Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly for riders who have been cycling for many years and have had several different bikes in different price ranges.

I wonder why someone (myself included) spends 3 or 4 times as much money for say, a carbon Cervelo as opposed to an aluminum Fuji if both have identical components and weigh about the same? There has to be a point/price of diminishing returns where the extra cost isn't buying more performance etc.

In my case, I bought because of what I've read or heard from others and/or how the bike looks. I've had several bikes in different price ranges and different materials and can't say I could tell much difference between them. But I'm not a racer or even a 5-10k a year rider.

If it were possible to ride a bike blindfolded, I wonder if one could tell much difference between the Cervelo and Fuji.

So I guess my question is can you really tell the difference in your high end bike and feel it is worth the extra money or have you bought it just because you can?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Just cause. I don't need to justify my purchases to anyone (other than my wife, and she understands - custom Ti Serotta that she rides).

·
Registered
524 Posts
No idea. But I know I have a problem. My bike cost twice as much as my last car. And I am not even a serious cyclist, haven't even rode since I was kid.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Why do people buy a Volvo rather than a Toyota Yaris? Or a Ferrari rather than a Mustang/Corvette? Because we have the money, want something that is fab to ride and because it makes us feel good when we ride it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wonder the same thing, luckily I don't have a lot of money to spend so I ride a bike that is quite a bit less expensive than most here. In the 60's when I started riding, bikes were not nearly as pricey compared to now. We did the same rides as people are doing today and had lots of fun while doing it. I guess most think to be cool you have to have the latest hot stuff so have at it if you can afford it, but it is possible to have fun and go fairly fast without going into debt.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
live to ride, ride to live

Because I LOVE to ride my bicycle! It makes me very, very happy! It's worth every penny! :thumbsup:

·
Batteries not required
1,035 Posts
Because any day now I could be dead.
Before that happens, I want to own the things that appeal to me the most, not the most practical things!
The pedals on my road bike cost more than my wifes entire Kona hard tail mountain bike!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A lot of this has to do with manufactures constantly tweaking something that doesn't need to be tweaked.

The upgrade explosion that is occuring in cycling and the money these companies are demanding for their product reminds me of the housing bubble that recently popped. People are spending far more for a product that pretty much works the same way it did twenty years ago...only it's a little lighter, little more comfy and a whole lot more blingy.

Ultimately cycling and endurance sports in general are the past times of those that tend to be in the higher income brackets. If you're earning $10K a month or more, and there are plenty of guys on this forum that do, then a $5K bike is nothing. If however you're earning the national average which is about $2400/month and you have bills to pay then you'll end up coming up short in some other aspect of your life.

I disagree with the last poster that mentioned that it makes a person happy to spend money. I would dare say that owning less is a far more rewarding path to follow in life. Those cultures that I consider more refined or spiritual seem to have a better grasp on what adds up to long term happiness and many of those people don't have a job or income in the sense of what we think about in the west.

The west and slowly the east that are adopting our ways are also starting to get some of our mental illnesses, the constant turbulant lifestyles, the never good enough, keeping up with those around you, and working yourself into an early grave for nothing.

For those that have a problem and I did have this very problem as I race and continue to do so, I got rid of my television a few months ago, disconnected from the internet and only use a computer at work. I no longer have to look at what wheelset cavendish is using or the latest greatest frames on the market. When I get a catologue in the mail I throw it in the trash without looking at it. It's freed me up, I just go out and train and ride and enjoy myself without having to think about upgrading to something that just empties my pockets and does nothing for my overall fitness.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The feel of the bike and the look made us spend this amount of money. I like carbon as it rides better on the road. I have madone 2010 5 series with aero wheels 50 mm. I used these wheels for racing and have other set for training.

My bike is hand made in US livestrong paint and I like it more day after day. I also has SRM powermeter Sram red and it is the most expensive one but I know that I am paying this amount of money as it is durable and trouble free.

You can still drive lexus but when you drive a german car it is totally a new feel, that is why we purchase expensive bikes.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The truth is the guy with the strongest legs wins the race. I've ridden with National Masters Champions that compete internationally and some of them have been on real clunkers during our training rides.

The sad fact is though they put a hurt on me like no one else while I was perched on a $5K bike and they were on a $1200 bike or even less.

It's the legs and only the legs that matter. All this other stuff about how the bike looks is sissy.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I used to ask that question, actually why would but now I understand. I enjoy riding, so I have a bike I enjoy. I could ride a Fuji with identical components, but I didn't have the same feeling about the Fuji as I did with my Cervelo, so I was willing to spend about $1,000 more. It wasn't just the ride, the sales experience also played into it as well. The store where I purchased my Cervelo spent hours with me on a variety of aspects (fitting, explaing the bike, components and other accesories), the store where I tested a Fuji said "this one fits OK".

I also contend that when you do an item by item comparison on most bikes, they are pretty close in rice range, meaning you get what you pay for. Example, last night I was in a bike shop and saw a nice GT with Ultegra FD and RD, but it had Tektro brakes, Nothing wrong with Tektro brakes but they are not the same cost wise as Ultegra brakes, so this GT that was $2,000 and compared to most $3,000 bikes, when you look at the brakes, the saddle, the handle bars, the seat post and the crank you would be very close to that $3,000 bike in price if you swapped all that out to match the components.

I have reached a point on my bike where I love everything from my speedplays, to my Cateye V2C computer, to my carbon cages, to my Giro Ionos Helmet, to my Sidi shoes and my Oakley sunglasses. I there, enjoying it and really don't want much more at this time. Nervanna.

·
Registered
308 Posts
heathb said:
The truth is the guy with the strongest legs wins the race. I've ridden with National Masters Champions that compete internationally and some of them have been on real clunkers during our training rides.

The sad fact is though they put a hurt on me like no one else while I was perched on a $5K bike and they were on a $1200 bike or even less.

It's the legs and only the legs that matter. All this other stuff about how the bike looks is sissy.

sure, they put a hurt on you, but what do the race on when they have to race against someone that is of their own ability. you didn't see anyone in the tour or any pro race for that mater on low end or old bikes. and its not just because of the sponsers, the bikes these days are faster.

we spend money on bike for the same reason people buy expensive jewlery or watches. we spend our money on what we like and that is all that needs to be said.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For me, it's a comfort issue. I can ride all day on my Roubaix, but when I go to my older bike or another from a shop (rented a bike this summer on vacation), I felt uncomfortable, rough ride, sore afterward. I could get an entry level Roubaix cheaper, but by the time you build it up with "identical components" it would end up as expensive with a lesser frame.

·
lonewolf
7 Posts
It is a hobby and a not very expensive hobby at that when compared to boating, airplanes, sports cars, exotic vacations or multiple life partners. Buying, selling and trading bicycle equipment, working on my bikes and riding are a source of entertainment for me. I have a few bikes but drive an old car and am frugal in most other areas of my life. If this hobby took time or money away from my family or job, it would be a problem. If having a nice bicycle gets you outdoors and riding, then it improves your health and longevity. Rather than be critical of others I seek balance in my own life.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
why spend money on anything that's not needed for bare survival?

it's called self-gratification. we exercise it on every discretionary purchase.

you don't need a bike to simply exist. why buy one at any price? once you justify owning one, then the cost is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
dasho said:
Why do we spend so much money for a bicycle?
Reminds me of the old joke...

Q: Why is a divorce so expensive?
A: Because it's worth it!

:)

1 - 20 of 218 Posts