Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the CN post-race coverage of PR. Boonen mentioned his favorite moment was seeing his brother cry from happiness.

Then I realized that most of the cycling videos where a Euro pro wins ends in tears.

What gives?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You make it sound like it is something to be ashamed of. Showing emotions as a result of working your ass off, and then seeing them come to fruition isn't being a wuss. Especially when beating everyone else (non-euros incl). That's called success, and because someone celebrates it differently from you doesn't make them a wuss either. Just different. No better, and no worse. Get off your high horse.

Or did you expect him to thump his chest as an 'in your face' to some pre-arranged dance routine al a NFL (bad sportsmanship/showmanship)?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I can only imagine exerting myself to the absolute maximum for 6+ hours. With all your strength gone I can imagine the emotions would flow freely. I see nothing wrong with it. Perhaps there is a marketing opprotunity for Kleenex. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
lemonlime said:
Just read the CN post-race coverage of PR. Boonen mentioned his favorite moment was seeing his brother cry from happiness.

Then I realized that most of the cycling videos where a Euro pro wins ends in tears.

What gives?
I guess you have never won any race before.......:D

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
lemonlime said:

What gives?

Please go back into your hole.

I was almost in tears watching.

·
Dweebus Maximus
211 Posts
From the thread title only I was expecting to read a post about all the whining (i.e. crying) post-race from everyone who didn't win, each explaining how it was someone else's fault and that with better luck they woulda shoulda coulda been a contender. To that I will indeed say "Why are all the racers such wusses? What's with all this crying?" Cyclists are the most inept trash-talkers of any professional sport, bar none.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I dunno

Circlip said:
From the thread title only I was expecting to read a post about all the whining (i.e. crying) post-race from everyone who didn't win, each explaining how it was someone else's fault and that with better luck they woulda shoulda coulda been a contender. To that I will indeed say "Why are all the racers such wusses? What's with all this crying?" Cyclists are the most inept trash-talkers of any professional sport, bar none.
I thought Leif Hoste's remark about Flecha
"he doesn't pull and he can't turn " was pretty funny

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Act like you've been there before.

lemonlime said:

What gives?
Yup, Americans don't cry.:cryin:

·
Registered
98 Posts
'mericans are such manly men!

You manly men need to go to tractorpull.com. I don't think I saw more 'mericans starting Paris-Roubaix than Europeans. I would hesitate to call anyone who just spent 6 hours riding that kind of race a wuss.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Does anyone else see the irony in the "badass" poster who calls-out euros as being wussies having Ben Stiller as his avatar?

·
Dweebus Maximus
211 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I thought Leif Hoste's remark about Flecha
"he doesn't pull and he can't turn " was pretty funny
If that's a pro cyclist's version of throwing down, then they've got some serious work to do. :p Hoste is on a fast track to become the Euro version of Hincapie i.e. always missing the ability to be in the right place at the right time. At some point, you have to say it's a lack of racing smarts (relative to the class of riders who win multiple monuments) rather than just a string of bad luck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
euro-trash said:
Does anyone else see the irony in the "badass" poster who calls-out euros as being wussies having Ben Stiller as his avatar?
lol good point...

I can see why they would cry just like i cried when i watched my kids being born. It's an emotional moment it's ok to cry :)

·
Broken Legs Suck
621 Posts
hell, i cried when i finished the 65 mile Livestrong Austin ride after having 10 surgeries on my shattered tibia. To win Paris-Roubaix? Are you serious?

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
euro-trash said:
FINALLY! Can't believe it took 13 posts to get here. Sheesh. :rolleyes: :D

You guys need to visit the lounge more often. :)

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
FWIW, there are tons of basketball, american football, baseball players, etc who cry after winning their respective titles. Are they wussies, also?

Paris Roubaix is basically the TdF of the classics. I would probably bawl my eyes out after winning it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think europeans (and pretty much most of the rest of the world outside America) act more naturally. They call it as it is. They let emotions run. Most of the Americans are so pre-conditioned by their society that they are trained how to speak, how to act, what to like, what to buy. I guess men should not show their emotions is just part of that... generally, they're boring if you ask me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did a 80km skate ski last season in under 6 hours...I cried from the pure flood of the emotion of accomplishing something I didn't think I could. There is always a huge emotional reaction to accomplishing something you never thought you could. I am glad to see more "americans" crying during success.

Cheers,
Mike

1 - 20 of 39 Posts