Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been going through two days of hell. Who knows where we got em? We haven't been any where, haven't had people over.

Cleaning every peice of clothes we have, threw away our beds, carpets... All while raising three kids under three, one with special needs. I think I am going to go crazy.

Anyone able to share any experiences with the little bedtime nibblers?

Please help... k' thanks... :mad2: :mad2:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
PLEASE stop poasting....we don't want to get Bed Bugs to get in here!!! BTW, good luck and sorry to hear you are going through this. We had them at work (a high rise tower) and it took an army of bug killers and lots chemicals (probably used during Viet Nam) to kill those things.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
There is a new method using extreme heat to get rid of them. Saw it on TLC or Discovery Health, supposed be the best non pesticide way to get rid of them. With the little ones around I would worry about residue using chemicals.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
holy ****.

Reproduction

All bedbugs mate by traumatic insemination.[3][23] Because the female has no genital opening, the male pierces her abdomen with his hypodermic genitalia and ejaculates into the body cavity. Especially desperate males sometimes mistake other males for females and occasionally fatally wound the latter in the abdomen.[24]

The "bedbug alarm pheromone" consists of (E)-2-octenal and (E)-2-hexenal. It is released when a bedbug is disturbed, as during an attack by a predator. A 2009 study demonstrated that the alarm pheromone is also released by male bedbugs to repel other males who attempt to mate with them.[25]

·
Registered
146 Posts
also would recommend getting mattress covers for the new beds as a precautionary measure. they like to hide out in the cracks n'stuff. i got bit last year while living in an apt for 5 months. we immediately got mattress covers as well as all the other common sense stuff and got lucky. those three bites, (breakfast, lunch and dinner) itched like a mofo and scarred for almost a year. hopefully you don't react to their bites like i did. nasty little fuc$ers.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Us too. We got back from a trip to Seattle and the kids started getting the classic looking bites (4 days after we got home). Luckily we caught it early and were super aggressive with washing and hired expert bug help. We had the kids rooms sprayed and gassed and then again 7 days later. In those 7 days we never opened their doors. After the second treatment we let the rooms air out for several days. Apparently, the germination time is 7-10 days for new eggs to hatch. Early in the gestation period the egg "shells" are resistant to absorbing the chemicals necessitating a second application. We also purchased bed bug proof mattress covers to "trap" anything inside if still living.

These bugs are on the rise all around the USA. The guy that treated the rooms said he does a couple calls a day here in Phoenix. He is completely freaked out by these things and strips off all his clothes before he enters his home. I guess the eggs are very sticky and easily transported. Make sure you wash things on Hot as I guess the magic killing temp is 130 F. Also, since the eggs are so sticky we put everything in trash bags in the kids rooms, sealed them up and were careful transporting to the wash.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
rward325 said:
There is a new method using extreme heat to get rid of them. Saw it on TLC or Discovery Health, supposed be the best non pesticide way to get rid of them. With the little ones around I would worry about residue using chemicals.
Yup. Reported on NPR as well. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seamust,

I had some serious bedbug problems at one point and a lazy roommate who wasn't allergic to them. Basically, I was getting bit left and right with big bite marks on me while he wasn’t feeling the effects and didn’t care. Even his girlfriend was getting bit and he wouldn’t do anything about it.
The thing is that you can have bedbugs for years and not know about it if you aren’t allergic to their bites. I was talking to the exterminator about this because I couldn’t figure out why I was being bit and my roommate wasn’t when the biggest bedbug concentration was found in his room. The Exterminator said that my roommate was getting bit as well but his skin just wouldn’t flare up around the bites and he wouldn’t feel anything because he, like some people, just don’t have any allergies to the bugs.

Best thing you can do is clean from top to bottom and get an exterminator in. I had wood floors so that helped a bit and my bed legs were metal, which the bugs don’t like.

If there is any way to get your family out of the house for a few days, clean the place top to bottom and get an exterminator in for a couple passes that would be my best suggestion.

Remember that cleaning doesn’t always help, you can wash everything you own but these things live in little cracks by baseboards, in electrical outlets and other near impossible places to reach.

When cleaning/prepping for an exterminator move everything away from the walls so that those places can be sprayed easily.

These things can also live for 18 months between feedings so that is something to keep in mind.

If you want some more advice/war stories then let me know. I had these things for months without knowing I had them. These things are awful so if there’s any information I can share to help you out just let me know.

Just me dealing with them in an apartment was a nightmare but having a young family and dealing with this is beyond anything I’ve had to deal with. It took me two passes from an exterminator and months to get rid of these things just in a small apartment.

Good luck with everything.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
woodys737 said:
Us too. We got back from a trip to Seattle and the kids started getting the classic looking bites (4 days after we got home).
Did you ever see any signs of them in your home? You might not have brought them home because the bites take a few days to show up.

Here is an article about dogs that find bedbugs.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Art853 said:
Did you ever see any signs of them in your home? You might not have brought them home because the bites take a few days to show up.

Here is an article about dogs that find bedbugs.
Neat article! We found mostly eggs and one adult (the bug guy found them). We were confused about the timing, however, we can't be sure we picked them up in Seattle either. Kids could have brought them home from school or I could have easily had some contact at work.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Someone told me that you can pour Diatomaceous earth along all the baseboards to help kill them. Does anyone know if this is true? We don't have a problem, but with all my travel I'm shocked we haven't brought back little friends.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Brought them home from a Motel 6

They hide everywhere and come out at night. The only way I could get rid of them was to starve them. They need to have a blood meal or they can't reproduce.

I rubbed this sticky stuff on the bed legs so they couldn't climb up. I got the sticky stuff from a garden supply shop. People put it on the trunks of trees to keep insects from climbing up. I moved the bed away from the wall, and made sure that the blankets never touched the floor. They couldn't get to me. After a month or so they were gone.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've got some in my college dorm room. Some of my stuff is in storage already and will be there until September. I'm hoping that that stuff is free of bed bugs, but that may be misplaced hope. What would you do in that situation?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
They're an epidemic in my old neighborhood. Once, I woke up to find the telltale pattern of bites on my arm, and immediately went to war.

Bought a new mattress that day, laundered everything that could be washed, vacummed the walls and floor, tore up the old carpeting, dusted etc. I had a metal loft bed so I wasn't too worried about them hanging out. All the effort paid off- never a problem after that.

When I brought home a couch from a local antique/thrift place, bought some bug spray (most five-and-dime and hardware stores would display the spray right up front, 'cause it was in demand) and went to town on the couch. Turned it upside down, sprayed around the frame, in the seams, and then aired out the room for a day. No problems.

The dogs can be used as a scam, where the company makes it look like the dog is reacting to them, and you're willing to fork over whatever $$$$ it takes to eliminate them. But there is a characteristic scent with bedbugs tha even humans can detect.

Dimeatateous earth isn't poison, but it can be dangerous to pets. It's made of microscopically sharp bits that tear at the bugs' exoskeletons, and can wreak havoc inside mammals too.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I've got some in my college dorm room. Some of my stuff is in storage already and will be there until September. I'm hoping that that stuff is free of bed bugs, but that may be misplaced hope. What would you do in that situation?
If it's clothing, 1/2 hour in a hot dryer will take care of it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Another good site with tons of information is bedbugger.com.

We had neighbors with bed bugs last year. Some of them were so severely infested that you could see the bugs crawling all over them. :eek: Unfortunately those things are very good hitchhikers. One time two neighbors were sitting next to each other and a bed bug crawled off of one of them, across the floor, and onto the other (uninfested) person. His spouse saw it on him and let out a gasp. She got it off of him and I killed it. They are flat, so they are very hard to kill, like fleas.

I got freaked out at the possibility of them spreading between units to my place, so I spent over $100 and hours of labor caulking and sealing cracks, crevices, electrical outlets, and switch plates.

Luckily the problem was brought under control before the whole building got infested, so I never got them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yikes! A roommate just mentioned some the other day and showed his welts. I guess its only inevitable that the rest of the rooms are infested. Hopefully with our move date coming soon, we can squash the infestation before they migrate to our new residence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts