Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's Gonna Win The 2006 Tour de France ???

Making a list, looking for some speculation. Who's the heir apparent for Discovery?

You suppose we can do this thread without the "L Word" ??? :D :D :D

I think Ullrich is past his prime. He got eclipsed for 7 years.

Basso . . . I think he'll eclipse Ullrich again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
1. Basso
2. Vino
3. Popovych
4. Valverde
5. Mancebo
6. Levi
7. Ulrich
8. Floyd
9. Rassmussen
10. Horner

Who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see. I am sure at elast 5 of the 10 I mentioned will be in the top 10, probably in a different order. I put my money on Basso for the GC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Good list...

Soggy Feed Bag said:
1. Basso
2. Vino
3. Popovych
4. Valverde
5. Mancebo
6. Levi
7. Ulrich
8. Floyd
9. Rassmussen
10. Horner

Who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see. I am sure at elast 5 of the 10 I mentioned will be in the top 10, probably in a different order. I put my money on Basso for the GC.
That's a good list there. I'd have to agree that Basso is probably going to take the GC, given that he's not too wiped out from completing the Giro. He wasn't last year, but then again, he wasn't going all out in the middle of the race when he got sick. Who knows how a full and complete Giro will affect him. Is it possible to do the double anymore? Last was Pantani in 98, but we'll see, and the only reason Pantani won the Tour in 98 is Jan cracked one day, and that was it.

I think I have to disagree with Ullrich down in 7th. He'll be in the hunt, and could very well win it again this year. He certainly will be on the podium considering his record in past Tours and all.

If Valverde rides anything like he did last year, he could round out the podium for me, with Popo rolling in possibly 4th.

I'd like to see:

1. Basso or Ullrich (whoever doesn't win of course rolls in 2nd)
3. Valverde
4. Popo

I think Horner will be opportunistic and go for stages. He won't have much support in going for overall, plus, he'll be placed in charge of riding for Evans, who we could see break the top 10, if they're not working too hard trying to get McWhiner in the Green jersey. I don't think that Horner will get into the top 10, but I think he's very capable of it.

I also think we could see interesting Tours from Hincapie, McGhee, Rogers, Evans (as mentioned before), Mayo (if he can get his stuff together), a TT or prologue win from Millar maybe, Zabel's return to the Green jersey, Boonen wiping up both Zabel and McEwen. Could be an interesting Tour this year.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
It's all Ullrich this year. The tour is geared towards him, he looks good, this early in the season. I think he's finally got it all together. I wouldn't mind Basso winning either, but I think Ullrich has this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
FTF said:
It's all Ullrich this year. The tour is geared towards him, he looks good, this early in the season. I think he's finally got it all together. I wouldn't mind Basso winning either, but I think Ullrich has this one.
Holy crap...I just opened zombo.com in 6 tabs of Firefox....
I think i crossed into another dimension.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
_hamilton said:
Holy crap...I just opened zombo.com in 6 tabs of Firefox....
I think i crossed into another dimension.
Remeber, the only limit is yourself.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
free_jazz said:
erm, will tyler hamilton be competing???
If a team is dumb enough to pick him up. If he does, I say he finishes 85th. Riding clean is hard.
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,267 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say "too early to predict." Still freezing cold where i'm at. Now I can tell you who I'd like to see win, and that is Ullrich. But need to put off the predicting until May when we can see how people have been training over the winter.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I'll go out on a limb and say "too early to predict." Still freezing cold where i'm at. Now I can tell you who I'd like to see win, and that is Ullrich. But need to put off the predicting until May when we can see how people have been training over the winter.
Indeed, I'm not putting any money on anyone until I have a good notion of what the odds are. It's early days yet, let's enjoy the spring classics and the Giro before placing wagers. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
97 Posts
Maybe I am right, maybe I'm wrong, but Ulrich just does not seem to have it anymore. The past two years he lost to Lance, as well as Basso. People keep forgeting that. They keep saying this is Jan's year. Basso is at an age where he is getting better whereas I think Jan is at an age where he is only going to slowly decline. He was 2'10 behind Basso in 2004 and 2'20 in 2005.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
Armstrong training.

promtber said:
Armstrong will be back racing. He has been seen traning solo with team support.
I hope he will return to my delight and to the distress of many and any road racers out there!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top