Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It looks like (in the picture at the bottom) the guy was warned, and decided to proceed anyway. I realize I'm on thin ice here, but if this is how it happened then, yes, he had to be tackled. But there's not enough information in the article to make a call either way.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part of me agrees, but it still seems excessive, even for the president. Guess they have to make examples of people.

This guy probably just got back from a Yellowstone vacation after checking out the terrain past the DANGER signs :p

The buildings down here have snipers on the rooftops when the president arrives, I have no desire to mess around. People are nuts.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Absolutely necessary .. It's the POTUS.. Not my guy but he must be protected at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It looks like (in the picture at the bottom) the guy was warned, and decided to proceed anyway.
With the police cruisers flashing lights visible from blocks away, he still went ahead, as if he was delivering a bicycle bomb to the street where the motorcade was about to cross in 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The tackle was totally legit. Then it appeared he was in the 'WTF just happened' mode and quite docile and ready to comply. Then the helmeted gestapo moto guy comes along and tries to break his arm and then grinds his face into the pavement. That was the bullsh*t part.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't see a lot of detail in the article, but it does sound like a boneheaded move on the cyclist's part. But once he was restrained, don't see why more force was necessary.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I didn't see a lot of detail in the article, but it does sound like a boneheaded move on the cyclist's part. But once he was restrained, don't see why more force was necessary.
His behavior was suspicious, to say the least. At that point the cops have to assume that he may be a suicide bomber and disable his hands and arms as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
553 Posts
His behavior was suspicious, to say the least. At that point the cops have to assume that he may be a suicide bomber and disable his hands and arms as quickly as possible.
Absolutely. Once he crossed the barrier he lost his rights for a few minutes. I see it as legit and necessary.

Sometimes when you get your face rubbed in the ground and your arm almost broken, you learn a lesson.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Watching the video, the motorcade was literally seconds away.

If that guy had a bomb on his bike or in his backpack, and gotten past that checkpoint, what would we be saying about those officers?

I've been involved in Presidential security (communications in my case) and I can tell you that they will not take chances. They have to assume the worst. There was exactly ZERO chance they were going to stand in front of him, holding up their hand and ask him nicely to turn around and be on his way.

For my part, I would thank those officers for doing their jobs the way they are trained. I 100% guarantee you that is what President Obama and his security detail would say.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This would be a good video for physics class.. A slow dimwitted object in motion versus an extra large donut bagel laden NYC Cop at rest. Sure the dimwitted biker should not have done that but the large object at rest lost his footing otherwise it looks like he would have just held him up. Then again maybe his disc brakes failed…

My only issue was the bike cop took his job a little too seriously with the knee to the back of the head. If anything they should have been done it should have been to grab him and remove him from the area ASAP before Obama comes through on his way to 5 guys burgers and fries. My personal favorite moment was the SS guy giving the bike cop a low five for the knee to the head. But then again he probably just got of the plane from his time off in South America.. If it was Bernie he would have stopped the car and found out what the hell was going on. Hilary and Trump would have asked that they drive over top of him.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
they will not take chances. They have to assume the worst.
That's what it is.

A buddy of mine is in law enforcement business and I've heard all sorts of things where some innocent looking individual going bonkers all of a sudden.

Viewers have to understand the cop's point of view. Most people don't deal with trouble makers on daily basis so that video may look harsh in their perception but to the cops, every suspicion has to be dealt with at full potential, otherwise they risk failing their job or even losing their own lives.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Having spent the vast majority of my life, including my growing up years, with a fully nuclear Naval Weapons Station as my next door neighbor, I have never doubted that a road block was, in fact, a road block. Those Marines are serious. The big signs informing you that you no longer have civil legal system rights when you go on their property... The gun ships. I can't speak to that dudes thinking, but it's a common occurrence here and you need to be a complete, and I mean complete, freaking idiot to cross a road block.

·
Registered
912 Posts
How many can say that POTUS and the NYPD cock blocked them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts