Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at various pics of the bikes of the pros on cyclingnews and various videos and whatnot, it seems to me like rather a lot of pros ride non-anatomical bars. By that I mean that the drops are a continuous curve, rather than having a straight section where one can rest one's hands. Seems that sprinters in particular prefer "shallow" drops; anyone know why this is? And why so many pros in general don't use anatomical bars? Seems like they're more comfortable to me...

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Preference. I ride Pro bend also. I like to ride more in the drops or in the hooks and the grip just feels better to me over the anatomical type bars. It's all a part of bike fit and the better the fit the harder and faster you will go.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Maybe its because the guys who spend maybe 4, 5 or 6 hours a day on their bikes, every day, to earn a living prefer to ride what they find to be comfortable bars rather than the latest NEW! EXCITING! stuff that 'consumers' tend to rush out and buy to replace perfectly good stuff when told to?

I don't aspire to anywhere near the lofty heights, but I have a photo of me racing in the mid 1960's and my bars are much the same shape as the Deda 215 shallow (and non-anatomic!) ones I've ended up with on my primary bikes now.

OTOH, if you like your present bars, why swap? Comfort is all to do with you, not some fad-inventing marketing dept.

D

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Dereck said:
Maybe its because the guys who spend maybe 4, 5 or 6 hours a day on their bikes, every day, to earn a living prefer to ride what they find to be comfortable bars rather than the latest NEW! EXCITING! stuff that 'consumers' tend to rush out and buy to replace perfectly good stuff when told to?

I don't aspire to anywhere near the lofty heights, but I have a photo of me racing in the mid 1960's and my bars are much the same shape as the Deda 215 shallow (and non-anatomic!) ones I've ended up with on my primary bikes now.

OTOH, if you like your present bars, why swap? Comfort is all to do with you, not some fad-inventing marketing dept.

D
Gee, I guess the guys in the pro peloton w/ anatomic bars are just dolts, eh? To help Dereck here, not all anatomic bars are the same. There are the sorts with the flat in the drops, and then there are the sorts w/ progressive curves on the drops. It's a matter of personal preference only, which may come as a surprise to the idjits that assume that new things can't be any good.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I figured. I have one bike with non-anatomical shallow drops, and another with anatomical drops, both Deda Newtons. I prefer the anatomicals, as I have big hands and the shallow drops feel a bit narrow when motoring along in the drops; I'm thinking sprinters ride the shallow drops because they sprint in the drops, and standing in the sprint they grab the nice long tails of the bars, rather than the bends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.