Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems odd to me. They advise not to exercise right before bed time. I can easily take a 2 hour nap after riding for more than an hour. I get so sleepy It's hard to find the will power to stretch for a few minutes. what is wrong with me?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I notice that especially after a long ride, and a warm shower....sometimes I also bonk so hard I even get sleepy on the bike :) In short I think you're tired and low on energy. Eat some carbs and a little protein for recovery and rest.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
happens to me all the time on long rides

usually it's after 100 miles, sometimes less. On last saturday's 250 miles ride, I had to take some caffein pills, one around mile 80 (6am), one at mile 190 (4pm). I try not to take too much of those pills, they get you dehydrated and it's annoying to have to make restroom-stops all the time, but sometimes I cannot do without them.

Pierre

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just tired

The body is tired and energy resources are low. Sleep is the best response the body can
have to conserve energy as well as repair itself. Long rides, or hard rides both lower the bodys enery stores, so .... the observation.

However an activity not done to exausation is not enough to deplete the bodys energy stores, but just enough to kick start thE adrenal flow, which is what is not advised before going to bed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used to have similar problems. After an especially long or hard ride I'd come home shower and bonk. I started to make sure that one of the first things I did, even before a hot shower (which is way too relaxing) was to eat me some grub. A big old turkey sandwich on a bagel with a banana sems to do the trick for me. I eat then clean up and am surprisingly energetic. I also ensure that I have a protien shake to help the old muscles...

·
It's a Sledgehammer
549 Posts
me too

I can z out after a ride as well. Seems like there is a window of time like 10-15 mins. right after where if I don't do something I'll nod off. A longer session of stretching and some kind of mental stimulation keeps me alert enough to get through.
I am curious though, as my schedule makes evening rides & training more typical, I'll ride about two hrs. before I go to bed. I haven't heard that it's detrimental riding/training at night and that AM or PM both have pros & cons. So what is the definition of right before bedtime? And what is the best time?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah this always happens to both my riding partner & myself. In fact he always tells me how he almost nods off driving home in his truck
:eek:

For myself I use to like it.taking a short 1/2 hour nap with my feet elevated always recharge me after my longer rides. Now it seems to make lactic acid pool in my legs or something...

I always wake feeling 10x worse than when I laid down. This only lasts as long as I sit there. If I get up & go wash the car or do something like work I then feel better. I miss the old days when a nap made me feel good. I use to look forward to it.

Do you feel better after your nap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.