Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired a 1990 Trek 970. Really nice shape...old style geometry, lugged steel frame, eyelets for racks and fenders, rigid steel fork. I'm already well into converting it into a very good commuter. It's not quite as long and heavy as tourers I've handled, but somebody tell me why this bike wouldn't work, loaded for light touring? The chainstays are 43cm, it's got canti's, and appropriate gearing for loaded touring. Anyone else doing this? I'm thinking an Old Man Mountain rack in the back, maybe some light panniers in the front, to balance the load.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If you look at the Rivendell Atlantis, that's essentially what it is -- an early 90s mountain bike frame, 26" wheels and all. My wife has an old Giant Rincon that I have been tempted to turn into a commuter/touring bike since she never rides it. It has all the elements needed for a commuter/tourer -- eyelets for racks and fenders, longish chain stays, canti/V brakes, threaded stem. It just needs some slick tires and fenders.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rcnute said:
Because you're overthinking.:2:
Word on that! One more question. The rear wheel is...strange. Instead of a 135mm hub with a 7 spd freewheel, it's got a 126mm hub with a bunch of spacers to make up the dif, and keep the chainline correct. This is not stock; it looks like an LBS or somebody did this as a kludge-was it because of 7 speed freewheels tendency to break? My options are: 1.)Ride as is, don't overwork it. I don't mind doing this around town; out in the toolies might be a different matter.
2.)Replace with a bombproof Phil freewheel hub and 7 spd freewheel. (3.)Ditch the old, replace with 8 or 9 speed cassette, and new derailleur. If this were yours, which would you do? TIA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would find a cheap 8/9 speed mountain bike wheel and an inexpensive cassette...actually if it were me I would watch CraigsList (or probably post a wanted ad) and pickup a wheel with a 9 speed cassette for under $50...probably a good amount under. From there you just have to figure out what shifters to use...which is another CraigsList add :)

I built up my commuter/tourer from mostly CraigsList parts. All in very good condition...all for considerably less than "new" price.

Jared

·
Registered
162 Posts
Old mountain frames are fundamentally incompatible with modern day asphalt... something about sympathetic frequencies between the bike and the bad gravel that road pavers have been using these days, and weird resonant properties of the old brazing wire alloys. Scientists have conclusively proven that such attempts have resulted in wild mutations, spontaneous combustion, cottage cheese, or even death.

It's just bad mojo, for you, your streets, and the ones you love. Just say no.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Doggity said:
The rear wheel is...strange. Instead of a 135mm hub with a 7 spd freewheel, it's got a 126mm hub with a bunch of spacers to make up the dif, and keep the chainline correct. This is not stock; it looks like an LBS or somebody did this as a kludge-was it because of 7 speed freewheels tendency to break? My options are: 1.)Ride as is, don't overwork it. I don't mind doing this around town; out in the toolies might be a different matter.
2.)Replace with a bombproof Phil freewheel hub and 7 spd freewheel. (3.)Ditch the old, replace with 8 or 9 speed cassette, and new derailleur. If this were yours, which would you do? TIA.
Wow, from leave that krazy kludge alone to Phil? Seems like quite a distance between those two options. Number three sounds easy enough to me.

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Does it have thumbshifters?

If so, you could just pick up a new MTB wheel with a 9-speed cassette, and just shift it in friction mode. Shouldn't need a new derailleur, as it should be able to shift the sweep, as long as it isn't played out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.