Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike F1 or motor cycle racing where credit is given to the constructor, seems like nothing is mentioned for bike maker in pro cycling. Only cyclist and country is listed in the ranking. Anyone knows why?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Because cycling for some reason hasn't embraced the concept of sponsors ... they use them as a means to get equipment and money, but it appears they forget that this is where their income is based from.

If you watch a cycling interview at the end of the race, very few will talk up their sponsors ... but if you watch an interview after a NASCAR race every other word is a sponsors name, they have guys with hats on behind the interview, they have product placement taking place in the interview ... they have embraced the sponsors and have been rewarded quite well for this.

With all the PED issues in cycling, one would think they would embrace their sponsors more to keep them on board ... something more than just getting a guy in a break for an hour or two ... most of which isn't seen by anybody other than those on the road since the TV coverage generally doesn't start until well after the race has started.

IMO cycling teams would do well to hire PR people who's sole job is to work with the riders and coach them on how to properly conduct interviews, put products up front, get others involved in the interview process, etc.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's not about the bike.
Where have I heard that before?

·
Registered
625 Posts
When a bicycle company spends money on television advertising most of the time they get mentioned on the broadcast. In their business model exposure has value and they'll only give away what's contractually required, everyone else pays to play.

That doesn't excuse the riders from often not acknowledging their sponsors in post race interviews. I'm sure some of it is that most of the television interviews occur relatively quickly after the finish, but unlike other international sports like auto racing or golf where from early on sponsor relations is just part of the gig, cycling seems so far behind the curve.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would hate post-race interviews that started "Before I talk about the stage, I would like to thank Acme_1, for my wonderful helmet, Acme_2 for these great mitts, Acme_3 for my unbelievably comfortable handlebar tape" etc etc.

At the end of a stage (or pre-race conference ) I want to hear the rider's view of the race, not a glorified commercial break and I don't care how much off-message they go.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I would hate post-race interviews that started "Before I talk about the stage, I would like to thank Acme_1, for my wonderful helmet, Acme_2 for these great mitts, Acme_3 for my unbelievably comfortable handlebar tape" etc etc.

At the end of a stage (or pre-race conference ) I want to hear the rider's view of the race, not a glorified commercial break and I don't care how much off-message they go.
The question then comes down to this: Would you rather listen to a glorified commercial after a race and be able to watch it ... or have no sponsorship of teams and no TV programming dedicated to it?

Sponsors pay for exposure ... to have a race and a team you need the money from the sponsors. The better riders and teams get at giving their sponsors the exposure they pay for, the more money in the sport and the better off everybody it. the post race interviews are the price you pay to watch them for free.

I'm fine with it ... I'll get the riders viewpoint later through reading articles if it means I get to watch the races live.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The question then comes down to this: Would you rather listen to a glorified commercial after a race and be able to watch it ... or have no sponsorship of teams and no TV programming dedicated to it?
That's not the choice. The teams have always had sponsors that relied on the TV and Press coverage to promote their products. In Europe there is free to air and subscription TV coverage that ensures that sponsors get air time and the better the team performs, the more air time they get. Cav remarked that he was a mobile advertising platform (e.g. his HTC celebrations), so everyone knows how it works.

On the other hand Cav telling me that Quick Step flooring products are the greatest floor tiles and that he owes his success to them just doesn't work for me. Brand awareness of Quick Step due to it being on his shirts does however encourage me to think of them should I need to purchase their products.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I believe the OP is talking about publications, not interviews with riders.
Probably ... however, I see the cycling world being behind the curve when it comes to promotion of their sponsors. They could and should be doing a lot more to keep them happy and bring more sponsors into the sport ... especially given recent events.

This includes working with the TV announcers to promote products as well as the racers and teams. Essentially the riders are rolling billboards who's sole purpose is to get the most air time for their sponsors ... whether it be in a break, on the podium, in publications, etc. However, when you hear the interviews it's pretty rare to hear them mention a sponsor ... regardless of what their product may be.

The sport has to work together with TV, written publications, online web sites, etc. to make the sponsors happy, bring more money into the sport and keep it alive. I just see cycling as behind the times compared to other sports when it comes to sponsor support.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Probably ... however, I see the cycling world being behind the curve when it comes to promotion of their sponsors. They could and should be doing a lot more to keep them happy and bring more sponsors into the sport ... especially given recent events.

This includes working with the TV announcers to promote products as well as the racers and teams.
That's the day I stop watching it. I can't think of anything worse than a TV announcer saying "Here comes Cavendish who rides for Quick Step who make really good floor tiles and he sprinting past Farrar who rides for Garmin, that well known sat nav purveyor and they've both overtaken Greipel of Lotto, why not buy your lucky ticket today."

The sponsors seem quite happy with the way things work today and get more upset about ethical issues rather than lack of coverage. If the advertising harassment drove the viewers away (and there is evidence that it has elsewhere, hence the rise in the pay to view model) then the sponsors would vanish pretty quickly.

·
Registered
23,046 Posts
That's the day I stop watching it. I can't think of anything worse than a TV announcer saying "Here comes Cavendish who rides for Quick Step who make really good floor tiles and he sprinting past Farrar who rides for Garmin, that well known sat nav purveyor and they've both overtaken Greipel of Lotto, why not buy your lucky ticket today."
Just what we need... announcers telling us. Because after watching 3hrs of the race I have no idea who Cavendish's sponsors are or what bike he rides.
View attachment 280428

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
All the makes of bikes used in cycling are much of a muchness. The so called technical brilliance of one brand versus another is illusory - the best rider wins.
In Formula One and Moto GP there are genuine differences. In Formula One - the best car wins; and in Moto GP - the best rider(s) win, but only if they are on a works Yamaha or Honda - unless it rains when other great riders can show their talents.

Sponsors are just that and use machinery/competitors as rolling billboards and pay for the racing in the hope that someone will buy their products through their association with the sports they pay for.
It's the way of the world where so many of us pay extra to wear clothes that advertise the clothes we pay extra to wear........in other words we (or most of the people I know at least) are all billboards in one way or another.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
in other words we (or most of the people I know at least) are all billboards in one way or another.
Pretty much...

If you ride a bike and haven't taken all the stickers off of it ... you are a rolling billboard for that company
If you wear a certain brand of clothing while cycling ... you are a rolling billboard for that company
If you drive a car ... you are a rolling billboard for that company
If you drink a soda out of a bottle or can ... you are a walking, rolling, driving, sitting billboard for that company

Sometimes, even when you remove the stickers, people still know what you own just from the look of the item you own.

In the end it's all about product placement, marketing and advertisement and in the sports world, that's where the money is at. The more money involved, the bigger the sport gets (in general) ... and the cycling world would do well to repair it's image through better marketing, product placement and sponsor support.

People love to make fun of the pictures with sponsor names plastered on their bikes, wheels, jerseys, etc. which anybody that pays attention to cycling would automatically know what they were because for most ... they covet those items. However, the general cycling participant that doesn't pay attention to racing that often other than big tours, has the shop do all the work on their bike and just goes off of recommendations of others ... may not have a clue what those brands are or what products they actually offer ... it's here that cycling can make a bigger dent.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Commentator: "Fabian Cancellara, you just won the 2013 Paris-Roubaix... what are you going to do now?"

FC: "I would soak my burning nutz in Liquid Ice, A ready to use, moist bandage that cools quickly and gradually to reduce excess swelling and discomfort after injuries. Simultanious compression enhances this effect, but I use a Trek Domane; Blistering speed. Incredible comfort and stability, even on the punishing pavé of Flanders and Roubaix!!"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.