Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
spokes are from Mavic only, harder to get, low spoke count wheels tend to use heavier rims for durability. heavier rims are always a bad idea. there are lighter options that are easier to repair, sturdier and cost less. mavic struck gold when it discovered the public bought the Ksyrium line. there is a set for every price point. try to get a shop to build you a set of wheels or repair a wheel and 9 times out of 10 they'll walk you out to the Ksyrium display and give a sales pitch on why your 1 year old hand builts aren't worth the time and how the Mavic ks will do the same blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Plus in an effort to save weight for marketing purposes, the freehub body has a plastic bushing instead of bearings, and needs to be replaced fairly often. Further, until 2011, the rear spokes are radial on the drive side, to allow for Campy cassettes to fit without interference, which means that power must transfer through the hubshell, to the NDS spokes, which are 2x, to actually transmit power.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
cmg said:
spokes are from Mavic only, harder to get, low spoke count wheels tend to use heavier rims for durability. heavier rims are always a bad idea. there are lighter options that are easier to repair, sturdier and cost less. mavic struck gold when it discovered the public bought the Ksyrium line. there is a set for every price point. try to get a shop to build you a set of wheels or repair a wheel and 9 times out of 10 they'll walk you out to the Ksyrium display and give a sales pitch on why your 1 year old hand builts aren't worth the time and how the Mavic ks will do the same blah, blah, blah.
+1...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
bent steel said:
Plus in an effort to save weight for marketing purposes, the freehub body has a plastic bushing instead of bearings, and needs to be replaced fairly often. Further, until 2011, the rear spokes are radial on the drive side, to allow for Campy cassettes to fit without interference, which means that power must transfer through the hubshell, to the NDS spokes, which are 2x, to actually transmit power.

Doesn't this overly stress the hub? saw a photo of a broken hub. the radial spokes become pulling spokes when torque is applied.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have an old set of Ksyrium SL's from around 2003, the black ones. Bought used on the bay and have stood up extremely well over many '000 Km of riding on not so good surfaces, and with a 190 # rider. Did very minor truing once. Perhaps not the fastest - but have been reliable for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My American Classic sprint 350's with Sapim CXrays cost $700 and I got a set of Conti GT3000s included. 1,246 gram wheels and I have thousands of miles on them with no truing or spoke breakage.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Evidently, for you fast types, the Ksyriums have aero issues as well. Luckily for me, I ride too slow and my Equipes work fine :blush2:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
they are a somewhat reliable wheel

i wouldnt buy them though because every hubbard has them on their giant defy and i am a snob

·
fu
2,424 Posts
tglenn said:
My American Classic sprint 350's with Sapim CXrays cost $700 and I got a set of Conti GT3000s included. 1,246 gram wheels and I have thousands of miles on them with no truing or spoke breakage.
Are the newer ACS 350's heavier than the ones you have or do you ride 650's? The advertised weight of the set is 14010g for the 700c version.

·
Registered
185 Posts
bent steel said:
I tossed the mavic wheels on the MTB due to the junk freehub body bushing. Its 2010 time to replace the bushing with a bearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ph0enix said:
Are the newer ACS 350's heavier than the ones you have or do you ride 650's? The advertised weight of the set is 14010g for the 700c version.
Their site says 1,300 even for the 700c like I have with the Sapim titanium spoke option. Ceramic bearing is a hair lighter as well. My friend ordered a set when I did and his weighed 1,277.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I have a pair of 2003 Elites that came on my first bike. They are rarely used anymore since that's now my backup's backup bike, but they're as true as the first day I bought them and the only issue I've ever had was 100% self-inflicted.

They seem to work okay for me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i got a pair on a bike in 2005 and they have handled hard riding (dirt roads, off curbs, potholes, bunny hopping stuff, racing, things like that) very well. I've trued them a couple times, done some minor maintenance and they still feel fine.

I don't like how a metal spoke wrench was kind of pricey and it is only good for their nipples. I had to replace 2 spokes on my brother's set (2007) (looked like something came in from the side) and the spokes cost a lost more than standard spokes, and they had to be ordered in.

Overall they seem like good wheels for just cruising around on, but i don't know if I'd buy a set given all the options i know of now.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
skaruda_23 said:
If elites are too heavy for you then you are too old.
Quoted by Mavic @ 1550g. Mavic is VERY optimistic when they state wheel weights. The pair I weighed 3 days ago at the shop were 1690g. Only off by 10%...

The heaviest set of wheels I own are 1540g.

The fact that your are betrothed to Mavic for any sort of support, other than getting the wheels trued, is a huge issue, and a no go for a lot of folks who know more than their shop tells them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts