Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife just finished her first RR. Quite frankly, she didn't enjoy it much. Main reason being that the women were pretty aggressive and, according to my wife, scary. She is a somewhat experienced bike rider, and she felt pretty uncomfortable with women yelling at eachother and pushing her out of the draft...literally, with their hand, and other shenanigans.

now, I raced as well, and didn't see that in the mens race at all. Everyone pretty mello and doing what they do. no yelling, no pushing...what gives?

Have any of you heard the same things with your girlfriends, wives, sisters, etc...? Why the hostility (in a cat 4 race)...seems like a bit of overkill.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
mootinator said:
So my wife just finished her first RR. Quite frankly, she didn't enjoy it much. Main reason being that the women were pretty aggressive and, according to my wife, scary.
It's hard to say here what was going on without being there but I have to ask... since it was her first race, could she have been in the wrong and they were trying to coach her a bit? Just a thought...

I'm actually attending a womens cycling development camp this week. I will get a consensus from the ladies there. I actually have been holding off on racing until I got through this. I was a little paranoid of causing a crash or pissing someone off. I admire your wife for getting in there!

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Well, if they either wanted the wheel for a sprint leadout or if your wife was allowing gaps to open during surges, then she should expect to have the wheel taken. Hands shouldn't come off of the bars in that situation, though. The only situation where I personally will touch another rider is if I'm riding in a large pack and my bars are near another rider's hip. If she swerves towards me, I'll put a hand on her hip to let her know that I'm there and not to run into me.
If the other women truly are pushing her with their hands, then she needs to tell an official. Otherwise, she just needs to practice holding a wheel.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Depends on the race if it was some local race unless your wife was opening up gaps then that sounds a bit extreem but it was a big money race with larger teams then that stuff tends to happen just as it does in the men's races. The bigger the field and the bigger the race the more likely some of this will go on esp closing miles/laps it kinda goes the territory esp if a rider is seen and weak, new, or inexperineced,

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
"She is a somewhat experienced bike rider,"

??

This could mean anything. Maybe the other women in the race were jerks................or maybe they weren't.

·
Registered
896 Posts
mens cat 5 races are full of yelling, bumping, and haphazard agression. lots of 5's have more passion then skill, and it can be very funny. who hasn't heard "ATTACK ON THE RIGHT" on the 3rd lap of 10 in a cat 5 race. like the super-5 is going to ride off the front an never been seen again. as for the touching - a hand-tap on the hip or shoulder: lots of guys spend lots of time in group rides and are very comfortable. i see this more among teamates then randoms. i raced a 35+ race for the first time recently(i am a cat 4) and was amazed at how quiet the race was. no yelling or shouting.

maybe what surprises some people about a women's race is that most people don't get to see the raw sports agression come out of women. its like the woman in the corp office gets a rep as a B**** because she sometimes 'acts like a man".

I'd say your wife just needs to adjust

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Since it was her first race, it could be a number of things. Lower categories are more notorious for this. The upper categories tend to be more swift and nonchalant about it.

I will only occasionally push someone out of the way with my hand. Usually it involves the other rider putting his bike into 6" of space because they don't realize (or don't care) that there is no room for them. ie, trying to steal a wheel the shitty/dangerous way.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
I just started road racing. I have heard yelling and some screams of frustration, seen some bumping and crashes, but I haven't seen any pushing. Actually, everyone has been really cool.

I just can't imagine someone riding up and pushing me off someone's wheel. That would likely result in either a water bottle off the back of the head, a frame pump jammed into front spokes, or a corner curbing followed by a fistfight. My first reaction would probably be "Hey d1psh1t, WTF do you think you are you doing??"

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Zipp0 said:
I just started road racing. I have heard yelling and some screams of frustration, seen some bumping and crashes, but I haven't seen any pushing. Actually, everyone has been really cool.

I just can't imagine someone riding up and pushing me off someone's wheel. That would likely result in either a water bottle off the back of the head, a frame pump jammed into front spokes, or a corner curbing followed by a fistfight. My first reaction would probably be "Hey d1psh1t, WTF do you think you are you doing??"
Life is gonna be gonna for you as you move up if you ever do. Sorry but som contact and edging people or even moving them happens in races threatning to throw things, fight or cause a crash proves that your really the person that has issues.

·
Registered
896 Posts
guys, its not hockey. ive never seen anyone really push anyone else. a tap to let them know they are there sure. enough with the water bottle in the head, or pump in the spokes crap. let your fitness and smarts speak for themselves. the nonsense you are worried almost never happens in the front.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
If If by "pushing," you mean the type of pushing that L*nce did to the dope-devil guy, then you're right- that shouldn't really happen. However, if you mean "pushing" as in ride next to someone and lean on them a little to "persuade" them to move, then yes, that is just a part of racing. You either give the wheel up or lean back towards them.

G

·
Zipp0 said:

Which is why you don't know how to race. It's very common to get pushed off of someones wheel because it's harder to defend a wheel than it is to take it, that's just part of bike racing. maybe you need to go to some anger management classes or something.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
I understand that there is going to be competition and jostling for position, including bumping and such. But riding up and using hands to physically push someone off course is acceptable? (like Lance to the syringe guy?)

That just sounds ludicrous.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
mootinator said:
now, I raced as well, and didn't see that in the mens race at all. Everyone pretty mello and doing what they do. no yelling, no pushing...what gives?
that sounds nice, where is this mellow place? So far in the lower ranks in socal there has been at least two fistfights, one leading to formal charges.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Zipp0 said:
I understand that there is going to be competition and jostling for position, including bumping and such. But riding up and using hands to physically push someone off course is acceptable? (like Lance to the syringe guy?)

That just sounds ludicrous.
So does throwing a water bottle (which runs the risk of causing other not involved in the "pushing" to crash) Curbing someone same issue as before. As far as the threat of beating someone up for something that happened in a sporting event - grow up.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
32and3cross said:
So does throwing a water bottle (which runs the risk of causing other not involved in the "pushing" to crash) Curbing someone same issue as before. As far as the threat of beating someone up for something that happened in a sporting event - grow up.
I'll grow up - you stop pushing people.

And the water bottle, curbing, and pump plans were an exaggeration.

Anyways, USA Cycling rules prohibit pushing -

1Q8. Pushing or Pulling among riders is prohibited in all races except the Madison and then only between members of the same team.

So, I won't throw a water bottle - I will just have you DQ'd.:D

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Zipp0 said:
I'll grow up - you stop pushing people.

And the water bottle, curbing, and pump plans were an exaggeration.

Anyways, USA Cycling rules prohibit pushing -

1Q8. Pushing or Pulling among riders is prohibited in all races except the Madison and then only between members of the same team.

So, I won't throw a water bottle - I will just have you DQ'd.:D

point out where I said I pushed people? I just said it happens. I also don't make threats I work hard to control my temper and consider that my actions can affect others including people I had not interaction with up til that point.

As far as the occasional jostle, or elbow rub in a race its par the course I might get annoyed at times but everyone is trying to race for the win.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
32and3cross said:
point out where I said I pushed people? I just said it happens. I also don't make threats I work hard to control my temper and consider that my actions can affect others including people I had not interaction with up til that point.

As far as the occasional jostle, or elbow rub in a race its par the course I might get annoyed at times but everyone is trying to race for the win.
Well, I figured you must be pushing - you were defending it pretty hard.

And as far as jostling and some elbow rubbing - of course that happens. But someone putting there hands on someone and shoving them out of the way is just begging for trouble - be it disqualification, or maybe a knuckle sandwich, if they push the wrong guy.

Like I said originally, I was surprised at the OP's post, because everyone had been competitive, but overall pretty cool so far for me.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts