Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So schedules and the weather finally worked out and I got to test ride some road bikes last week. The first test ride was an eye opener, and mostly in a positive way. The one and only negative thing I can say is that the road bikes did not have as smooth a ride as my hybrid (which has fork shocks and a suspension seat post). Every thing else was better... Body position, speed, shifting (the indexed brake shifters were easier to get adjusted to than I expected), speed, etc. Why the heck did I wait so long? (Oh yeah... convincing the wife I needed a proper road bike.) The difference between my hybrid (or my road bike from 30 years ago) and the modern road bike (even entry level) was a huge eye opener.

I went home with a 2015 Raleigh Revenio 3.0 (LBS had them on sale - the Revenio was replaced by the Merit in 2016).

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

So, if you are on a hybrid or comfort bike or MTB, and considering the leap to a road bike, the jump to a road bike is a significant improvement (on the road). And prices are very good right now. You can get a lot of bike for your $$$ and still have enough of the riding season left to enjoy it. I wish I'd bought mine a couple months ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats! I am looking at the Giant Defy 5 leftover or new Contend for a road machine. They do fly and are so nice nowdays for reasonable money

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
Enjoy yourself! And yeah, there is something magical about how much power & speed you can put onto the pavement with a racing bicycle. Add in the handling and control and it's near paradise. You don't need to race to appreciate it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is so much different, and better, than when I had my Itoh 10 speed thirty years ago. Last Saturday, I did a solo 34 mile ride at an average of 17.2mph, with over 900 feet of climbing. That is over 1 mph faster than my fastest average (and that over a shorter distance with less climbing). I could never do that on my hybrid bike or MTB. I can't believe how much faster I am on relatively flat ground.

I've learned and re-learned quite a bit in this process. I wrote down a number of observations, but it would have been quite a lengthy post.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I've learned and re-learned quite a bit in this process. I wrote down a number of observations, but it would have been quite a lengthy post.
Nothing better than noobs learning from other noobs (or reintroduced noobs) experiences. I say go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts