Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Why do you cycle?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about the reason women cycle. Please answer this poll and if the reason is not one of the options feel free to post the reason.
Thanks

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I enjoy it, although I don't think I'd say it's my 'chosen' (only) sport as I also like swimming and the simplicity of running quite a bit.

Certainly like the social aspect, but I ride by myself often.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
There's probably as many reasons as there are cyclists. I cycle because running sucks

·
Registered
147 Posts
For many reasons:
- To get to/from work
- Exercise:
---- As someone else noted, running sux.
---- I get to eat way too much and still burn it off! :blush2:
- Socialization (club rides with friends)
- Quality time with the hub :thumbsup:
- Some racing (mostly tri's as part of a relay team)
- To see new places and try new things:
---- Touring
---- Mountain biking
---- Aforementioned tri's

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me it seemed that there were more men into road cycling than women.
When I look at magazines and online boards about running there seems to be women equally represented. With cycling I just did not get that feeling, maybe that is not true.

I just wondered if it really was lopsided. So I started to wonder why women cycle. Was there any trend or thread?
I have to say that at all the organized rides I have attended there has been a good number of women in attendance.

·
botanical guru
213 Posts
FluffyWhiteDogs said:
To me it seemed that there were more men into road cycling than women.
When I look at magazines and online boards about running there seems to be women equally represented. With cycling I just did not get that feeling, maybe that is not true.

I just wondered if it really was lopsided. So I started to wonder why women cycle. Was there any trend or thread?
I have to say that at all the organized rides I have attended there has been a good number of women in attendance.

I think it largely has to do with what you mentioned about women being equally represented in cycling. I have never seen women's racing on TV(esp. Vs.) unless it was a snippett in between the TdF, when the station was highlightling a popular men's team. The media isn't all over women's cycling as it is men's, either. I did however open the last issue of Bicycling and there was a 6 pg(?) story about Evie Stevens. Great story and it was nice to read such a long article about a women cyclist. Women's coverage is growing, but cycling isn't just as popular in the states as it is in Europe, period. With that said, it's easy to see why women's specific coverage is so sparse.

In many of our club rides, there are an equal amount of women riders that go out. Half the time there are actually more women than men riding on a given day.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
gardenrunner said:
In many of our club rides, there are an equal amount of women riders that go out. Half the time there are actually more women than men riding on a given day.
Wow, that's fantastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
None of the reasons in the poll apply to me. I ride because it connects me to the world around me and makes me feel alive! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
FluffyWhiteDogs said:
Catrin, sorry that reason had not occurred to me.
No reason to apologize, just making the point that women have as many reasons to bike that men do - and I doubt it possible to make a truly representative list of reasons why any person chooses to ride, regardless of gender :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts