Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a serious incident last June where someone in a red Prius pulled out of a parking lot without looking (across the MUT) and hit me - required 8 months of rehab and several surgeries to repair.

Now I'm back riding out doors and it seems like every time something interesting happens it involves a Prius.

Yesterday, I was meandering through a park on a MUT. There was a red prius driving along the road next to me, pretty much matching my speed (~15mph). I swear it was stalking me. Just as we approached a driveway to a closed parking lot, the driver turned right into the driveway, no signal, no looking nothing... If I hadn't been expecting it, or been otherwise distracted, I'd have been flattened (again).

Then later, I was riding in a bike lane with parked cars to the right. It was down hill, and there wasn't much traffic. I had the lane to my left in the event something stupid happened. Sure enough, a sliver Prius drivers door opens unexpectedly (I usually look for brake lights, and movement in parked cars in anticipation of this kind of stuff - but I saw nothing). Again, I was able to slow down and move to my left to avoid hitting them. I slowed as I went by and I reminded the driver that this was a bike lane and they need to watch for cyclists before opening their door. The woman looked at me like I had shot her dog....

I don't know what I did to offend all of the Prius' drivers, or perhaps the cars themselves are all possessed and are really trying to kill me?

Here is a random picture from the Internet for fun...

Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Mode of transport Land vehicle

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I don't own a Prius but several relatives have them and I've driven my share. Priuses feel quiet and numb when you drive them. You can see okay out of them, but the view is a bit less than panoramic in the rear-three-quarter. I find myself sitting fairly low in the Prius, obscuring my view out the side still more. The LED instrument panel (or whatever it is) adds to the sense that you aren't actually driving but are sitting at a computer or television set. It all adds up to a driving experience that is pretty divorced from the road. You, the bicyclist, are reduced to nothing more than random pixels.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
This is why I despise bike lanes. It creates the "we from they" mentality and causes way too much confusion. Just give cyclists full lane rights and end the confusion. Delaware did this, and the results have been largely favorable. They removed all "Share the Road" signs and replaced them with "May Use Full Lane". The ambiguity levels have plummeted. Now it's just up to the individual cyclists to understand what lane control means.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I've had more close calls with soccer moms in Suburbans/Explorers than Priuses...

they lumber along in their rolling steel fortresses, completely oblivious of their vehicle's physical boundaries (which usually means both right-side wheels well inside the bike lane)...the distracted-driver SOP is to have several kids and dogs onboard that require much more attention than the road. having a cell phone pinched between ear and shoulder while putting on make-up is apparently an advanced option.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Having driven Prius rental car before, I know what it's like. As a normal man, I would never buy such car. Perhaps it's certain type of people who do. As for the details on that type, I will leave it up to you.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
This is why I despise bike lanes. It creates the "we from they" mentality and causes way too much confusion. Just give cyclists full lane rights and end the confusion. Delaware did this, and the results have been largely favorable. They removed all "Share the Road" signs and replaced them with "May Use Full Lane". The ambiguity levels have plummeted. Now it's just up to the individual cyclists to understand what lane control means.
Maybe in small area this is ok, giving cyclists full right to a lane. Or in congested and slow-moving street, then cyclists can have the full lane.

But I reckon in most places or big cities, people are not gonna put up with it. Imagine 10 cars queuing up behind a cyclist during peak traffic hours. Due to the speed difference between a bicycle and car, it's just unfeasible to share the lane fully. What needs to be done is that cities need to build more bike paths.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I had a serious incident last June where someone in a red Prius pulled out of a parking lot without looking (across the MUT) and hit me - required 8 months of rehab and several surgeries to repair.

Now I'm back riding out doors and it seems like every time something interesting happens it involves a Prius.

Yesterday, I was meandering through a park on a MUT. There was a red prius driving along the road next to me, pretty much matching my speed (~15mph). I swear it was stalking me. Just as we approached a driveway to a closed parking lot, the driver turned right into the driveway, no signal, no looking nothing... If I hadn't been expecting it, or been otherwise distracted, I'd have been flattened (again).

Then later, I was riding in a bike lane with parked cars to the right. It was down hill, and there wasn't much traffic. I had the lane to my left in the event something stupid happened. Sure enough, a sliver Prius drivers door opens unexpectedly (I usually look for brake lights, and movement in parked cars in anticipation of this kind of stuff - but I saw nothing). Again, I was able to slow down and move to my left to avoid hitting them. I slowed as I went by and I reminded the driver that this was a bike lane and they need to watch for cyclists before opening their door. The woman looked at me like I had shot her dog....

I don't know what I did to offend all of the Prius' drivers, or perhaps the cars themselves are all possessed and are really trying to kill me?

Here is a random picture from the Internet for fun...

View attachment 313596
This Prius bashing needs to stop. Absolutely zero statistics to back anything up.

The most ahole drivers I've found are guys driving expensive European cars, the SUVs, the trucks.

Look at the insurance rate for econobox like Prius. They're some of the lowest, and they're low because insurance with their actuarials have done their homework in accident statistics.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a serious incident last June where someone in a red Prius pulled out of a parking lot without looking...
Yesterday, I was meandering through a park on a MUT. There was a red prius driving along the road next to me, pretty much matching my speed (~15mph). I swear it was stalking me.

Then yesterday...
Me thinks you're suffering from confirmation bias.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I've had more close calls with soccer moms in Suburbans/Explorers than Priuses...
My experience as well. Oh, and add Range Rovers to that list.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I hate Prius drivers.. Drive me nuts on my commute .. Either too slow or reckless lane changers.. I like the car as a whole and would consider getting a new except the rear lights are now hideous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Maybe in small area this is ok, giving cyclists full right to a lane. Or in congested and slow-moving street, then cyclists can have the full lane.

But I reckon in most places or big cities, people are not gonna put up with it. Imagine 10 cars queuing up behind a cyclist during peak traffic hours. Due to the speed difference between a bicycle and car, it's just unfeasible to share the lane fully. What needs to be done is that cities need to build more bike paths.
How fast do you think those cars will be going during peak traffic hours? A major reason people switch to cycling in cities is because it ends up being faster or just as fast as driving a car. In my suburban area where bumper-to-bumper traffic doesn't happen I'm still as fast as the cars until I get to open highway.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Instead of talking about Prius' behind their back on the interweb, why don't you ask them Face to Electromagnetic field.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Simple. Magnetism.

Very respectfully, Tim
Hate to have to say this, but DC electrical current that cars run on don't emit electromagnetic radiation. You're getting zapped worse by the power lines surrounding where you sleep, than driving a Prius.

One does have to wonder why Prius owners have been shown to be "holier than thou." May also have to do with the soothing feeling of barreling down the road not making a sound, driver insulated from the road, as Mapei suggests, and approaching traffic from the rear not being all that visible.

Priuses are the perfect cars to fully automate. I always get the impression the owners would prefer that.

OP, with the Prius who beat you to his driveway, do you suppose he was trying to determine whether to brake or accelerate to coordinate his turn with your speed? It never occurred to him that maybe he should have used his turn signal. That's a bit "holier than thou," isn't it?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fredrico said:
OP, with the Prius who beat you to his driveway, do you suppose he was trying to determine whether to brake or accelerate to coordinate his turn with your speed? It never occurred to him that maybe he should have used his turn signal. That's a bit "holier than thou," isn't it?
It wasn't his driveway. This was in the middle of very large public park on a beautiful 70 degree day - there were tons of bikes riding back and forth on this MUT - far more than the number of cars.

The driveway he was turning into went to a *closed* parking lot (one that is reserved for concerts and such). He had no business going in there (it was gated and he was going to have to back out). He was driving slowly (about the same speed as I was riding - I'm guessing he wasn't sure where he was going - but it's more fun to suggest he was stalking me). He made the right turn out of the traffic lane and into the driveway, across the MUT without signalling, without slowing or braking, he never looked my way (or the opposite direction) etc.. there was no indication whatsoever he was going to turn and cross my path (other than my gut instinct and assumption that he wanted to kill me).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hate to have to say this, but DC electrical current that cars run on don't emit electromagnetic radiation. You're getting zapped worse by the power lines surrounding where you sleep, than driving a Prius.
Wrong. DC currents create static EMI fields, not the varying fields that AC creates.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

It wasn't his driveway. This was in the middle of very large public park on a beautiful 70 degree day - there were tons of bikes riding back and forth on this MUT - far more than the number of cars.

The driveway he was turning into went to a *closed* parking lot (one that is reserved for concerts and such). He had no business going in there (it was gated and he was going to have to back out). He was driving slowly (about the same speed as I was riding - I'm guessing he wasn't sure where he was going - but it's more fun to suggest he was stalking me). He made the right turn out of the traffic lane and into the driveway, across the MUT without signalling, without slowing or braking, he never looked my way (or the opposite direction) etc.. there was no indication whatsoever he was going to turn and cross my path (other than my gut instinct and assumption that he wanted to kill me).
You shoulda ridden up to his driver side window and yelled, "Watch out!" :D

Do you suppose he was lost, perhaps a characteristic of Prius drivers? Some kids back in the day drove VW beetles like they were go karts, but they all graduated to BMWs.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts