• I have no idea why, I just like it

Votes: 52 38.2%
  • I look good in tight cycling bibs and jersey

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I'm a gadget guy and like having the latest and greatest cool parts

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Bicycling helps me cross train for another sport

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I'm getting up there in years and my body can't take the pounding of other sports

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I have a health issue and cycling keeps it in check

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I enjoy the activity with my family

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I enjoy the social experience with others

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I'm competitive and like to race

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 30 22.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Would have voted for "don't know why, just like it" but that didn't perfectly cover it. I guess I just never completely outgrew that thrill of getting to go somewhere under my own power, what began as the first experience of big-time independence as a child and later became the perfect compromise between the intimate view of the world afforded by walking and the speed of driving. I want--no, I need--to go places and see things. Spent yesterday afternoon riding up the coast from Ventura to Rincon and back, and then poked around the downtown area near the mission; stumbled across a few murals I hadn't seen before, watched a guy on the pier landing a small shark, talked to a couple while admiring their Australian shepherd, helped some teenage girls get one of those pedal surrey cars unstuck from the beach, did a loop through the riverside wilderness area and just enjoyed the physical perfection of cycling.

Why does anyone not ride?

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Sanity. Fun. Keeps me in shape. Competition with myself and others. It's a kind of church and meditation. For peace, quiet and reflection. To look for answers to stuff in my head, and to clean out my brain of crap it collects. Plenty of reasons.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
To see parts of the world you can never see behind the wheel of a car or from a highway.

Plus the ability to lose myself in the moment and the ride.

·
Registered
239 Posts
With apologies to whomever said it...

garvan said:
What is the primary reason you ride a bicycle vs. any other activity, sports related that is ;-) ?
"When I am on my bicycle, the world is breaking someone else's heart."

However, bicycling remains only two dimensional no matter how often the endorfins kick in. Flying my airplane is three dimensional no matter how many hot air balloons and parachutists I have to dodge (or vice versa).

And, I have to go outdoors and dodge traffic on my bicycle; and, I have to go to the airport of fly the plane; but, I can walk across the den in the house, pick up the saxophone, and get lost in everything from Rodgers & Hart to Beethoven.

My bicycle; my airplane; my saxophone: I need all three.

·
Registered
453 Posts
To chill/stay in some bit of shape

Ok, this one's twofold. Firstly, I get out and ride to forget my troubles and enjoy myself. When I got started with road biking there was a whole lot of crap goin on in my life in general (all small stuff, but lots of it all at once) and I got out to ride so I wouldn't have to think about it. It really helped keep me sane and in balance during that time.

Secondly, I'd like to be in shape for a good portion of my life. My dad was about my size when he was in college and now he's at what could be described as "a borderline dangerous weight". I love my dad very much, but I don't want to turn out like that, and cycling helps keep me in a physical state that I find acceptable to myself.

Also, though less importantly, the shorts are crazy sexy, or so I've been told.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
#1: It's fun.

Secondary reasons: Fitness, it's something fun that I can do with the kids, and I save on car/motorcycle operating expenses because I run most errands on the bike.

I live in a relatively small, flat town with mellow weather, and I can get pretty much anywhere I need to go in <10 minutes on the bicycle. Frankly I don't know why more people don't do it, but the reality is that when it comes to bike commuting it's just me and the tweakers out there :confused:

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Lotta good answers here...I have to echo most of them...I just love it.....always have...hopefully always will...It also Pi$$e$ other people off for some reason I guess it makes them look lazy...no...wait it isn't ME that makes them look lazy.....................

·
Michigoose
821 Posts
Route 66 Domestiques said:
"When I am on my bicycle, the world is breaking someone else's heart."

However, bicycling remains only two dimensional no matter how often the endorfins kick in. Flying my airplane is three dimensional no matter how many hot air balloons and parachutists I have to dodge (or vice versa).

And, I have to go outdoors and dodge traffic on my bicycle; and, I have to go to the airport of fly the plane; but, I can walk across the den in the house, pick up the saxophone, and get lost in everything from Rodgers & Hart to Beethoven.

My bicycle; my airplane; my saxophone: I need all three.
I hear you...I never get so lost in anything as when I'm sitting outside playing my guitar. Cycling/running do it for me too, but not to the extent that music does.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
For me also, there are so many reasons why I do it it would take a thesis.

I also play guitar/bass/keys and drums and the music is almost like the
other side of the coin of the cycling experience.

That's just the way it is. I ride because I'll go nuts if I don't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.