Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 speed- yuk (though I have never used it)
7 speed - tolerable
6 speed - YUP!
5 speed - Not that much of a retrogrouch
STI- are you kidding me?
Indexing - won't catch me clicking
Octalink - OUCH!
ISIS - ISIS SCHMISIS
Threadless Forks, (AHEADSETs), Clamp-on stems - about as schwaa as Rico Suave
The fact that everything now is disposable sealed cartridge bearing - can't even overhaul, the disposable society we live in, where's the love? 99% of clamp on stems look downright stupid and I've yet to find one worthy of late 80's, early 90's Campy. WHat I want is something like the Cinelli Quill stem 1A (or 1R can't rember, the one that mysteriously clamps though you can't see the mechanism). Suggestions?

SLR brakes kick arse though (no experience with the dual pivot but I'm guessing they work sweet, my original single pivot SLR from 88 work real well (the ones below 105 nevertheless).

What have I missed?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Cinelli 1R had the mystery bolt. It pulled down on a wedge, whiched pushed forward a serrated, curved plate which came in contact with the backside of the bar. Unless your Cinelli bar had really beefy serrations as well, they would slip, ruining the bar and stem at the same time!

G

·
fbagatelleblack said:
You're using them new-fangled metal rims?! You kids these days, I swear... Give me a good, sturdy wooden tubular rim any day.

;)

FBB
You were caught in favour of STI's as recently as last week sir!

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
toomanybikes said:
You were caught in favour of STI's as recently as last week sir!
STI... Sure! But metal rims?!?! Even I have my limits!!!

Actually, I hear wooden rims are quite comfy. When my college cycling coach (John Allis) trashed his back from decades of riding, he could only ride wooden rims.

- FBB

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
About a year ago, my five speed cluster bit the dust, and the only thing I could find that fit was a six speed one. Damn was I confused. What do I do with all those gears? How do I choose?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wait A Minute Here, John Allis ???

Did FBB say that John Allis was his college cycling coach!!!!!???? The JOHN ALLIS of the "Allis Loop"? When I was a cycling munchkin with dreams of racing in Europe..being the first American to win the TdF and all my friends were thinking the same, John Allis was our hero. He raced in the Olympics and in Europe and he was cool looking. I think Forbes wins on style points alone (style= being coached by John Allis). I read he works/owns a bike shop in Mass. and want to visit badly but don't want to look like a lame-o...("Hi Mr Allis.. uh... you are so cool"). I still have the map where my friends and I sketched out the "Loop".
peace

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Djudd said:
I think Forbes wins on style points alone (style= being coached by John Allis).
Well, thanks for the props, but I've never won any style contests, and all of John Allis's good efforts were wasted on me as I never got above Cat 3.

Djudd said:
I read he works/owns a bike shop in Mass. and want to visit badly but don't want to look like a lame-o...("Hi Mr Allis.. uh... you are so cool"). I still have the map where my friends and I sketched out the "Loop".
peace
Hint: Instead of showing up at the shop (Belmont Wheelworks in Belmont, MA), call it and ask what time the morning ride leaves. This used to vary between 5 and 6AM depending on the timing of the sunrise. The ride starts right out front of the shop. There used to be short (20 mile), medium (30 mile) and long (~40 miles, if you included the distance from Harvard square to Belmont) options, with the "long" option being the complete Allis loop. Then just show up and ride! I could not tell you whether John still leads these rides, but at the very least, you will meet a bunch of people who know him and could arange an introduction. Make sure to wear a helmet.

DISCLAIMER: All my information is 20 years old. It is conceivable that things might have changed since I was silly enough to ride the Allis loop at ~5AM four or five days each week.

Have fun!

- Forbes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts