Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been cycling for about two years and am now the father of a 6 month old stud with baby number two already on the way! Life is good, except for my cycling time. I've gone from riding 4 times a week to i'll be happy if i can just get out on Saturday mornings. I've been toying with the idea of bringing my bike to work and getting in some lunchtime rides. Sometimes i wonder if its worth it to ride for an hour or not but in my case some riding is going to be better than no riding.

Just wanted to know who's riding on their lunch breaks and whats your workout plan. My Saturday mornings are gold to me so if i can mix in some weekday rides without taking time away from the family then maybe i can satisfy the craving a little better.

Cheers!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've pretty much been doing this the last 10 years.. it's certainly made up the largest percentage of my rides ever since I started riding seriously.

I'm a software engineer.. I have almost always been lucky enough to not have meetings around lunchtime, and every office I've ever worked in has had a shower somewhere in the building that I could use. (Most of the companies actively look for this in their office to encourage employees to work out at lunch, my current employer certainly did, it was apparently a requirement when they leased the office.)

The best times are when you have a co-worker to ride with.. that only happened once, but for 2 years when I first started riding I had a much more experienced ex-racer for a manager who really taught me a lot.. (mostly how to suffer, he was really fast) Where I ride now I frequently see groups of riders who are from the same office. (A big defense contractor)

For me it really helps break up the work day.. I have much more concentration in the afternoon and early evening if I get exercise at lunch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i to do lunch time rides...i only get a 1/2hr but i have a 9mile loop that i alternate- 1 day CW other day CCW...mostly i will keep time and very intensity...plus i ride to work which is 10miles one way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Would really love to do this with it starting to get dark earlier and earlier (wound up getting caught w/ the last 8 miles of last night's ride in the dark w/ only a weak blinky for illumination), but alas there is no shower at my work...

At this point I almost need to leave work @ 4PM-4:30PM to get in a decent ride after work. I'm going to need to get a trainer sooner than I expected.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Depends on your location. When I worked in a suburban location with good roads around, I did a very large proportion of my riding on lunchtime rides. Like ben, I was lucky to have a shower available at the work location. I drove a sedan with a normal-sized trunk (Taurus), and I kept the bike in the trunk, with the wheels removed. I got so practiced at the wheel removal and installation that the whole process took less than 2 minutes at either end.

A 45-minute ride (15 minutes to shower and change) 3 or 4 times a week was definitely "worth it." When my office location was transferred to a downtown location those rides ended, but the good news was the location is closer to my home, so now I get my miles commuting.

You can cook up all sorts of workout plans, but since the rides are short you can just go hard most days if you want. I tried to push it moderately hard most days, and really hard at least once a week. I even measured out a 10-mile time-trial course that I would time occasionally to test myself. It was very hilly, and I really wanted to break 30 minutes (20 mph), but I never quite made it :-(

Like ben, I sometimes had co-workers to ride with. I was usually the more experienced rider, but there were some young strong folks who started killing me after I taught them a bit of technique. That was fun.

You are definitely on the right track to look for opportunities to fit rides in around the (happy) demands of your growing family. Go for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A good chunk of my weekday rides are lunchtime rides. I usually go 1 to 1 1/2 hours, but am lucky enough that I work from home. My evenings are too full with other commitments, so this works for me. Lunchtime rides are also good because the weather and the visibility are usually better that time of day.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,269 Posts
I try to do a lunchtime ride three days a week. They last maybe an hour. They don't cover many miles, but I do try to include at least 600 feet of climbing; a 1000 feet if I go for an hour and a half.

And indeed, I'm not quite as productive after grinding out those hills.

·
3,494 Posts
I eat packed lunches at my desk saving 5 hours a week. I exchange this for a 2-hour ride on Tuesday and another on Thursday, though sometimes I stretch it to 2.5 hours. This allows me to get in a meaningful ride, hit some hills, and have a good selection of routes to choose from. Sometimes I'll join up with a group ride, and sometimes I'll do hill climb intervals, but mostly I go hit one of my favorite hills solo.

On one notable occasion I did a "lunch-time" century but that was exceptional.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
me too, [email protected] and bring food from home.

i've also added trainer time in the evening, so i ride for an hour at lunch weekdays, an hour to 1.5 hours @ nite. i usually get a 2 or 3 hour ride in on sat or sunday depending on what's on the honey-do list. if i'm really lucky, i'll get a ride in on sat AND sunday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I usually start my lunch time rides when the time changes. Fortunately I can get out after work a couple days a week when there is daylight. I barely did any roller miles over the winter last year because I could get out at lunch. Great way to clear your mind as well.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Considering that I'm a stay at home dad, I ride a lot. I get out 2 or 3 days a week for a 2 to 3 hour ride with up to 3000 feet of climbing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a Part Time Dad

Divorced and I get my little girl every other weekend and my daughter is the topic not my bike during her weekend stays. Trying to stay with a group who goes hard and long every weekend is really tough. I do lunch ride intervals or just a good pace 50 min ride and yes often a a.m ride too. Intensity will make up for some duration. My rides are always 4:30a to 630-7a.m during the week that I dont have my child.
Don't expect to hang with a saturday group whos riding 10hrs each week unless you're like the freak i ride with, a natural. Family first bike second took me a divorce to learn that.

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
I'm in residential construction so I have a couple of advantages as far as lunchtime rides go . First, my bike and all of my tools stay locked in the back of my truck . Second, if I don't shower after a thirty to sixty minute ride it's not a big deal . I don't know what I'd do without my lunchtime rides . Don't underestimate how good it would feel to blast out a quick 15+ miles in the middle of a work day . It puts a big smile on my face .

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was what I was thinking about doing since the light is getting less everyday. Sound like we are all on the same track. Here in Omaha, we actually have some nice bike paths I hear about so I am going to try them out com Monday.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts