Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving back from Sunday night bbq, I was in the fast lane, this idiot in slow lane cuts me off to make a left at the upcoming light and nearly takes me me out and a guy on his motorcycle who's already in the left turn lane. Had I not laid on the horn biker dude wouldn't have reacted. It woulda been real ugly.

I am so sick of people not caring whether they kill you or not, just to get where they're going.

DC burbs drivers are the worst!

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I'm surprised you're not angrier about having to drive in the DC suburbs. It's turned me into an as$hat a few times.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
MB1 said:
Ride your bike.
Still a danger, a young women (here in the DC suburbs) was hit on Sunday, the lady in her Cadilac Escalade got home and says she didn't realize she hit someone, but the bike was attached to the car. She said she thought is was a deer.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I'm with you. Living here is turing me into an angry person on the roads. Its really starting to drive me nuts when people drive in a manner that shows they have no concern for other beings. I've been trying to just take it in stride, but its a challenge almost every day.

And you really are no safer on a bike. I was almost taken out on Saturday by a woman driving a Jaguar who couldn't be bothered to see if traffic was coming before pulling out and making a right on red.

I call this "Northern VA syndrome". May people here have an inflated sense of self worth, because they work in DC or make a lot of money (or used to). Thus, everything they do is more important than anything you do. While we're sitting back watching them cut people off and weave all over the road checking email, they're upset that we're "in their way". Its great :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It really is amazing how people drive around here. Having lived in the DC area most of my life it is just getting worse. While the cell phone is just a part of everything I agree with Hokie that people just want to feel important, and not just because I have to live with her. It's great when someone cuts you off, moves to the next lane over just about killing someone else, and gives you a mean look.

I think biking here is just as dangerous. Our neighbor was crossing an intersection on the Fairfax Co. Parkway and a driver decided to make a left right into her without looking for cars or bikers. She was on crutches for a long time from the damage to her knee. It's difficult looking where you are driving while checking your fantasy football information.

·
9,790 Posts
spyderman[B said:
Why are there so many ashat drivers in DC burbs?[/B]
You answered your own question with two words.

1) DC

2) 'burbs

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
spydie,

firstrax nailed it. Come to MA. DC drivers will seem so tame afterwards......

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
As a DC resident, I am constantly baffled by people who choose to drive into town every day. For anything under 20 miles I am on my bike.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
The worst part is that everyone has such a bad attitude now, if you try to correct anyone, for almost anything, suddenly they are enraged that you had the AUDACITY to correct *THEM* for something they did wrong.

My least favorite are turns that have TWO lanes (which my city seems to love for some reason), an inside and an outside lane that both turn the same direction.

Inevitably, the douche on the inside turn lane won't hold his line, and just sort of drift into the outside lane. When I've had to slam the brakes and honk at these jerks, I've been flipped off, honked at, and even screamed at. Seriously, WTF? I wasn't the one who was FAILING at basic driving.

Ugh, I just can't stand driving at all anymore.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HokieRider said:
I'm with you. Living here is turing me into an angry person on the roads. Its really starting to drive me nuts when people drive in a manner that shows they have no concern for other beings. I've been trying to just take it in stride, but its a challenge almost every day.

And you really are no safer on a bike. I was almost taken out on Saturday by a woman driving a Jaguar who couldn't be bothered to see if traffic was coming before pulling out and making a right on red.

I call this "Northern VA syndrome". May people here have an inflated sense of self worth, because they work in DC or make a lot of money (or used to). Thus, everything they do is more important than anything you do. While we're sitting back watching them cut people off and weave all over the road checking email, they're upset that we're "in their way". Its great :rolleyes:
I think you nailed it. People just don't care about risking your life in order to get where they are going in this area. Something is very wrong about this behavior. The rest of the world isn't like this. Once you're on the road in the DC burbs all sense of community is thrown out the window.

Part of the problem is there aren't any repercussions to this behavior. I seriously thought about following that person and making a scene. Of course, that only woulda made it worse.

It's just totally outa control.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
firstrax said:
Because Boston was not big enough for all of them.
I've driven through Beantown and heard some horror stories... There's something about these people that they lose their sanity when they get behind the wheel.

I've seen things on the road here that I've never seen elsewhere.

While sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic, a guy in a pickup in front of me decided the car in front of him wasn't pulling up fast enough. So he pulled outa the lane at the intersection, passed the car in front of him, then cut back into the same lane cutting off the car.

In order to pull off this maneuver he had to floor it, then slam on his breaks as he cut back into the same lane so as not to hit the guy in front of him. As I picked my jaw off the floor of my car, I said out loud "I can't believe what I just saw." All this just to move up one car length in bumper-to-bumper traffic that wasn't moving...

Risk vs reward was so great, the guy must've lost his mind for that brief moment. :eek:ut:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
spyderman said:
I've seen things on the road here that I've never seen elsewhere.
While sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic, a guy in a pickup in front of me decided the car in front of him wasn't pulling up fast enough.
In contrast, last night, coming home from work, I was sitting at a left turn signal, one of those, 20 cars wait for the left turn arrow, and when the arrow turns green, the 2nd car decides they are in the wrong lane and waits :mad2: . Every horn went a blazing, the person finally moved and only about 7 cars got throught the light (I should not of gotten through, but did and two cars came behind me).

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Transitional populations always have problems with social order.

IOW, you have people that live there for 2, 4, 10 years and then go "home". Pols, people who work for them, lobbyists, NGO employees, etc. The more people who don't think of where they live as "home", the worse the collective behavior.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts