Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some strange reason, lately my internet has been slow. I particularly notice it when using the wi-fi. It was fine and then all of a sudden, wi-fi internet is super sluggish. Nothing has changed that I'm aware of. Modem, computer are all where they were before.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I have Verizon FiOS, if that makes any difference.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
For some strange reason, lately my internet has been slow. I particularly notice it when using the wi-fi. It was fine and then all of a sudden, wi-fi internet is super sluggish. Nothing has changed that I'm aware of. Modem, computer are all where they were before.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I have Verizon FiOS, if that makes any difference.
interference.... tell the neighbor to stop using her vibratory device

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
When that happens to me it is usually because the cat is sleeping on the router again. Do you have a cat? Or some other creature clogging the tubes of your interwebs?

·
Registered
388 Posts
try restarting everything...got anti virus? maybe its something slowing down your cpu not the internet...same problem with other peoples machines?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Make sure your router/modem are out of range of other electronic / magnetic / etc. devices. We found that when our modem is next to the super phone, it slows down because of the magnetic field or some such that I didn't understand.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
You got your wi fi secure? Sure no "neighbors" are leeching off you?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
What's your noise margin?

Have you tried resetting your line?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
add any electronic devices to the home?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't remember what speed I am supposed to get. I've been satisfied, and to be fair, the drop off is most pronounced when using the wi-fi network. Nothing has changed, modem, CPU, phones, etc. all in the same place. I'm pretty confident that no one is leaching off my signal. I just don't get it.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
PJay said:
am i really slowing down my neighbors?
If you're stealing Internet access via a neighbor's wireless system, yes you are.

As to whether it will be noticeable by them, in many cases it won't, but there are many factors that play into that.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Did you try right clicking on the icon in the tray and then "repair"? That often makes things better for my netbook.

·
Registered
482 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
go to www.speedtest.net
find out what you are getting for download/upload speeds versus what you're paying for.
Except that so many people use that site that it has become upload constrained if you have a fast connection like FiOS.

Also, you're paying for "optimal" DL speed, and real-world conditions differ by the second.

(edit: "sight" to "site")

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Mine's pretty slow, and I keep restarting in hopes it'll fix the problem....nope. And the cat is hanging out by the window.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts