Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda hub shopping... on mtb forums, theres rarely a hub/wheel thread where someone doesnt suggest hope pro 2's. They're incredibly durable and have a great reputation. The pro3's should use the same freehub and overall design. At 260g they're pretty light, stainless big bearings, they have really good dimensions and should build up stiff... and they're cheap. About 250-270 bucks get you a set online. I think they look great too, very nice hubs.

Are these just overlooked? Any reason any of the builders around here dont regularly offer them?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just bought a set, 28/32 I plan on building them up to h plus son wheels. Overall they look great. The only thing I am concerned about his how smooth they spin. I don't have the wheel built up yet so I can really spin them.

I like them because you do no need any tools to service the rear hub, you just pop off the end cap which is held on by an o-ring and groove.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
They are REALLY loud (or the only one I've ever seen was anyway).

I'm not offering that as an explaination for them not being popular.....just mentioning it incase that matters to you when choosing a hub. Maybe the guy I know who has one cleaned out the grease or something but it's so loud that I'd consider it something someone would definitely want to consider before buying.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hopes are great hubs, color and finish are beautiful and the no tool service is a plus too.

They are loud but the sound can be modified by the type of grease - I have 2 wheel sets and the one I just serviced with Tri Flow grease is a lot quieter than the other set. For my MTB I love them when you come up on slower rider or hiker and you coast it is better than a bell!

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
I have hope pro 2s on my FS MTB and the misses' hybrid. They are loud but that is why I like them just so that anyone I come up behind will know I am there. But what I really like is their ease to service.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I've been looking at them for a while as a candidate for a 10 speed hub and this is what I have found:

Drivetrain - 10s only, Shimano/Campy

Weight - about 360 grams for the set

Lacing - no radial for higher than 24h

Geometry effects - achievable tension at the non drive side is respectable (Tnds=62 @ Tds=125, 3x/3x, BAR 2, 7.1 deg. left bracing angle). Potentially achievable wheel lateral stiffness is moderate in comparison to others. Hub geometry appears to give equal preference to the balance between nds tension and stiffness. Basically, good, average balanced, all around hub.

Sound - very loud (y-tube has a few clips on this)------ maybe view it a reminder to keep on pedaling? i wonder whether a different choice of lubricant may quiet it down a bit.

Engagement - no first hand experience yet; 4 pawls engage a 24 tooth ratchet

Longevity - no first hand experience; the Hope mtb hubs are in UK what the CK mtb hubs are here so all indications are favorable.

Maintainability - no special tools needed

Price - about $250 for the set.

Internet gossip - google search has not raised any flags yet

It appears the Hope Pro 3 is a good, all around hub. It is underated in this country for what it offers but I think this may be due to profit margins, distribution and the like rather than on what the hub offers the consumer.
Personally, I would choose it over the DT 240 for a 10 speed drivetrain based on both expected performance and price.

·
Wheel Builder
133 Posts
Kinda hub shopping... on mtb forums, theres rarely a hub/wheel thread where someone doesnt suggest hope pro 2's. They're incredibly durable and have a great reputation. The pro3's should use the same freehub and overall design. At 260g they're pretty light, stainless big bearings, they have really good dimensions and should build up stiff... and they're cheap. About 250-270 bucks get you a set online. I think they look great too, very nice hubs.

Are these just overlooked? Any reason any of the builders around here dont regularly offer them?
I think they're great hubs. But there's tons of other great options too. We steer clear of Hope hubs because our quoted pricing with the requirement of buying in bulk is the same as the online single pair price. Meaning, others out there are privy to better pricing. No big deal, happens all the time, and nothing is static. If things changed tomorrow, maybe we'd consider stocking them. But I doubt things will change. Hope seems to have a Euro market emphasis, and then a US filter. The Euro market gets the deals, and can ship to the US for less than the US filter can import and resell.

I think Hope Pro3's are sort of stuck as an in-between type hub right now. Not the lightest, not the cheapest, they're durable sure, but there are other options that are known as 'the durable option'. Etc., etc.

I don't know why people would talk about them negatively, other than the sound, if that's even a negative, but I think that given all the options out there, there's just not tons and tons of people trying them out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently put some Hope Pro III's on a new build. They are supposed to be super durable and easy to service, although I haven't had them long enough to comment on those points yet. They are loud, but I got used to it after just a few rides.

I also disagree with the poster who said they aren't aesthetically pleasing. I think mine look great.

View attachment 280561

View attachment 280562

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I think Hope Pro3's are sort of stuck as an in-between type hub right now.
That's my feeling about them also. There are several good US made hubs that are lighter and more expensive, and other Taiwanese hubs that are lighter and cheaper. They seem to have a good design and a good rep for durability, but it's hard for me to regard any hub with an aluminum freehub as exceptionally durable.

I didn't realize you couldn't get a volume discount in the US. I can tell from my wholesale price compared to what some places are selling them for retail, that *somebody* is buying them for less than I can...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
They are REALLY loud (or the only one I've ever seen was anyway).

I'm not offering that as an explaination for them not being popular.....just mentioning it incase that matters to you when choosing a hub. Maybe the guy I know who has one cleaned out the grease or something but it's so loud that I'd consider it something someone would definitely want to consider before buying.
Ya know,
For road, I like my hub quiet. For mtb, i love the angry bee buzz of my Chris King hubs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I always attributed Hope's popularity in the mtn bike world to the apparent obsession mtb'ers have with matching anodized bits on their bikes. Thus the hope brakes, seatpost collars and hubs in various colors to match suspension linkages and headsets for the complete look.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
I always attributed Hope's popularity in the mtn bike world to the apparent obsession mtb'ers have with matching anodized bits on their bikes. Thus the hope brakes, seatpost collars and hubs in various colors to match suspension linkages and headsets for the complete look.
:lol: You are right but I think the same can be said for roadies too.

Just a standard normal distribution if you have a large enough sample. Possibly also because you tend to notice and remember those with matching anodized bits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.