Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a B-day party last Saturday and noticed that almost everyone there acted old. The few people there, in their 60's looked (and acted) like they were ready to get planted. People in their 50's were almost as bad. Many of them walked "funny", and complained about their aches and pains. The 40 somethings sat around sucking up beers and talked about when they were "young", and the 30 year olds were starting to show their gut and talk about all the great stupid TV shows that they watch.
I guess that that's just the way it is with your normal made in America Americans.
It was so depressing. I couldn't wait to leave.

Why do people change? Are they just tired of living?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
You should have given Cooper a call...he would have gotten those peoples up and moving....

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I think when a bunch of old people are around together, they do talk and act "old". I believe this is mostly because they all have something in common. THEY'RE ALL OLD.

And furthermore, 60 is not old. 60 is the new 50.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
They don't excercise - they aren't active.
They are on too many meds - downward spiral
They talk about thier ailments - and not much else. Pretty soon they start believing they have what the other person has on top of thier existing issues.

The list goes on.

·
24,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I would of had the correct ingredients, I could have made them some brownies that would have knocked 25 years off of their age.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Obviously, these are people who don't ride, right?

Some of us who aren't kids anymore still feel young- and act that way as well (I keep trying to convince my wife that I'm just youthful, not juvenile.... :cool: )

·
24,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beyond "don't ride".....far beyond.
If I would have mentioned what I was going to do the next morning, they would have looked at me like I was from Mars.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Beyond "don't ride".....far beyond.
If I would have mentioned what I was going to do the next morning, they would have looked at me like I was from Mars.
i'm 35 and get that look sometimes from people around my age. lazy a$$es

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
It's scary gettin' old, and when you're with other people who are noticing the same aches/pains, you want to discuss it. Complaining about the stuff that *shouldn't* be a problem yet, yeah that's no fun to hear.

What's so great about people "acting young"? If 50 is the new 40, that means 20 is the new 10. I can only take so much of the twentysomethings I work with.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
ClassicSteel71 said:
I worked on the floor of the NYSE for 20 years. People always asked why those guys and gals never grew up.. Guess it's who you hang with..
i'm on the CBOE. it's like being in 6th grade.

·
Banned
952 Posts
tomk96 said:
i'm on the CBOE. it's like being in 6th grade.
Give um credit. 10th grade..

I remeber my dad's retirement party a few years back. Nothing like hearing one 60 year old asking another if they want a blast of coke...I was glad when he declined...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I went to a B-day party last Saturday and noticed that almost everyone there acted old. The few people there, in their 60's looked (and acted) like they were ready to get planted. People in their 50's were almost as bad. Many of them walked "funny", and complained about their aches and pains. The 40 somethings sat around sucking up beers and talked about when they were "young", and the 30 year olds were starting to show their gut and talk about all the great stupid TV shows that they watch.
I guess that that's just the way it is with your normal made in America Americans.
It was so depressing. I couldn't wait to leave.

Why do people change? Are they just tired of living?
Shouldn't your name be 'Kid Grumpy'?

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
tomk96 said:
i'm 35 and get that look sometimes from people around my age. lazy a$$es
Ditto! I try to guilt them into "movement." I love mentioning my refusal to be a passenger in life.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
You know it's bad when the afternoon conversation revolves around the details of the daily meals and medications.

I am just happy my family stays young. My grandmother was clipping newspapers and writing political commentary until the very end at 90. My grandfather, at 97, finally had to quit taking the bus into the city to pick up hardware. One reason I believe in fitness is so that I don't get old and spend 30 years sick and dying in misery. I know I could live to be 100 (genes)... and I want to do it in style.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
You'll find out soon enough, punk....

OldEndicottHiway said:
I think when a bunch of old people are around together, they do talk and act "old". I believe this is mostly because they all have something in common. THEY'RE ALL OLD.
A lot of times they act like they have aches and pains because they have aches and pains. And when you look at some fatass 48-year-old breathing hard from going to the fridge, it's easy to blame them for being lazy. I used to do it myself.
When I was 45, I was faster on a bike and running than I'd been at 25. I ran my fastest half-marathon at 48 and rode my fastest century at 52, after my kids were old enough that I had time to train. I'm 64 now, and quite a bit slower, partly because I don't push as hard but mostly because I'm OLD.
Time catches up with you. My knees hurt whenever I think of it, and in the mornings it takes my ankles 15 or 20 minutes to wake up and start bending. On the bike, I can still hold a decent pace but can't sprint. If I sit down for a few minutes at a party, especially after an active day, my joints seize up and I sound like a creaky old man when I try to walk.
You know what's cool, though? Last Saturday i went for a 60-mile ride with some friends, all 55 or older, and at one point we came to a NO TRESPASSING sign where they're building a new subdivision across one of our longtime routes. The five of us crawled under the fence, waded through a knee-deep stream carrying our bikes, scrambled up a bank and rode on. The owner apparently called the cops, because after a mile or two a sheriff sirened us over. He asked if we'd gone across the field, and we looked innocent. he checked us over, all of us gray-haired and weatherbeaten, and apologized.
"Have you seen a group of kids riding out here?" he said.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Cory said:
You know what's cool, though? Last Saturday i went for a 60-mile ride with some friends, all 55 or older, and at one point we came to a NO TRESPASSING sign where they're building a new subdivision across one of our longtime routes. The five of us crawled under the fence, waded through a knee-deep stream carrying our bikes, scrambled up a bank and rode on. The owner apparently called the cops, because after a mile or two a sheriff sirened us over. He asked if we'd gone across the field, and we looked innocent. he checked us over, all of us gray-haired and weatherbeaten, and apologized.
"Have you seen a group of kids riding out here?" he said.

That is cool. Reminscent of the Space Cowboys...but on bikes.

Good for you!

:p

1 - 20 of 52 Posts