Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Cheney is done. Let's assume he is. Who steps in to fill out the ticket?

I have my ideas, but...

Oh, and if you want to know why I think he is done, this is the last straw that will break him:

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4029.shtml

Who thinks a chief of staff acts on something like this without the knowledge and approval of the man he works for?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
dr hoo said:
Who thinks a chief of staff acts on something like this without the knowledge and approval of the man he works for?
Wait, Cheney works for Bush? I thought it was the other way around.

I was thinking the same thing, though--Cheney is out. They're gonna need a fresh face in there to be competitive. Cheney can still run the show from his bunker.

Edit--a new VP would also set them up with a successor for 2008.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd guess Giuliani too, although he's given some denials.

"Break Cheney"? Well, I don't what the definition of "break" is. I don't see him "breaking".

If Cheney is not Bush's running mate, which I don't think he will be, it won't be because of this one, single, solitary issue. I suspect the decision has already been made one way or another, before this landmark, earthshattering, man "breaking" article.

If you've ever supervised people who work under you, you are well aware that you are not in on every single solitary decision made. Veiled rogues are everywhere.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Powell?

Powell would be an interesting choice. Guiliani would be, too.

However, I don't think Cheney will be gone.

Doug

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't count Cheney out. Remember, he got the job in the first place because Bush asked him to vet the candidates He is a wiley one, and clearly enjoys a great deal of respect from Bush in that peculiar father-worshiping conservative bent.

Moreover, dumping Cheney might send the "wrong" message, and this Administration is very fastidious about its message. Unless Cheney volunteers to step down (and it doesn't seem like he wants to at this point), Bush may stick with him.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
But don't forget--the thing about Republicans...

...is that they're often PROUD of things they ought to be ASHAMED of. This could come out looking like a patriotic gesture on the administration's part, reluctantly giving up one individual for the greater good.
Or something, hell, I can't follow their logic even under normal circumstances. But dare I suggest...Elizabeth Dole?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Powell has been used up. He was always an odd one out in this Administration, and now that his cache has been completely expended, he is of no use to them.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Good point, the way that hypocritical Republican phlianderers like Henry Hyde wasted the American people's money on their puritanical witch hunt was a huge shame.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
"used up?"

czardonic said:
Powell has been used up. He was always an odd one out in this Administration, and now that his cache has been completely expended, he is of no use to them.
If Powell could help ensure Bush being re-elected, I'd hardly say he's "used up." Don't you think he'd help with the minority and moderate vote?

Doug

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I was talking about his credibility, but his value as a moderating influence is just as suspect. You certainly can't argue that he has moderated Bush's first Administration (at least, I don't think that moderates will buy it).

Moreover, I don't think Powell wants the job. I certainly don't see him allowing himself to be used as bait for minority votes. I don't agree with his brand of integrity, but he still seems like a decent person. I don't think he would run unless his contribution would be valued, and I see him enjoying even less influence in a second Bush administration.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
good points

I agree that I doubt he would want the job. He might not even stick around as it is. I think he would be a better choice than Cheney, though.

Would Guiliani cinch the New York, at least City, vote, enough to take the state's electoral votes? He did seem to be pretty popular post 9/11, but then so was Bush, too.

Frequently, I think, these VP nominees come out of nowhere. If Cheney is out, that's what I would suspect.

Doug

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Maybe

While RG may not cinch the NY vote (when was the last time NY went Repub in a national election?) it would make it a good race.

Sine Rudy left office, Bloomberg has helped New Yorkers realize how good they had it under Guiliani.

Besides, he is a fellow Jasper.

DougSloan said:
I agree that I doubt he would want the job. He might not even stick around as it is. I think he would be a better choice than Cheney, though.

Would Guiliani cinch the New York, at least City, vote, enough to take the state's electoral votes? He did seem to be pretty popular post 9/11, but then so was Bush, too.

Frequently, I think, these VP nominees come out of nowhere. If Cheney is out, that's what I would suspect.

Doug

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Right, right--I always forget...

...that lying about a BJ is exactly the same thing as lying the nation into war.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts