Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a contest to find the RBR rider who puts significant miles on the junkiest bike. Rules are that the bike must be ridden on rides exceeding 25 miles and total mileage per year must exceed 1000. If there is sufficient response I'll narrow the candidates down to the 4 junkiest bikes and submit a poll for everyone to vote. I'll award the winner a prize to upgrade his bike. Extra points for pictures!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Winners no matter how you look at it.

Not sure if they are RBR members (I am leaning toward "not"), but a group of cyclists stopped in my LBS the other day for some work as they came through town. They were riding nearly new bikes from some sort of "Mart" store. I would set the value of these bikes to be exactly equal to the parts that they bought at the shop on the day they were there (said another way, the only thing of value is what they bought during their visit). Most of the parts on these "new" bikes were already nearly worn out.

Anyway, they apparently decided to ride from FL to AK one day, so they started on their trip after buying a couple bikes (they have made it at least as far as MO).

I have no pictures, but in my mind these people will win this contest as they are very committed to their plan, and are making it happen on some very modest machines!

They may not win any races or prizes, but they are winners in my book...may be some day they will try nicer bikes and appreciate this accomplishment that much more!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
hmm... With my wife not working now, my budget is extremely limited. So the bike I have is a kent made with 2200 components. Wheels and other parts are generic! Unless she starts working soon, it's the same one I will ride the MS150 with next year. I've had it less than two months, and have logged over 300 miles so far.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
What, like lugged steel frames, downtube shifters or even as trashy as to have but one gear that might even be of a fixed nature? Overall ugliness to the point that people will praise the relative beauty of the headbadge? That sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I know "junky" is a term left to subjective opinions, but due to my financial status (I'm in college, and being a diabetic turning 23 [having to pay my own health insurance now]), I just can't afford to fix simple things like my bottom bracket making slight squeaks, my rear wheel very recently becoming visibly out of true, or my rear dérailleur hanger becoming bent after a spill going 18mph (the neighbor's kids threw soda-can sized rocks out in the road when I was out for an hour or so and wasn't expecting them)

Typical rides of mine: http://www.mapmyride.com/user/644299720915/lalahsghost

My components are allegedly Shimano 2200, but they feel and act like they were made out of cast iron. The brakes don't seem to stop that well, even after reading and troubleshooting Via "Zinn's repair guide" book. The front fork blades are rusted, and are the front/rear QR skewers. hell, even some of the frame welds are starting to rust, and I keep the bike in the garage 85% of the time. The saddle's foam seems to have disconnected from the plastic part of the saddle, and can clearly be felt moving and removing itself from the saddle sometimes. All in all with the seat wedge and everything else... The bike comes in at around 25lbs, yet gets me around the hilly parts of north-central West Virginia about 200-250 miles a week. If I win, I hope the part/whatever is compatible with the lovely and outdated technology this beauty has.

zpl said:
My intuition tells me that the people who ride the junkiest bikes are department store bike owners who are less likely to participate in RBR forums. :)
Did I say that it only cost me $199 new? (Isn't that almost one step above a dept store bike?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think this should be the automatic winner, no offense or anything

Those derailleurs are definitely not 2200. Shimano 2200, though basic, is a fairly usable groupo. These look to be some sort of road version of their Tourney parts. They also have a similar look to the old 105 and 600 components from the early 90s, especially the cage.

lalahsghost said:
I know "junky" is a term left to subjective opinions, but due to my financial status (I'm in college, and being a diabetic turning 23 [having to pay my own health insurance now]), I just can't afford to fix simple things like my bottom bracket making slight squeaks, my rear wheel very recently becoming visibly out of true, or my rear dérailleur hanger becoming bent after a spill going 18mph (the neighbor's kids threw soda-can sized rocks out in the road when I was out for an hour or so and wasn't expecting them)

My components are allegedly Shimano 2200, but they feel and act like they were made out of cast iron. The brakes don't seem to stop that well, even after reading and troubleshooting Via "Zinn's repair guide" book. The front fork blades are rusted, and are the front/rear QR skewers. hell, even some of the frame welds are starting to rust, and I keep the bike in the garage 85% of the time. The saddle's foam seems to have disconnected from the plastic part of the saddle, and can clearly be felt moving and removing itself from the saddle sometimes. All in all with the seat wedge and everything else... The bike comes in at around 25lbs, yet gets me around the hilly parts of north-central West Virginia about 200-250 miles a week. If I win, I hope the part/whatever is compatible with the lovely and outdated technology this beauty has.

Did I say that it only cost me $199 new? (Isn't that almost one step above a dept store bike?)

·
Registered
255 Posts
call it what you want but here is/was my road bike

80's some thing schwinn

the rear tire blew out on a long hill an by the time i got it stopped the rim was toasted an i dought i'll ever repair it...would be cheaper to buy all new bike

so i'm using an old GT mtb with semi slick

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
Extra points for pictures!
Here's my own beauty. This Sea Monkey gets regular use. I ride it distances and often. It is pretty junky, but it all works, more or less. I just found a broken spoke on it today and will have to fix it. The rear D has been bent a few times and is about ready to break. The big ring is Biopace. I keep meaning to swap it but I don't get to the big much cuz the 42 is plenty. The brake levers are the sweetest, I don't know what they were off of but they sure have a nice feel. Just broke a cable on the rear brake tho, so I guess I'll have to fix that too....

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
guess I should post a pic... My ride uses schrader valves. It's not old, but very basic. I went on a forty mile ride today and at least I did get a compliment on my tape which I think is ugly - bright orange & yellow tiger striped.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Spudzie said:
call it what you want but here is/was my road bike

80's some thing schwinn

the rear tire blew out on a long hill an by the time i got it stopped the rim was toasted an i dought i'll ever repair it...would be cheaper to buy all new bike

so i'm using an old GT mtb with semi slick
That's a lovely bike, but that saddle is horrible. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.