Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like alot of drama posts come from riders who ride with other riders?
Is there an advantage to riding in groups, from what I've experienced, there is not really that much conversation or comradere going on. Can make it tougher for cars to get by on small roads and groups seem to spread out and block road and intersections at stop signs creating an unsafe situation for all........but I'm sure there are reason or everyone wouldn't be doing it, right?

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Why do people live in groups? There seems to be a lot of drama that goes on in homes and neighborhoods.

Why do people work in groups? There seems to be a lot of drama that happens at work.

Etc.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
1.) If not for the abuse I would take from my group, I would not drag my but out of bed at 4:40 every MWF to get on the bike and ride. Peer pressure can be good.

2.) The group almost always makes me ride harder than I would on my own. We have a good sadistic group. :)

3.) Riding with 6-10 people is safer in my opinion. It is more likely you will be seen by cars.

4.) For those that race it helps to get used to riding in close quarters with others.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
No matter how hard you try and push yourself riding alone you will never get the same benefit as you will from a hard group ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
bike_guy said:
No matter how hard you try and push yourself riding alone you will never get the same benefit as you will from a hard group ride.
This.

I've never rode in massive 10-15 rider groups, but I find it's A LOT easier to go further/harder with a group of people than by yourself.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Because it's hard to brag about all the cool new "pro" gear you bought when you ride alone.

And many of the reasons already brought up. Also, a group ride often will go on roads you have never gone on, so you learn all sorts of new routes without the experience of getting lost.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,752 Posts
Mike Prince said:
Because it's hard to brag about all the cool new "pro" gear you bought when you ride alone.

+1

How can you be a true Posuer if can't pose in front of a group of other riders :)

That jogger or guy walking his dog just won't appreciate all that disposal income you spent to look like pro with a beer gut.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
To the OP:

I find zero drama on my group rides. We don't block the road. There is some conversation when we're not drilling it.

It sounds to me that you need to find some better group rides.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
I've experienced two kinds of groups. I used to ride with my 3 best friends. We knew each other, trusted each other, and dished out the optimum level of physical and verbal abuse. There is no better cycling experience.

I've also gone on group rides with 15-20 people where I didn't really know anyone very well. There's always seems to be a few squirrels who are a spasm away from taking down 5 or 10 riders, and there always seems to be a few @ssholes who block traffic and get the drivers angry. That sucks.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,276 Posts
I can only ride so much solo. After a while, I can't stand the company.

Weeknight 2-3 hour group rides where we max each group around 10, there is a surprising amount of conversation. More while we're all warming up. Less in the last 1/4 of the ride when the pace quickens.

On weekend 4-6 hour rides with the two neighbors, no drama. One is a bit squirlley on his line, but sits more upright, so a better draft. Is that drama?

(ok, I'm actually the quietest one in the group usually...but when I chose to listen in on the conversation, it does help the miles pass by)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
depends on who you're training with and how fast you are compared to them

if you're the fast guy in the bunch, group work is lazy social hour, if you're the slow guy you're going to get a better workout because you're trying to keep up

if someone's trying to build strength and get faster, I don't see why they'd need to make things easier by drafting with people... training is supposed to be hard

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Our group left this morning riding into an 18 mph headwind. Somewhat typical of our wind year round. Having a few buddies to trade pulls with makes it tolerable.
The weaker riders can draft all they want. And if they're cute, I'll make sure they don't get dropped. Unless they call me "sir". :)

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
Great example: I just got back from a 120km ride @ 40km/h, no way I could have done that alone. But with four other people it was just barely doable (to top it all off, I am not in great shape at the moment, that was my longest and hardest ride this summer).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
brucew said:
Why do people live in groups? There seems to be a lot of drama that goes on in homes and neighborhoods.

Why do people work in groups? There seems to be a lot of drama that happens at work.

Etc.
LOL! Best post of the thread so far. :lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
1nf0s3c said:
This.

I've never rode in massive 10-15 rider groups, but I find it's A LOT easier to go further/harder with a group of people than by yourself.
I guess "massive" is relative. It's unusual in SoCal to have a club group ride be less than 20 people, with some of the more popular groups having 50+ riders for just the A or B group.

Riding with 3 or 4 other people is fast, but the speeds you see on your computer with a large group like 50+ people are kinda ridiculous. You'll be cruising along at 27 or 28mph and not even need to open your mouth to breathe.

Then the attacks start.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts