Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the X1's for a while. Like 'em. Recently I purchased a pair of Zeros -- the kind with the adjustable float. Well, the float adjusts just fine, but the float itself if really stiff compared to the X1's. It's so stiff that it doesn't feel like there's really any float in there at all. What gives! Will this break in? Did I just get a bad pair cleats?
 

·
Shoebomber
Joined
·
174 Posts
I've heard that if you screw the cleats down too tightly float and disengagement can become difficult on the Zeroes. I don't own a pair though, so I don't know for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
They suck...

Drone 5200 said:
I've had the X1's for a while. Like 'em. Recently I purchased a pair of Zeros -- the kind with the adjustable float. Well, the float adjusts just fine, but the float itself if really stiff compared to the X1's. It's so stiff that it doesn't feel like there's really any float in there at all. What gives! Will this break in? Did I just get a bad pair cleats?
They suck because they're Speedplay pedals.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Drone 5200 said:
I've had the X1's for a while. Like 'em. Recently I purchased a pair of Zeros -- the kind with the adjustable float. Well, the float adjusts just fine, but the float itself if really stiff compared to the X1's. It's so stiff that it doesn't feel like there's really any float in there at all. What gives! Will this break in? Did I just get a bad pair cleats?
This is absurd.....You have the freefloating one's and you like them......you get restricted floating one'sand they feel like they have no float.....well, realtive to the X/1's the have very little float. You are used to the free floating one's......anything else is going to feel like you are locked in.

Either give them a little time to see if they feel better or go back to the x/1's.

If you like the X/1's why change?

Len
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
Thank you Len

Len J said:
This is absurd.....You have the freefloating one's and you like them......you get restricted floating one'sand they feel like they have no float.....well, realtive to the X/1's the have very little float. You are used to the free floating one's......anything else is going to feel like you are locked in.

Either give them a little time to see if they feel better or go back to the x/1's.

If you like the X/1's why change?

Len
I read this a few hours back and didn't have the opportunity to reply but thought the same thing.

Speedplay makes the X series, lots of people like them but the ones that don't say
1) They don't like the biking on an ice cube feeling
2) The feeling that they could clip out at any moment
3) The lack of connection all the floats makes them feel they've lost their connedtion to the machine over the hard clamping, brand "Y" they've grown accustomed to.

So they build the Zero to meet those concerns and somebody who likes all the float, still feels connected to the bike, and dosn't find that the clip out easily wonders where all the great features of a Speedplay pedal went.

Pssssss......they didn't build for you (or me), they built for all those people who LOVE their Looks and want those features.

Scot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Len J said:
This is absurd.....You have the freefloating one's and you like them......you get restricted floating one'sand they feel like they have no float.....well, realtive to the X/1's the have very little float. You are used to the free floating one's......anything else is going to feel like you are locked in.

Either give them a little time to see if they feel better or go back to the x/1's.

If you like the X/1's why change?

Len

Len,

I expect pop-offs from Magnolialover, but usually you show more tolerance.

The first reason I switched was to go with a longer spindle. One can special order Speedplays in different spindle lengths. I discussing the new pedals with my LBS, I decided to go with the Zeros because I was under the impression that the only difference between the Zeros and the X's was that with the Zeros you can adjust the float anywhere from 0 to 15 degrees. I thought it would be nice to have less float, but still have some to go easy on the knees.

To my surprise, after installing and using the Zeros, the "feel" of the float is very different. The shoe can rotate so it would not be accurate to say thet there is no float, but there is a tremendous amount of friction such that it feels more like my old SPD-SLs. That's what I meant when I described them as stiff.

I was hoping for coments and comparisons from people who have used both the x's and the zeros. If you haven't used both then I wouldn't expect you to be competent to comment on the issue. I think my feedback is useful to those who might be trying to compare the two models.

Anyway, I'll try them for a few more rides and if the Zeros dont loosen up (and I suspect they wont) then I'll swap the spindles and go back to the trusty X's.

Any comments from people how have used both would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dick Rhee said:
I've heard that if you screw the cleats down too tightly float and disengagement can become difficult on the Zeroes. I don't own a pair though, so I don't know for sure.
Dick, that could be it. I'll check it at home tonight. Thanks.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Fair enough.....

Drone 5200 said:
Len,

I expect pop-offs from Magnolialover, but usually you show more tolerance.

The first reason I switched was to go with a longer spindle. One can special order Speedplays in different spindle lengths. I discussing the new pedals with my LBS, I decided to go with the Zeros because I was under the impression that the only difference between the Zeros and the X's was that with the Zeros you can adjust the float anywhere from 0 to 15 degrees. I thought it would be nice to have less float, but still have some to go easy on the knees.

To my surprise, after installing and using the Zeros, the "feel" of the float is very different. The shoe can rotate so it would not be accurate to say thet there is no float, but there is a tremendous amount of friction such that it feels more like my old SPD-SLs. That's what I meant when I described them as stiff.

I was hoping for coments and comparisons from people who have used both the x's and the zeros. If you haven't used both then I wouldn't expect you to be competent to comment on the issue. I think my feedback is useful to those who might be trying to compare the two models.

Anyway, I'll try them for a few more rides and if the Zeros dont loosen up (and I suspect they wont) then I'll swap the spindles and go back to the trusty X's.

Any comments from people how have used both would be appreciated.
I have used both.......took the zero's back after a few rides.

Zero's were stiffer .......if your's are that stiff...check to see that you haven't overtightened the base plate or the spring holders...if they are "bowed' at all, even regular speedplay's can bind if overtightened. Also check to see if you used the right shim adjusters for your shoes.

I still don't get why you'd change if you liked the x/1's You can get longer spindles on the regular speedplays. I don't mess with my knees once I find something that works.

And I don't think it was a pop-off...I was responding to the info you originally posted.

Look at your title.

Len
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Even though Speedplays can be a touch finicky I freaking love my zeros. Since switching from Time's I've had zero knee pain. Trick for me has been to use loctite on the cleat screws, and make sure I don't screw them in too tight. Keep the pedals clean and lubed as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Len J said:
I have used both.......took the zero's back after a few rides.

Zero's were stiffer .......if your's are that stiff...check to see that you haven't overtightened the base plate or the spring holders...if they are "bowed' at all, even regular speedplay's can bind if overtightened. Also check to see if you used the right shim adjusters for your shoes.

I still don't get why you'd change if you liked the x/1's You can get longer spindles on the regular speedplays. I don't mess with my knees once I find something that works.

And I don't think it was a pop-off...I was responding to the info you originally posted.

Look at your title.

Len
I'll admit that my title and the OP are not as serious sounding as maybe they could be.

Aside from the longer spindle, I would like a little less float in the x1s. I have to really twist to get out, not to the point of difficulty, but just a bit more than feels natural. I'm not the most flexible, that's for sure. Anyway, I thought I could eliminate that with the the adjustable zeros but, alas, the float really is not the same feel -- its not as free. Examining the cleats and I can see why. It's an entirely different mechanism. I think I'll end up swapping the spindles and that should get me where I want to be. Had I posted before my purchase then maybe I could have avoided buying the whole pedal. Speedplay does sell just the spindles. No matter. One thing I really enjoy about this hobby is the tinkering.

Thanks for the input, Len J. Apologies if my response was overly defensive.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Drone 5200 said:
I'll admit that my title and the OP are not as serious sounding as maybe they could be.

Aside from the longer spindle, I would like a little less float in the x1s. I have to really twist to get out, not to the point of difficulty, but just a bit more than feels natural. I'm not the most flexible, that's for sure. Anyway, I thought I could eliminate that with the the adjustable zeros but, alas, the float really is not the same feel -- its not as free. Examining the cleats and I can see why. It's an entirely different mechanism. I think I'll end up swapping the spindles and that should get me where I want to be. Had I posted before my purchase then maybe I could have avoided buying the whole pedal. Speedplay does sell just the spindles. No matter. One thing I really enjoy about this hobby is the tinkering.

Thanks for the input, Len J. Apologies if my response was overly defensive.
Are you sure you've got the right shims under the cleats? Are you sure the screws aren't too tight? I believe they give a torque value for the screws. They definitely say that once you meet resistance with the screw, turn 1/4 turn past that.

I'd dismount and remount the cleats again to be sure you've done it just right.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,882 Posts
It's gotta be the overtightening thing.

I've ridden both, and the float of the Zero, for as long as it lasts, feels exactly the same as the X, it just takes more force to clip out and the max float is about half that of X's.

I love them.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Drone 5200 said:
Apologies if my response was overly defensive.
Apalogize if my original was harsh...I was having a bad day.

Len
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
I was the reverse, I started with the X series and much prefer the Zero's to them.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Sppedplay Zero Cleat Too Tight?

I just got some Zero's and am having a real hard time getting out of them....had a couple times when I thought that I was going over. Anyway, I didn't know about having the cleats screwed down too tight...

I assume that since I'm using the spacer/shim that it's the four small phillips head screws that may be too tight....and if they are too tight that the cleat could be slightly warped as a result? How does one tell if they are too tight? Just go with the 1/4 turn past first contact?
 

·
Shoebomber
Joined
·
174 Posts
Drone 5200 said:
I would like a little less float in the x1s. I have to really twist to get out, not to the point of difficulty, but just a bit more than feels natural. I'm not the most flexible, that's for sure. Anyway, I thought I could eliminate that with the the adjustable zeros but, alas, the float really is not the same feel -- its not as free.
I know that it seems minorly sacrilegious to suggest this, but try the Speedplay Frogs. Yes, I realize it's a mountain pedal. Still though, it has the same free float feeling, but features a much less severe disengagement angle (x series has 28 degrees, Frogs have 20 degrees). It sounds like this may be more for you than the zeroes if you fix the cleat and it still feels too tight.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
longhorn31 said:
I just got some Zero's and am having a real hard time getting out of them....had a couple times when I thought that I was going over. Anyway, I didn't know about having the cleats screwed down too tight...

I assume that since I'm using the spacer/shim that it's the four small phillips head screws that may be too tight....and if they are too tight that the cleat could be slightly warped as a result? How does one tell if they are too tight? Just go with the 1/4 turn past first contact?
For the Zeros: max torque on the three large screws (that fasten the base plate to the shoe) is 35 inch pounds. Max torque on the 4 screws that fasten the spring housing to the base plate is 20 inch pounds....or 1/4 turn past first resistance when tightening the screw.

The instructions can be downloaded here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I'm not sure about why the pedals suck for you, but in my experience, they sucked because I had a hell of a time getting clipped in. Getting out was fine, but to get in, I really had to STOMP down HARD on the pedals. It was a real PITA. I tried loosening the cleat screws, but I still had no luck. Maybe the screws needed to be even looser? I'm not sure -- I went back to my X2's. The only reason I switched in the first place was because I was hoping to have the features of my X2's along w/better cleat tolerance to the mud/dirt that I sometimes seem to step in. The Zero's don't have the spring in the cleat where muck gets stuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
I switched from the Xs to the Zero because I was wearing out the springs and base plate of the Xs in a 6-7 month period. I have a bad right knee that needs float and the Xs allowed too much float for that knee. It turns out that the Zeros allow sufficient movement for the knee and hopefully the different cleat system will not wear out as soon.

With the Zeros, I could hardly get the cleat to engage the pedal. White Lighting was not sufficient. I tried the new Finish Line super slick liquid that turns to a wax and it works great. The pressure to disengage the cleat is about the same as for most systems, but significantly more than the Xs which is good for me, but may not be what you want.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top