Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to cycling, and am just wondering if there are any practical reasons for shaving your legs if you are cycling competitively, or if it is just purely looks.

Thanks to all,
Nick

·
Registered
21 Posts
At the top of this section of the beginners forum page is a sticky from funk nuggets....with arguably more info. on shaving and other depilation techniques than you ever wanted to know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chasgator said:
At the top of this section of the beginners forum page is a sticky from funk nuggets....with arguably more info. on shaving and other depilation techniques than you ever wanted to know.
yes, i have looked through that. i'm not concerned with the technique, but rather why?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
n_schuster said:
Hello,
I am new to cycling, and am just wondering if there are any practical reasons for shaving your legs if you are cycling competitively, or if it is just purely looks.

Thanks to all,
Nick
It's a fraternity kind of thing. It shows that you are a committed member of the roadie cult. - TF

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Reasons cyclists shave their legs

n_schuster said:
Hello,
There are a variety of reasons cyclists shave their legs, which fall into two basic categories:

Category 1 - Completely bogus reasons that have been made up because cyclists don't want to admit the real reason they shave their legs:
- Makes getting massages easier
- Allows road rash to heal better
- More aerodynamic

Category 2 - Real reasons cyclists shave their leg:
- It looks cool
- To fit in
- Because that's what "real" cyclists do

·
Registered
108 Posts
one explanation

one explanation i heard from a racing roadie, is that when sweat runs down your leg hair it will be fanned by the wind, making an airconditioning effect on your warm muscles. this, in his opinion, contributes to cramps. Is this anywhere near reasonable????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fouadaswad said:
one explanation i heard from a racing roadie, is that when sweat runs down your leg hair it will be fanned by the wind, making an airconditioning effect on your warm muscles. this, in his opinion, contributes to cramps. Is this anywhere near reasonable????
yeah, that seems a little crazy. I think Mark in up there has the right idea.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Seriously, it wasn't the "fits into group" thing for me.

It was the "how many hairs have to get ripped out by leg grippers and lycra?" Man, that HURT.

It's noticably cooler in the summer.

But my legs showed the Italian in me, pre-razor...

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Argentius said:
It was the "how many hairs have to get ripped out by leg grippers and lycra?" Man, that HURT.
I've struggled with my P. Izumi and many other warmers as they slide off... no silicone grippers... until I got some Demarchi warmers...these things are fabulous... silicone grippers... you put them on and they absolutely stay (and much better material and construction in my opinion)... but OUCH! do they hurt! ...realized these silicone grippers are pulling on my hair! Solution? Shave... I swore I'd never do it but hey... I like it, my GF... accepts it.. and my non-cycling buddies.... the hell with them...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mark McM said:
There are a variety of reasons cyclists shave their legs, which fall into two basic categories:

Category 1 - Completely bogus reasons that have been made up because cyclists don't want to admit the real reason they shave their legs:
- Makes getting massages easier
- Allows road rash to heal better
- More aerodynamic

Category 2 - Real reasons cyclists shave their leg:
- It looks cool
- To fit in
- Because that's what "real" cyclists do
I started shaving the first time for reason 2, but started again for reason 1 after a minor case of road rash on the track. Road rash really does heal better, since bandages stick better without hair. Plus, it's easier to apply sunscreen. Oh, and all the reasons from cat 2 as well. :)

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been thinking of this question myself for a while and I have another to add..
Why don't cyclists shave their arms? If they shave their legs for aero reasons, don't the arms go thru the air at the same speed? Road rash- your arms can get it too. Cooling- wont that work for them as well? I never understood that one. GN

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Gnau said:
I've been thinking of this question myself for a while and I have another to add..
Why don't cyclists shave their arms? If they shave their legs for aero reasons, don't the arms go thru the air at the same speed? Road rash- your arms can get it too. Cooling- wont that work for them as well? I never understood that one. GN
only girly, wimpy, body builders and swimmers shave their arms. that's just ridiculous kooky talk. besides, i'm straight :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
Gnau said:
What, are you a gorilla or something with such thick arm hair as to require shaving? :p

·
Registered
732 Posts
Gnau said:
My arm hairs are just as thick as my legs, I think... umm, well maybe not! But you get my point!:p
That could be good - or bad if you have really hairy legs... :eek:

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Its not the road rash heals better... it helps lessen it. Try this... with a full head of steam... slide into second base with hair on one leg and shave the other, try it twice with only shorts on once on both sides.... see what happens. Money says you end up with one hell of a rash on the side with hair. It doesn't PREVENT it, but if you ride competitively, you will see wrecks. And those that shave will likely have had experiences where they have gone down, either due to slick road conditions or some other rider or reason. In the situations where you slide... this effect is put into play. I can think of more than one occasion in which I have gone down and slid on my side. I will have... almost without fail... a bruise/scrape on my hip.... nearly ZERO rash on my shaved legs, and a rash on my forearm (which i dont shave). Most of the times, some miniscule scratches, but rarely rash on my legs.

Plus, the cooling thing is an issue. When I have leg hair, sometimes in the off season, my legs sweat worse, or maybe not worse... its just that when they do sweat, It like trickles down into the hair and tickles and itches and is otherwise uncomfortable. But then again, if I had never shaved, I would never know the difference I guess.

Im about aesthetics too, though. I hate in the off season when your hair pokes through your tights or shorts. Just unsightly.

Does it help with massage?... who knows, I don't get them.

Does it have some aero advantage? Im sure, but for the majority of us it is not noticable.

You know, for me... it serves as a constant reminder of my cycling passion. It is a constant reminder of diet choices I can make, it guilts me in to training when I dont feel like it... its more of something I do to make me think and feel like a cyclist. Does that make sense? But, that is just me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts