Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife joined Facebook to keep in touch with her family who live on the other side of the country.

We used to do some biking with a girl who lives about a mile down the road from us and has our phone number (it hasn't changed in 10 yrs). Long story short is that we no longer hang out with this chick but we're on good terms. Yesterday she tries to "friend" my wife. Why TF doesn't she just pick up the d**n phone and call?

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
dir-t said:
So my wife joined Facebook to keep in touch with her family who live on the other side of the country.

We used to do some biking with a girl who lives about a mile down the road from us and has our phone number (it hasn't changed in 10 yrs). Long story short is that we no longer hang out with this chick but we're on good terms. Yesterday she tries to "friend" my wife. Why TF doesn't she just pick up the d**n phone and call?
fb is easier. There's none of that awkward "hey, I haven't called in a year" stuff.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Plus, if she calls she doesn't build up her FB stats.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Maybe she is looking to hook up with your wife......we all know how that ends.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Maybe she is looking to hook up with your wife......we all know how that ends.

Was she at The Continental two Fridays ago?

joe

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
dir-t said:
Why TF doesn't she just pick up the d**n phone and call?
Probably for the same reason you keep in touch with her family via facebook instead of picking up the phone. You don't really want to talk to them.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Probably for the same reason you keep in touch with her family via facebook instead of picking up the phone. You don't really want to talk to them.
BAM, and we have a winner.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
This is exactly why I hate facebook... You have these people with 300 friends, no one, I mean no one has 300 friends, not possible. You may know 300 people, but you aren't freinds with 300 people.

·
papa sboak
1,009 Posts
It's not about friendship. It's about acquaintanceship (is that a word?). Keeping in touch, without putting in the real work of a friendship.

I like it.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
seany916 said:
It's not about friendship. It's about acquaintanceship (is that a word?). Keeping in touch, without putting in the real work of a friendship.

I like it.
+1. You lose touch with old friends and drift apart. Reconnect via Facebook. Drop the occasional wall post to ask how's things. Remain acquaintances. Difference vs. real life? You actually do have some sort of communication with the other person on rare occasions. In real life, you probably might never again perhaps.

Of course, there are also your real friends there.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I guess I don't like it for the same reason. When I have a "relationship" (not c0de) w/someone I tend to take it serious, as in I am concerned, and genuinely interested in somebody's life. FB "friend collecting" makes that extremely difficult. I can't possibly keep up with so many "friends."

So, I try and limit how much "collecting" I do.

Edit to add: The light just went on over my head...all these people that "friend request" me, and that I haven't talked to since I was nine, don't really give a rat's @sh about me, they're just "collecting" so I might as well not give a rat's @sh back. :)

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
FTF said:
This is exactly why I hate facebook... You have these people with 300 friends, no one, I mean no one has 300 friends, not possible. You may know 300 people, but you aren't freinds with 300 people.
Some people have 1000 over friends. I kid you not. Around 2 or 3 of my friends have over a 1000 friends. In fact, one has about 5k or so. A few others have >>500 too.

300 is nothing.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
mohair_chair said:
It comes free with every baby.
wtf, we missed that coupon....may have to go for round two....I would totally dig a blowup pool on hot summer days

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
I guess I don't like it for the same reason. When I have a "relationship" (not c0de) w/someone I tend to take it serious, as in I am concerned, and genuinely interested in somebody's life. FB "friend collecting" makes that extremely difficult. I can't possibly keep up with so many "friends."

So, I try and limit how much "collecting" I do.

Edit to add: The light just went on over my head...all these people that "friend request" me, and that I haven't talked to since I was nine, don't really give a rat's @sh about me, they're just "collecting" so I might as well not give a rat's @sh back. :)
You should add me on facebook. Kthxbye.

:cool: :) :aureola:

·
Registered
636 Posts
uzziefly said:
Some people have 1000 over friends. I kid you not. Around 2 or 3 of my friends have over a 1000 friends. In fact, one has about 5k or so. A few others have >>500 too.

300 is nothing.
Are these friends, or Facebook friends that you're talking about?

Halfway through this thread I forgot I wasn't in the pr0n thread anymore. Then I remembered that the last time I turned down an offer for Facebook sex with a "Friend" who has never called me was less than 24 hours ago.

So, what's your Facebook network look like, my Forum Friends?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts