Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... Im sick of leaving books on aircraft... I did it for the second time. To a much lesser extent, I am kinda getting sick of having books everywhere...

So, anyone got a Kindle? Any good? Thoughts?

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Leaving a Kindle on a plane would be waaay more 'spensive.

Plus, they don't even smell like musty paper or force your hands in crazy contortions as you try to one-handedly read the last few pages of a 500 pg. book.

Sincerely yours,
Literary Luddite

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
catzilla said:
Leaving a Kindle on a plane would be waaay more 'spensive.

Plus, they don't even smell like musty paper or force your hands in crazy contortions as you try to singlehandedly read the last few pages of a 500 pg. book.

Sincerely yours,
Literary Luddite
Electronics dont get left on aircraft... for some reason I do it with books all the time...

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
catzilla said:
Wow. Both paper-cutty and perverse. I like it.
Paper-cutty... good new word for the day!

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Paying better attention is a lot cheaper than a kindle.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I left a book on a plane once, and didn't realize till the return flight when I was stuck in the Airport for 8 hours. I was about 3/4 through the book too. I blame the wine that went along with the upgrade to business class.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
you can't write in the margins of a kindle
you can't write messages on the front matter when you pass kindle files onto friends
you can't use shelves to showcase intellectual cultural capital with a kindle
you can't slam a kindle when you don't like what you are reading

case closed.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
My Sony 505 has spent over 200,000 miles in the air over the last two years and has never once been close to being left behind.

LenJ and I use that device, I have friends with the Kindle (1 and 2).

I chose the Sony because a) it's not beige plastic, b) it doesn't have a QWERTY, c) I need another wireless device like a hole in the head and d) every review I've read has complained long and hard about the button placement being a PITA that causes unwanted page turns. LenJ bought his because I threatened him

Amazon has a big advantage in terms of its library, but you don't get to save the books to your computer. Their wireless offers no advantage to me that's not the way I buy books. I'll never be sitting in an airport and feel bad because I don't have some book. At any given time, I've got 30 on my device and if that isn't enough, then I need to HTFU.

For grins, go read through the reviews on the website, ignore the 4 star (zealots) and 1 star (moreons) and focus on the 2's and 3's. Also ignore the idiots yammering about lack of color and backlighting. The truth lies in there.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Can you torrent kindle books? Library is still free, for now*.

*Hours severely cut back, but open a couple days a week.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
ampastoral said:
you can't write messages on the front matter when you pass kindle files onto friends
You can't pass Kindle files on to friends.

Unless their Kindle is registered to the same Amazon account as yours. Of course there are illegal ways to get around this, just as with all digital content.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
KWL said:
You can't pass Kindle files on to friends.

Unless their Kindle is registered to the same Amazon account as yours. Of course there are illegal ways to get around this, just as with all digital content.
BAM, even better...

KWL FTW!!!!

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Personally... I would rather hold onto a book and read it. I've read from a coworkers Kindle a few times and it's nifty but thats only because I'm a geek.
I just spent $50 on books yesterday.. I've read over 15 books and 20 magazines this year already.. Seeing a super thick novel in your hands is comforting I guess. I also enjoy having a collection of books on a shelf. Sure... I read fantasy and weird science fiction so people sometimes pick on me but they can STFU. My library is filled with cycling books.. fantasy.. and all manners of randomness. Sadly if I were to get a Kindle much of this wouldn't be available to me on it.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
catzilla said:
Interesting point...
You point out a lot of code. It's gonna be a long six weeks, huh? :p

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
As terryB says, I have a Sony reader....I've had it for 4 months and love it.

I went back & forth and finally decided it was a realtivly low risk option. I read a lot and the breakeven on hardbacks (which is what I buy is around 30 books or so. I read that in 6 months or less.

The fact that it is better built than the kindle and is not a proprietary format (You can actually check out library books onto the Sony reader) made it a no brainer.

YMMV

Len

·
Super Moderator
40,828 Posts
Kindles don't really burn very well. What the hell kind of book is that? It could set repression back years....

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I have a Kindle. It was given to me as a gift on my last birthday (didn't ask for it).

I like it. Would I like the Sony better? Maybe. Are there downsides? Sure, a couple.

But I like it just fine. I don't miss "real" books at all, and I sure don't miss the teetering piles of paperbacks on my nightstand and dresser.

And you CAN annotate books (write in the margin, so to speak) if you want, and you can slam it if you are using the leather cover that comes with it. In fact, it closes most satisfyingly.

The main page turning button is poorly placed and very sensitive, but I got used to that in about an hour. The wireless burns up battery like crazy if you leave it on, but why would you? It's not backlit (I see this as a virtue, others dislike it).

But it works fine, the books download quite quickly, and so far it has definitely been cheaper than buying actual books (seeing as some of the older ones are significantly marked-down).

I like it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts