Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it because mountain bikers have more to gain by dropping weight since they're always climbing and descending (varying terrain)?

I notice the mtbr weight weenie subforum is much more active than this one.

· More carbon fiber please!
797 Posts
:wink: But not everyone on RBR falls into the 'cares less' catagory. I've done a reasonable job of building a light road bike with parts that won't fail. Same with the mtb. But you're right it seems... more mtb folks are weight weenies it seems.

· Registered
9 Posts
I am a roadie and used to be quite particular about bike weight. I bought some pretty light stuffs (e.g. Selle Italia Teknologika saddle, Ritchey Carbon Evolution handlebar, etc.). Costs a lot of $$$.

However, after riding more, I am convinced that those weight weenie stuffs dont make me better. My mate riding a steel Colnago is faster than me in most rides. Plus for long rides, adding two water bottles will easily add more than 1kg to my bike.

Anyway, I still prefer to have light bike :)

· Get me to In&Out
5,419 Posts
If you aren't careful on a roadbike with weight, your bike will be in the 18-20 pound range. If you aren't careful on a MTB, your bike will be 27 pounds plus very easily. It is easier to get way out of hand on a Mountain bike. I also think it is more of a challenge to go WW on a MTB and still find it durable enough to trust. On a road bike, light is usually fairly safe. More to talk about I guess is the point here.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
My opinion is that weight weenism and mtn biking are odd bedfellows. It is almost certain that everyone will eventually crash on a mtn bike, if they really ride it off-road. Last thing I want is a fragile (and expensive) mtn bike. I have broken all sorts of parts mountain biking.

A friend purchased a carbon mtn bike--- the frame is actually heavier than his old aluminum bike.

I would not want ultra-light brakes on a mtn bike, either. Hydraulic discs are the way to go--- would happily pay the weight penalty.

· Registered
121 Posts
One huge reason is that a weight on a road bike only mattter accelerating and climbing. Otherwise , according to physics, it doesn't matter at all.

On a mtn bike, you are moving the bike much more than a road bike, the lighter the bike is, the better it responds to your movements.

And yes, on a mtn bike I would definatly sacrifice weight on brakes and forks etc, but also you can save tons of weight were you can.

For reference, my road bike is 18.5lbs ready to ride, no bottles, lowish end with 105, carbon frame., my mtn bike is 19.8, high end spec, carbon everything.

Also, idk if its just me, but it is much easier to gain weight on a mtn bike. 1900gram wheels with a 4.5 lb fork a 7 pound frame, 700gram tires, sh## adds up fast. And none of that stuff is terrible heavy or light.

· Custom User Title
760 Posts
It could be that road bikes already seem light. Coming from the mtb world, and being somewhat of a WW, I was impressed to find a plethora of road bikes under 20lbs for very cheap. Now, 20lbs for a road bike is probably considered mildly heavy, but for the money, you can buy an already light road bike, whereas a mtb will cost much more to get sub-20lbs.

· Registered
384 Posts
I feel like the most extreme, radical weenie-ism is practiced by road cyclists building up project bikes.

The UCI 6.7 Kg rule makes weight-weenie-ism less of an issue for professionals, since stock bikes with high-end specs often have to have weight added to make the cut.

I don't know what the rules are for professional mtbers.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
565 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
my mtb (hardtail) is a 25 lbs, and my road bike is a 18lbs with pedals and cages.

Which of these two bikes seems more overweight?
I'd have to say your mtb by a fair margin. my 5.5 inch travel mtb weighs 26.4 lbs, while my fairly new Waterford road bike is heavier than yours...

Id say an 18lb road bike is respectable, where a 25 lb hardtail is pretty portly.

· More carbon fiber please!
797 Posts
There are still huge weight drops in many road bikes to be found. It wasn't too difficult to drop my TCR down to right at 15 even while still using a heavy saddle and Ultegra parts. My full-suspension mtb on the other hand to get into the sub-21 lb mode was a bit more of a challenge monetarily at least.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JChasse said:
I'd have to say your mtb by a fair margin. my 5.5 inch travel mtb weighs 26.4 lbs, while my fairly new Waterford road bike is heavier than yours...

Id say an 18lb road bike is respectable, where a 25 lb hardtail is pretty portly.
you're right, my mtb only cost me $1300 though, as opposed to my $2400 road bike. i bet i can drop 1.5-2lbs off my mtb with $1100. but i'm not going to, lol.

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Weight Schmeight . . . You have to look at the total package . . . Bicycle + You + Your Gear. 18 + 165 + 5? = 188 Lbs. even if I lost 5lbs. that's still only 3%. What's 3% of your weight going to do for you in the long run? Then you have to think about how the pace is dictated. If you on the road your in a pace line, and there are some places on the trail that you are limited to how fast you can go. Things to think about.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.