Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
102F right now. Supposed to get to 104 today. I shoulda checked the weather...the commute home in this weather sucks and mentally I am totally not ready for it. Sure I commute all summer in it but it is just so sudden. We have had perfect commuting weather so far this year, just slowly easing us into the warmer weather but then it hit today.

Just have to "sweat" it out I guess.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
because that is the joy

of commuting. If you checked the weather all the time, you would just think of reasons not to ride. But 102 - yech. I would die. It was 30 Celsius (86 F) here this weekend and it felt like a furnace to me.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
rockcrusher said:
102F right now. Supposed to get to 104 today. I shoulda checked the weather...the commute home in this weather sucks and mentally I am totally not ready for it. Sure I commute all summer in it but it is just so sudden. We have had perfect commuting weather so far this year, just slowly easing us into the warmer weather but then it hit today.

Just have to "sweat" it out I guess.
You could come up to Phoenix and sweat it out at 110 or whatever it was. The heat wasn't so bad; it was the constant wind from the west that took its toll on me.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I got home I checked the weather and noticed that it was hotter in Phoenix and I was happy because at least I don't live in phoenix. Plus that west wind…tail wind for me. I flew, it was like riding into my wife's hair dryer for 40 minutes but it was fast. 32mph on one section for me.

Still sweated a ton, thank goodness for the Halo headband. Kept the sweat off the specs for 11 miles of heat and haulin' ass.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
rockcrusher said:
When I got home I checked the weather and noticed that it was hotter in Phoenix and I was happy because at least I don't live in phoenix. Plus that west wind…tail wind for me. I flew, it was like riding into my wife's hair dryer for 40 minutes but it was fast. 32mph on one section for me.

Still sweated a ton, thank goodness for the Halo headband. Kept the sweat off the specs for 11 miles of heat and haulin' ass.
Those Halo headbands are something special. I've been using those as well as regular cycling caps. Now I know why so many people use the cap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah it's been what? like... 90-95 here the past couple days (portland, OR) and I can't stand it. I would much prefer 60 and rainy to 95 and... death... ugh... Oh and empty_set, is that the gerbil thing from 12 oz mouse?!?!?!? That is so bada$$!!!

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
6am

42°F

Feels Like
39°F

Here's my forecast for tomarrow's commute. What should I do?
Ride it like you stole it!

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
6am

42°F

Feels Like
39°F

Here's my forecast for tomarrow's commute. What should I do?
Ride it like you stole it!

I really don't even look at the weather anymore. It won't change anything for me. I still have to ride. I always carry a rain jacket with me this time of year, but that's about as prepared as I get.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Yesterday's weather for the commute: 5:30 AM 38 F with 20 mph sustained winds from the N. W. High temp for the day 52 F.
Today's weather : 5:30 AM 42 F calm winds. High temp for the day 56F
Tomorrows forecast: 5:30 AM 40F 17 mph winds from the west. High temp for the day 50F.

Welcome to late May in Ohio. :-(

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
our forecast for today:

Windy...sunny. Areas of blowing dust. Highs 97 to 102. South wind 15 to 25 mph increasing to southwest 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 50 mph in the afternoon.

Yay 50mph winds. Hope that is a tail wind, yeehaw!! 'course it will be a head wind as all winds tend to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the winds or the heat: What's worse

I just bought a ss road bike, I'm running 42x16, which is good into the wind, but on my rides home, I may be wishing for a larger chainring up front. I should have 30 MPH tail winds this afternoon going from Downtown phx to Tempe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Everyday I tell myself that riding my SS into headwinds makes me stronger. But it would be nice to see how strong I'm getting. Hey, I'm still waiting to ride with the temp. over 80 degrees this year. I'm about to get on my bike to ride home, and it's 58 degrees.

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
rockcrusher said:
Today it was downright cold. 63F with a strong headwind. A high of only 80 to 85 and get this, a chance of showers. Yikes!!

Hey, don't knock it!! We'll be hot again soon enough. I was bitterly hating these winds yesterday morning as it took me twice as long as it should have to get to campus, but since they've brought this weather I'm not complaining. Still took forever to get in again today - I kind of wanted gears this morning.

But I'll take this weather as long as I can get it. 100+ degrees for 3 months straight gets a bit demoralizing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.