Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ten Dollar Jockey
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I bought a Kuota KOM. It's a large, which is the equivalent of a 56 (some say maybe even a 57). I don't like the stiffness of the Kuota, and the bike shop that's fitting me (I went there complaining about perineal pain) finally told me that I am a 54.

Prior to the Kuota, my Cannondale was a 54. Today, they loaned me a Specialized Tarmac SL 3 to ride - size 54. The owner is getting a new frame, so I can by the frame and swap components. The SL 3 is beautiful.

Most people probably think I am crazy, but my first impression is that the KOM way out climbs the SL 3. The SL 3 is plenty fast on the flats...it is a little less harsh.

The SL 3 feels too short. Is it possible that although the KOM is too big for me....it's really a better fit?

BTW...found out that a lot of my perineal pain came from old worn out chamois.

·
Registered
409 Posts
k.. you are a little bit all over the place but two things.

you are used tot he other bike, even if it doesnt fit you, you feel more confident on it.

depending on what position the other bike puts your body in you may be using fewer muscle groups.

being stretched out on the bike with seat to handlebar drop allows you to use more muscle groups to power the bike, but, for many, its uncomfortable and its the main reason its so important that a cyclist develop good flexibility.

check the pros bikes, tons of drop and long top tubes and stems. they are just about laying on the bike.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You start out by asking why the great performance out of a bike that was too large...but you are not comparing the same bicycle. The real fact of the matter is that the KOM is probably a better climber than the Specialized. It actually has nothing to do with the sizes of the bicycles. Try a KOM that fits and then you can write about the size difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts