Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And do you use it? Trying to convince someone that it is not needed and just a want for now...

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
yes we have one. no it doesn't get used. if it was nicer, maybe it would get more use, but still not much.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
We had one in a previous house--a lovely installation with a redwood deck that was totally private & off the master bedroom.

We used it a lot, so much so that we did the rough-in for a tub on the last reno, but had to dump that house before we lived in it so no tub installed.

I think there is nothing better than a good soak outside, and unlike jacuzzi tubs (that never get filled) they don't make noise that interferes with other people inside the house.

One thing that I have noticed is that you can sometimes pick them up cheap on CL, since people either love or hate them, so new owners often rip them out.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
My house had one when I bought it, but I never used it. I'm not a hot tub guy. Plus, the sound of the pump going really annoyed me, and I didn't want to pay to heat the thing. So it sat there, unused and unloved, for five years, until I got married. My wife didn't want it either, so she called some guys who came and hauled it away for $100. There didn't seem to be any market for the equipment, even though it was all expensive stuff, so I threw it all away.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
paredown said:
We had one in a previous house--a lovely installation with a redwood deck that was totally private & off the master bedroom.

We used it a lot, so much so that we did the rough-in for a tub on the last reno, but had to dump that house before we lived in it so no tub installed.

I think there is nothing better than a good soak outside, and unlike jacuzzi tubs (that never get filled) they don't make noise that interferes with other people inside the house.

One thing that I have noticed is that you can sometimes pick them up cheap on CL, since people either love or hate them, so new owners often rip them out.
I always assumed hot tube = jacuzzi. What's the difference, no jets?

Never had one, but in my mind I think i'd prefer a sauna over a hot tub.

Plum

·
Banned
392 Posts
I love mine

use it almost every night in the winter, less often in the summer. So sweet to soak up the heat and watch the stars.

I get it hot and then turn it off before I get in to enjoy the peace and quiet of living in the country.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Plum said:
I always assumed hot tube = jacuzzi. What's the difference, no jets?

Never had one, but in my mind I think i'd prefer a sauna over a hot tub.

Plum
Sorry, unclear--I was thinking the Jacuzzi tubs that are installed in an interior bathroom. I've known lots of people who bought houses with them installed (maybe it was an '80s thing?)---and they all say that they have never used them because they are slow to fill, use tons of hot water from the HW tank and are deafening especially if they are in an upstairs bathroom...
dean

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Had one in the house I grew up in..never used it. My neighbor has a really nice one hidden under a shade arbour that he has used maybe 5 times in five years...and he is single and we live in the hot club spot of town right now. I was sure I would have seen him many times out there with some naked chic, but no such luck. I think they are a waste of money as does anyone know that has one. I do have a jet tub in my master bedroom that I think we have used 6 times in 5 years.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
<br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf6m_james-brown-celebrity-hottub_music"> James brown celebrity hottub</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/codordog">codordog</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/music">Explore more music videos.</a></i>

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
We have one. It hasn't been used in years. Matter of fact, I'm scared to look in there. We really need to get rid of that thing.

·
Banned
392 Posts
Love Commander said:
Any idea of how much $$$ a regular sized hot tube adds to your utility bills every month during regular use?
It's hard to separate out from all the other things that get used more in winter vs summer (heat, cooking, & lights), but I run mine every day in the winter and I've never had an electric bill over $80.

Crazy to see how many peeps here have 'em and don't use 'em. Best thing ever for sore tired muscles. Makes you sleep like a champ, too.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I've removed hot tubs from two houses that I bought with them. The idea of a hot tub is great. The maintenance (time, effort, money), time (to go sit and relax doing nothing frequently enough to make it all worthwhile), and expense (heating, repairs, etc.) not so much. If you currently sit around each night watching TV that doesn't really interest you, then a hot tub is probably a better use of your time. If you don't have 30-40 minutes to spend 3-4 times a week year-round for the next 10 or more years, then it will become a bit of a pain to have around.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Same was true for a pool with me. I had one when I lived in Phoenix and would not be interested in having another.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
nOOky said:
And do you use it? Trying to convince someone that it is not needed and just a want for now...
We don't use it much in the summer, but it's great for colder weather. Ours came with the house. If you do get one, get a good efficient one with a good gaurantee as the cheap ones will break down in short order and cost more to heat and such in the long run. You'll also need a 220 outlet to hook it to so factor that into the cost.

Not a big deal to maintain. Just drain and fill a couple times a year, spray off the filter weekly with a hose and throw in the shock once a week.

//actually my older kid and his friends have been using it a lot more latelty.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
<br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf6m_james-brown-celebrity-hottub_music"> James brown celebrity hottub</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/codordog">codordog</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/music">Explore more music videos.</a></i>
All I see is a big black box.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Love Commander said:
Any idea of how much $$$ a regular sized hot tube adds to your utility bills every month during regular use?
I figure in cold weather it can be up to $40-50 a month for a larger tub--in the summer not so much.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
We have one at our vacation home that we share with other families. I use it all the time. Of course, it is at 11,000 feet so anytime is hot tub (spa) time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
3 of our friends have them. 2 sit unused and one is used but he also takes baths instead of showers and has a bad hip which is relieved by a soak in the morning and at night so that one's a bit of an anomaly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts