Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question. It doesn't quite make sense to me, but I'm sure there's a reason…because not only do they all seem longer than road…they all seem about the same +/- a few millimeters regardless of price or maker.

Just curious. You guys know more than I do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why doesn't it make sense? It's not necessarily something builders/designers set out to achieve, but there's no way around the basic math that slacker heat tube angle + longer chainstays = longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Why doesn't that make sense? Wider/larger tire + slacker angles is going to necessitate a longer wheelbase. Besides, longer wheelbase usually equals more stable, an attribute usually wanted while riding over uneven terrain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool…thanks. answered. though i'm not sure why comfort matters for cross…if you're riding a road bike off road and getting covered in mud on tires at 30psi, who cares if the back end vibrates more or less…

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
moostapha said:
cool…thanks. answered. though i'm not sure why comfort matters for cross…if you're riding a road bike off road and getting covered in mud on tires at 30psi, who cares if the back end vibrates more or less…
Improved comfort can lead to decreased overall fatigue. if you are comfortable, you can push your body that much further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts