Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an obsessed bike rider. Have ridden all my life and have no less than 10 bikes in the garage from a Moots titanium mtb to my $8k Look TT Bike. That said of course my favorite and thus daily ride is my 1974 Peugeot PX-10 Fixie. I use it for a daily commute to the office in the burbs about 24 miles roundtrip.

So today I am cruising back at my normal clip and see about a 1/4 mile up the road a cyclist. So I crank it up in an effort to catch him for nothing more than it is fun to chase and to say hi, shoot the ****, etc.. So its not too hard to catch him and I reach him in about 3 minutes. He gives me this look like "what the **** are you riding next to me for"? As if he might be seen with this guy riding this junky fixie who is not wearing spandex and is caring some type of pack (my messenger bag which fits my laptop perfectly). So as not to "embarass" him further I simply put the hammer down and pull away, turning at the next light and to no suprise he goes straight.

So long story short, does everyone else who rides a fixie have similar stories of roadies with attitudes? To me a bike is a bike is a bike and we are all one big family with the common enemy (SUV's and ignorant drivers). Am I just to ideaological?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
madequity said:
I am an obsessed bike rider. Have ridden all my life and have no less than 10 bikes in the garage from a Moots titanium mtb to my $8k Look TT Bike. That said of course my favorite and thus daily ride is my 1974 Peugeot PX-10 Fixie. I use it for a daily commute to the office in the burbs about 24 miles roundtrip.

So today I am cruising back at my normal clip and see about a 1/4 mile up the road a cyclist. So I crank it up in an effort to catch him for nothing more than it is fun to chase and to say hi, shoot the ****, etc.. So its not too hard to catch him and I reach him in about 3 minutes. He gives me this look like "what the **** are you riding next to me for"? As if he might be seen with this guy riding this junky fixie who is not wearing spandex and is caring some type of pack (my messenger bag which fits my laptop perfectly). So as not to "embarass" him further I simply put the hammer down and pull away, turning at the next light and to no suprise he goes straight.

So long story short, does everyone else who rides a fixie have similar stories of roadies with attitudes? To me a bike is a bike is a bike and we are all one big family with the common enemy (SUV's and ignorant drivers). Am I just to ideaological?
So you pull up next to a guy, don't say a word, "...put the hammer down and pull away,..." and then he goes straight at an intersection. And this makes you post on a forum that you think HE has an attitude problem??? - TF

·
Registered
125 Posts
I experience the exact opposite. I commute to work daily on my CX bike with fenders, helmet and generic messenger bag. The only folks I see fixed around here are messengers. I will give them a nod or a quick wave and they are never returned. I guess the fact that I wear a helmet and obey the traffic laws don't make me cool enough to fit into their "group"

After recognizing this for the last 2 months I have stopped the nods and waves.

Maybe the guy you saw on your ride today has had a similar experience I have and has put you into that group.

Then again, maybe he was just a jerk. If you see me out on the rode, pull up, give me a kind word I would be happy to chat it up with you for a while.

·
Registered
120 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
So you pull up next to a guy, don't say a word, "...put the hammer down and pull away,..." and then he goes straight at an intersection. And this makes you post on a forum that you think HE has an attitude problem??? - TF
I was thinking the same thing, nicely done.

As far as coming upon other riders...I just say "hi" and continue doing my own thing.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
I dono man, but when I'm out riding, and someone on any bike just started riding next to me, I would think that it was a little strange. I guess I'm a ******* though.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I ride fixed to work and school, and every time I pass another commuter and nod or give a little wave, it's always returned, regardless of what they are riding. I've been riding on a really popular trail with my friend before while he had his fixed, and I wasn't, and half the people who passed gave him compliments on it.

Maybe it's being in Orange County, CA, where I've seen probably 5 other people on fixies, and we're more of an oddity than a nuisance.

joe

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Whatever...

Some times I ride fixed, some times I do not.
Some times I wave at people, sometimes I do not.
Some times I wear lycra, some times I do not.
Some times I throw a little attitude, some times I do not.
Some times I've had a bad day, other times I did not.
Some times I stop at stop signs, some times I do not.
Some times I ride my bike to work, some times I do not.

Some times I drink and post, other times I do not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's not always about you

Actually, I'm amazed sometimes about the interaction between bike riders in general. I generally say hello (or nod) to everybody; it's only common courtesy, especially to my fellow riders who are out there risking death in traffic with me (to be a little melodramatic).

When I'm on any of my bikes, I often see people ride right now by with a word--roadie, fixie, it doesn't seem to matter. I guess it's a coolness thing. I don't let it bother me (too much) unless they do the pass without 1 foot without a word --then we do have words.

But as for roadie vs. fixie, I don't see any difference in how people treat me. In general, people seem to be more respectful when you're keeping up with the paceline with a fixie.

Don't let other people control your emotions.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Some roadies have attitude issues. Some fixie riders have attitude issues (for me, carving the world into us-vs-them over brakes or pants seems like a strange religion, but that's just me). And there are good folks everywhere too. I'd just ride and fuhgettaboutit.

FWIW, I rode my fixie to a pro race in Virginia a few weeks back (the CSC Classic). Jeans and mtb shoes. Roadies were everywhere. I have never, and I mean never, heard so many compliments on my ride. I mean, you woulda thought I was walking Charlize Theron around the course or something. It got a little embarassing, and I have a pretty high threshold for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have met people of all stripes on all kinds of bikes with all kinds of attitudes, agendas, and ideologies. Attempts to categorize and define people serves only one purpose: to make false generalizations easier. Yes, sometimes people have attitudes. But let's not let the actions of a few define all others who might only have a type of bicycle in common.

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
70% fixie attitude, 30% roadie

Around these city parts, its the fixie riders that have the attitude. Since there are limited places where you can safely ride, everyone knows each other....every is friendly in one way or another. But of course, every college kid on his new fixie and every grizzled veteran on a rusted out s**tbox act like they are above the rest of us.

Its simply demonstrated by first passing a group of roadies, and then passing anyone on a fixed gear and seeing the difference in the reactions.

Just like in the OP's post, alot of people act like some how people who haven't figured it out yet are still loafing around town with their gears and their brakes (etc,etc.) while the more cool and enlightened folks got it all straight the day they fished an old peugot out of the dumpster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Around here I'm usually too busy trying to avoid that oncoming bus/taxi/dog/small child/old man standing in the middle of second avenue (that one happened today) to pay much attention to other riders, let alone notice what their bike is like...However, I certainly nod at other fixie riders on the bridge...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I called you fixie a bunch of animals

madequity said:

read these posts http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62815

I have nothing but admiration for you fixies. Though I was giving a compliment at the link above, I still got shot down. I still think fixies are awesome riders even when I haven't even tried it. I may try to convert my old cannondale to either a single speed or fix. If it's even possible. Here in Denver, fixie are nice to me as I am to them. Keep on riding!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Nope.

Some people are more outgoing than others. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of bike I ride. Even caught the local team once. They were clearly loafing at the end of a ride or I wouldn't have caught them. When I stood up to slow down, they asked about riding fixed and a few told me about their fixies. It was a very pleasant few miles on an early spring ride.

It's beginning to look to me like there is a reverse snobbery projecting itself onto unsuspecting road riders with nice bikes and clothes.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
?????

A lot of roadies I know also ride fixies. (Me included.) Seems to me that if some stanger came up to me and I was a;
a) having a bad day
b) not wanting any company
c) a$$hole
I'd have done the same. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.