Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that, at least at the amateur level, road racing is a male-dominated sport. Most of the local clubs in Richmond, VA are almost exclusively men. We hold a weekly crit from May to September, but the women's races are only once a month. Are men more competitive and more willing to take the risk of crashing or is there something else to it?

· Registered
63 Posts
There are plenty of women runners (including long distance/endurance) which is an activity that is arguably more solo in training and certainly in competition (no team).

As a female cyclist, I didn't get into it until I moved to a cycling mecca (nor cal) and got injured from 18 years of soccer. There are plenty of women racers here but I'm aware we are not the norm. I've known many women who shy away due to feeling intimidated from the start by the mechanical aspect of it and all that goes with that (you go into a shop and they automatically assume you don't know the rubber side goes down) and consequent distrust or feeling of being somewhat of a second citizen when starting out. Never bothered me...

· Registered
63 Posts
True, women racers are road hazards...

Perhaps they are outlawed in bmcva's neck of the woods so that others don't suffer the same fate as CabDoctor...although I suspect if his handling skills are such that he can't manage a wave without almost crashing something else besides the cycle ladies is the cause for blame!

· Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
549 Posts
MayGirl said:
Perhaps they are outlawed in bmcva's neck of the woods so that others don't suffer the same fate as CabDoctor...although I suspect if his handling skills are such that he can't manage a wave without almost crashing something else besides the cycle ladies is the cause for blame!
Ouch! No I just had one bad experience where I was in a pack doing 32mph and I thought I saw a friend of my who is a girl. No crashing, just a near miss caused my a quick head jerk and bike swerve

· Registered
63 Posts
CabDoctor said:
Ouch! No I just had one bad experience where I was in a pack doing 32mph and I thought I saw a friend of my who is a girl. No crashing, just a near miss caused my a quick head jerk and bike swerve
I'm just kidding around. We've all done the just-saw-someone-I-know-holy-crap-I'm-about-to-take-out-the-pack swerve. It's all good!

· What the Hell is going on
6,032 Posts
True dat

Down here in So Cal I find the OP query true. There are several girls in my club but most females I see tend to gravitate towards Tri, Inline skating and Track!!!! What's up with that?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It must be a regional thing

I would expect to see more female racers in CA, as there are more racers/riders in that state in general I suspect. Its odd, I lived in the Twin Cities, where you would not expect cycling to be big because of the weather, but it is a huge sport there (lots of Velo Bella girls live there).

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you build it, they will come.
In Illinois, there are Women's Open races, and there are Women's Cat 4 races. There are Women's Masters races for 40+, 50+, and 60+. All these races are held at every event. We have pretty fair turnouts.

· What the Hell is going on
6,032 Posts
USCF Juniors

bmcva said:
I would expect to see more female racers in CA, as there are more racers/riders in that state in general I suspect. Its odd, I lived in the Twin Cities, where you would not expect cycling to be big because of the weather, but it is a huge sport there (lots of Velo Bella girls live there).
A few years back they held the national USCF Junior championship races here in San Diego. I volunteered and helped with the race and noticed that there were a lot more people from back East racing the event. I think most of them came from Pennsylvania.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.