Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just one little thing that is bothering me a bit; why do people refer to the Roubaix as a comfort bike and if you want to race the Tarmac is a better option?

IMO a comfort bike will be a city Hybrid or something similar, the Roubaix is a race worthy bike!

There are actually pro-peleton riders that prefer the Roubaix above the Tarmac and I doubt that they will ride a bike that will hinder their ability to perform well or be competitive. Personally I think that the Roubaix can be made just as aero as the Tarmac by removing a spacer or two...

I know there is subtle difference in the geometry between the two, I have felt both and the difference is not that big. We are not all pro racers and even for a Recreational racer like my self I would much rather be that little bit more comfy 90km into the race and still be able to push hard than having a sore back, but and neck distracting me near the end.

I am currently looking at the Tarmac Pro and Roubaix Pro framesets; it would be great to hear your point of view on this...:confused:

Cheers

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
The Roubaix has a relatively tall head tube and short top tube that provides a slightly more upright position. I have a Litespeed Veneto with a similar design. I have found this design is significantly more comfortable, especially over longer rides.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Road_Goat said:
Hi guys,

Just one little thing that is bothering me a bit; why do people refer to the Roubaix as a comfort bike and if you want to race the Tarmac is a better option?

IMO a comfort bike will be a city Hybrid or something similar, the Roubaix is a race worthy bike!

There are actually pro-peleton riders that prefer the Roubaix above the Tarmac and I doubt that they will ride a bike that will hinder their ability to perform well or be competitive. Personally I think that the Roubaix can be made just as aero as the Tarmac by removing a spacer or two...

I know there is subtle difference in the geometry between the two, I have felt both and the difference is not that big. We are not all pro racers and even for a Recreational racer like my self I would much rather be that little bit more comfy 90km into the race and still be able to push hard than having a sore back, but and neck distracting me near the end.

I am currently looking at the Tarmac Pro and Roubaix Pro framesets; it would be great to hear your point of view on this...:confused:

Cheers
If you are Recreational Racer then you know that most of the races available to you in the USA are small circuit crits. For amatuer racing in the USA most would prefer a small wheelbase, twitchy bike for the tight and crowded corners in small circuit crits found so frequently on regional race calendars. So that's why the Tarmac gets called a race bike, it fits the mission of the majority of races to be found in the USA. Where I live you can find a half dozen "true" road races a season within an hours drive, you can find a crit almost every weekend within bike riding distance.

That you closed your post with "cheers" makes me think that perhaps you are not in the USA.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Little hint you can check people's profiles. ;)

"From:
South Africa"

Interesting point though as I often wondered the same about comments on the Roubaix as crits aren't really my thing and I see the Roubaix being great for longer road races but the problem is there is hardly any of those in Texas. What longer rides there is available are mainly charity rides and well we all know the stories about charity rides with you having to just treat them as something fun and can't ride seriously in them.

Hence now I can see why people say the Roubaix isn't the best for "racing" as they mean it isn't the best for crits, which it isn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aahhh... That makes sense. Here in SA we have quite a few long distance races and not that many crits. So it would make sense for me to rather go with the Roubaix. I was confused with the whole 'comfort' issue as there are members in the Gerolsteiner team that have chosen the Roubaix as their race steed.

So in short:

Tarmac = Quick steering for short tight tracks (but can do longer races also)
Roubaix = more relaxed steering for longer races and endurance events.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Road_Goat said:
Aahhh... That makes sense. Here in SA we have quite a few long distance races and not that many crits. So it would make sense for me to rather go with the Roubaix. I was confused with the whole 'comfort' issue as there are members in the Gerolsteiner team that have chosen the Roubaix as their race steed.

So in short:

Tarmac = Quick steering for short tight tracks (but can do longer races also)
Roubaix = more relaxed steering for longer races and endurance events.

Thanks for the help guys!
There are plenty of Roubaix's putting the smack down in crits too. It just depends on if you like quicker or slower steering and stretched out or slightly less stretched out positioning.
Lou.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.