Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely, economics plays a role. However, I'm quite shocked today calling around everywhere for a campy cassette lockring (and why campy doesn't provide one deserves another thread:mad: ) I live in the Bay Area and there are many high end shops so this is ridiculous. I'm also trying to buy a bottom bracket tool for the ultra torque system without luck. The future looks grim for the campy crowd.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Campy claims to stock spare parts but they are never around when you need one.
And the "cost" of for example, of the lockring, even if shop had one... I believe lockring comes with rear hubs not cassette... Most people ride Shimano so maybe that's why they don't carry it?

·
Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
samsation7 said:
I'm also trying to buy a bottom bracket tool for the ultra torque system without luck.
Bring in one of the BB cups with you to the tool area of your LBS, I cannot recall which one it is exactly but there is a park tool spanner-type wrench that fits the Campy perfect.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
That's the beauty of shopping on the internet. If you can plan ahead.

Living where I live, most shopworkers can't even spell Campy. So calling around town has never been an option.

As to why there is not lockring on the 12+ cassettes - it's a generic piece for those cassettes which are commodities and since they never wear out, why bother including one?

I could just as easily see someone ranting about having wasted $15 per cassette to have a box of unused lock rings sitting around.

·
EMS / MedEvac Pilot
121 Posts
This is why I have for decades, and will continue to, buy on-line. I am all for "supporting my local shop" but the local shop never has what I need. Plenty of Trek and Shimano stuff...but that's it. Between Excel, Colorado, and eBay I have everything I need within a couple of days. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, I used to buy handlebar tape and tires from my LBS as those are inexpensive enough. Now, Michelin pro race runs like $50 a pop so I save almost 40 dollars buying a pair through probikekit.com Same with handlebar tape. Deda cork now costs $17 + tax at my LBS whereas PBK runs $10. I've been running DA for the last few years and have Sram Force on another bike. My beater has campy veloce and I quite like the feel of the campy stuff. However, as it is, there's very little sense why I'd want campy for a high end build but I've been brainwashed and I have only myself to blame. Ebay for the lockring it is.:idea:

Emspilot said:
This is why I have for decades, and will continue to, buy on-line. I am all for "supporting my local shop" but the local shop never has what I need. Plenty of Trek and Shimano stuff...but that's it. Between Excel, Colorado, and eBay I have everything I need within a couple of days. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Our shop can order almost anything Campy for you. Three of four of our regular suppliers stock Campy and QBP stocks stuff nobody else carries.

If you come in over the weekend and order it we can "piggyback" special orders on regular orders so you don't have to pay shipping. We generally place orders Sunday night/Monday morning. Most orders will be in in two to four days. That being said, we just cannot beat internet prices.

As to why we don't stock Campy, it's pretty simple. Campy has all but abandoned the OEM production bike market in the U.S. As a "family oriented" bike shop, we just don't get much demand. And their range of components (not to mention price with the dollar sinking like a rock against the Euro) rules out trying to "stock" a decent range - cost of inventory you know.

But we still have a loyal band of Campy fans (me included) and if you don't need it yesterday, we can get it for you and make sure you're getting the right part or component.

I'm sure that loads of other "IBD's" (or as you folks call them "LBS's") are in the same boat as we are.

P.S. Campy 12 tooth lockrings generally come with hubs, Campy brand and even Campy compatible Bontragers, Mavic's, etc. 11's require a dedicated one and that's why all 11 tooth first cog Campy cassettes cost more.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
damn...I'm glad Excel is local. I don't have these issues.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I don't understand why cassettes with 11's on them come with one. Why not make that an order item? About all I use are cassettes with an 11 on them, and I have a couple of extra lock rings sitting around that will probably never get used. Will an 11 work for a 12 tooth cassette? Probably not, but I don't know for sure.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Campy includes the lockring with the hubs, not the cassettes like Shimano and SRAM do. The lockring included with the hubs fits cassettes with a 12T small cog so they include a smaller one with the cassettes that have an 11T small cog, I believe.

The UT BB shell lockring tool you are looking for is the same tool that works with Shimano, Truvativ, FSA, and probably SRAM, too. The recommended installation is to put plenty of Loctite on the threads and tighten them down by hand so the tool really isn't needed unless the cups don't thread on smoothly.

Have you tried Cycle Path in San Mateo?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
My LBS seldom has Campy on stock

By LBS is one of the largest in the Sacramento Valley region. Most of the built up bikes come with Shimano Ultegra. I see very few Campy bikes. They have a whole rack for Shimano parts and tools, they very seldom have Campy. You have to order it and they use Sinclaire Imports, one of the most expensive wholesale distributor on the planet. I inquired on the price of a Centaur cassette and they listed it for $130.00. I found one on the internet for $80.00. Campy chains? Forget it. Need a rebuild for a Campy Ergo lever? One week to get the parts. I started to do my own wrenching. The only real good deals you get are on built up bikes. I might be cheaper to buy a built up bike and use the parts for another.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Squidward said:
Campy includes the lockring with the hubs, not the cassettes like Shimano and SRAM do. The lockring included with the hubs fits cassettes with a 12T small cog so they include a smaller one with the cassettes that have an 11T small cog, I believe.

The UT BB shell lockring tool you are looking for is the same tool that works with Shimano, Truvativ, FSA, and probably SRAM, too. The recommended installation is to put plenty of Loctite on the threads and tighten them down by hand so the tool really isn't needed unless the cups don't thread on smoothly.

Have you tried Cycle Path in San Mateo?
The UT BB cup is deeper than the Shimano/Truvative/Sram/FSA thread-on bearing. The original Park/Shimano tool is not "deep" enough for the the tool to engage the slots on the cup. The Truvative tool, as well as one from FSA, is. I'm not sure about the Pedro's tool. The Park BBT-19 has the deeper recess.

You can also use the 16 notch flat wrench for Shimano (BBT-9) but those tear up the cups and you can't use a torque wrench

·
EMS / MedEvac Pilot
121 Posts
LOL...yeah, I thought about that after I hit "submit". :idea: Prior to the Net it was phone in catalog orders. That was my point....

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
Richard said:
You can also use the 16 notch flat wrench for Shimano (BBT-9) but those tear up the cups and you can't use a torque wrench
This is exactly what I'm using on my UT cups. I haven't torn up my cups, yet, using this tool. The best part was that this tool was free from my LBS since they had so many of them laying around that the guy was just giving them away to anyone willing to take one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.