
It would seem odd to decide before the mountains, especially as either Zabriskie or Julich is most likely to be best placed on GC yet Zabriskie has never climbed anywhere near well enough to be a threat, and Julich hasn't done so in nearly a decade. Seems the sensible thing to do would be to protect both Julich and Sastre until one or both clearly rides themselves out of the GC hunt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.