Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I hear the same "the roads are melting" comments on the TdF Vs. coverage. I think this year I even heard Paul or Phil mention that even though it was 79 degrees out, the roads were still melting somewhere out on the day's course. WTF?

I have been riding and racing in Phoenix and Tucson for 20 years and melting roads have never been a problem. What the hell is up with Euro roads?

·
Registered
252 Posts
When i used to live in canada, they had the same problem. I would *guess* that it has something to do with the mixture they use in their road asphalt surfaces, as their winters are harsher given that their winter temps are far below what you would experience in Arizona. Imagine the road being completely covered with snow for 3-4 months solid. Then throw in 2 months of freeze thaw, rain, sleet, some melting snow, littered between some fairly warm spring weather. They are having to deal with that kind of temp as well as the 80-100F summer weather. The road surface is just softer to account for the vast temp differences.

·
Registered
61 Posts
chip and seal?

i experienced it the pyrennes.. think of it as a mixture of tar/asphalt with small rocks and pebbles..as it heats up the aspahalt becomes like salt water taffy..its seems common to repair the roads with this mixture so its more the repaired areas than the whole road surface.

G

·
Tschai said:
Every year I hear the same "the roads are melting" comments on the TdF Vs. coverage. I think this year I even heard Paul or Phil mention that even though it was 79 degrees out, the roads were still melting somewhere out on the day's course. WTF?

I have been riding and racing in Phoenix and Tucson for 20 years and melting roads have never been a problem. What the hell is up with Euro roads?
I can feel the Softness in the roads in Fountain Hills, and I can feel the movement in the patch strips when I go over them on my bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.