Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone beat an 85 R300 (may be SR300, I can't remember).

It set me back $365 (I got it in 86). Suntour Cyclone deraillers, sugino crank, BB&seatpost, tange levin headset, vetta saddle, miche pedals (christophe clips)and hubs, rigida 1320 rims, dia compe aero brakes, cannondale bars (which busted on me in 93 when I jumped a curb).

I stripped the paint, sanded and polished with simichrome. The frame is rather bling bling now :)

I also had to weld a new rear derailler hanger on as the first one got trashed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So can we have a picture then?
I have an old frame guessing its a 2.8.But could be a old mutisport as its running 650c wheels. Bought it off ebay for my wife as it had been powdercoated a bright pink.
Turns out I use it more than her when I run erands, My guessing is who wants to steal a bright pink bike.
I'll stick a picture up later on.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only things stock are the sugino seatpost, tange levin headset, and suntour cyclone shifters. The crank (a sugino)is from an 86 R400 (the original sugino crank was less aerodynamic). Also I bent the original fork, the current fork is a Rodriguez.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like it. You are right when you say it looks bling. I'm betting if you look at it too long you'd get arc eye.

But don't you think you need a few cannondale stickers on there though? I bet you could get 4 on the down tube a couple on the top tube and forks another couple on the seat tube and mayby be a bit different and stick some on the seat stays. I bet you could pick some up off ebay.
Like principal skinner said in the simpsons "Whats the point of driving a honda if no one knows its a honda!"

(Take all this with a pinch of salt I think it looks great)

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was stripped, painted, stripped, painted, stripped (and possibly painted and stipped again). I originally stripped it then decided to paint it and restrip it. Then my brother decided to paint it behind my back when I was away at college(aargh). I'll never forget the day I first took a pocket knife to it to strip the paint, the day I rode 295 miles on it(bicycle marathon of columbus back in 87), that night puking up whole strands of spaghetti while on my hands and knees pulling out my stomach with my fist, or the numerous 2nd place finishes I got at the local races in my sneakers t shirt and non biking shorts beating out guys on C record, the day I bought it trying to nickle and dime the salesman for a free bottle cage and bottle and to knock $5 off the $365 price tag(it worked), I love that bike. And back in 85 the only difference between the R300 and the top of the line R1000(besides over $1000) were the components (dura ace 7400 for the R1000), the finish of the welds (they sanded the welds on the R1000 more and called them "alumina classic" welds, and the forks(R300 cro moly, vs aluminum on the R1000). though the current fork is significantly lighter than the original fork. Back in 85 the R900 their 2nd from top of the line was a mix of campy nuovo record/super record with standard brake levers (non aero). Those were the days. I remember the local shop selling a full super/nuovo record equipped lotus for $599 on special. Nostalgia....

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
good idea on the stickers John! I think I'll have a couple custom stickers made up "PRE-CAAD", "PRE-SAECO" & "PRE-BANDWAGON-DALE". Better yet, I'll just plaster it with Nike swooshes...I look forward to seeing that episode of the Simpsons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like I say not too sure of the year. But its know as the "Pink Lady."

Should just about be able to make out all the cannondale decals of my cross bike hung up behind her I hope.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Isnt CD and Trek kinda new at the bike business?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't comment for 1983-1985 (cannondales first 3 years)but I have the 1986 and 1987 catalogs and they did not offer a stripped dale. Can't comment for 1988-1989 either. Anything 1990 and later I don't consider "back in the day". From 1990 on the rear triangle tubes were pinner (I just got a 1990 3.0 yesterday). 1989 and earlier were beefcake. Its funny how cannondale gained a reputation by being so MASSIVE and throughout the years they have become more and more girlyman....are the current Klein's similar to the orignal dales? (IE Massive tubing thruout including the 2 rear diagonal triangle tubes). I know they did offer "naked" frames later on (1990 and later) but not sure what years.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
shokhead said:
Isnt CD and Trek kinda new at the bike business?
I think Trek was 71-72,CD was 71,Specialized was 71 and Giant was 72,all pretty new to bicycling compared to someone like Fuji,1899.

·
Registered
9 Posts
3.0 crit

I don't remember the exact year I bought it.I think it was 1988.Brand new 3.0 criterium geometry frame,Dura Ace 7 speed,mavik open 4 cd rims,great set up in its day.This bike was my only road bike untill this year.I have raced and trained on it all these years, with all the original components.I recently purchaced a Dura Ace Six 13(great bike,insane amount of stickers), but I'm pondering what to do with my old frame.The components are shot and the paint is battered but the frame and fork are otherwise fine.The clear coat looks cool.But is there any way to fit a 9 or 10 speed grupo ?I bet with a carbon fork,stem,bars,and seat post she would like a dream.I would appretiate ideas and info.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got a 1990 3.0 Criterium frame and have yet to build it up. I just pulled apart the rear dropout. It is not very difficult to pull it 4mm (thus going from 126mm to 130mm). I don't see any problem with putting 10 speed stuff on it. Though I'm just getting back into cycling so please correct me if I'm wrong. My 3.0 is black and I'm building up a custom "Black Lightning style bike". Its difficult finding a square taper black crank these days(I have a nice chorus BB I want to use). I'm convinced ISIS, Octalink and any other crap they've come out with is pure marketing. OK well not pure but 99.99% and I don't care about 0.01%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
shifters

What are you going to do about the shifters? The 3.0 has the down tube studs for SIS shifters.Are there descent down tube shifters available which are compatable with current derailules?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.