Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know if this is acceptable, or if there is an issue here. Wheelset is a near new DA/OP 32 hole. Rear hub is the 7850. From the get go, the rear hub would make an oscillating (on for half a revolution, off for the other half) ratcheting noise during freewheel. It's the standard pawl-clicking ratchet, but it's loud for about half the revolution and then relatively quiet the other half. I used the Freehub Buddy on it, and it silenced the hub down to near zero noise...was awesome. That lasted about 50 miles, and now it's back. What's the deal here.

In comparison, I have a 6600/OP wheelset, and the Ultegra rear hub makes a consistent clicking, no undulating, sin wave sort of on/off noise. The place where I bought them said they'll refund my money if there is indeed a defect with the wheels. If they determine that there is no defect, then they'll still take 'em back, minus some %'age. Also, if there is nothing wrong with them, I don't want to send back anyway.

What say you esteemed members of the forum?

·
Registered
113 Posts
don't worry about it.

I've got the same noise on some DT swiss hubs which has a completely different mechanism. It is likely just a result of the slight rim imbalance that results from where the rim is joined/ pinned/ welded

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Lube

filly said:
From the get go, the rear hub would make an oscillating (on for half a revolution, off for the other half) ratcheting noise during freewheel. It's the standard pawl-clicking ratchet, but it's loud for about half the revolution and then relatively quiet the other half. I used the Freehub Buddy on it, and it silenced the hub down to near zero noise...was awesome. That lasted about 50 miles, and now it's back. What's the deal here.
It's about the lube. I assume you used grease in the Freehub Buddy? It's ptretty easy to open these hubs up and get at the pawls. Personally, I use a light grease and then add some 20W oil to make a durable but not-too-thick lube. 90w gear lube will work as well. I'm guessing the grease from your Freehub Buddy didn't get to all the right places and was pushed back out after a few miles.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the "soup" that paul morningstar provides for the buddy. It's a light grease. Not sure why I even need to do this in the first place since it's a new hub. I will probably also try with the old standby...outboard motor lower unit oil. Got some left over from when I owned a boat.

·
Registered
491 Posts
it's a new dura ace hub, ride it and it will be fine.
For the record I have a 7403 dura ace rear hub that makes the same freehub noise you are describing, it has done it since I have owned it (about 15000 miles) and it probably sounded that way before, my guess is that there is over 20000 miles on the hub. The insides look like jewels and they are smooth as butter.

Best damn hub shimano ever made.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update...used the freehub buddy this weekend with the outboard motor gear oil. will ride the wheels this evening, but upon initial spinning on the workstand, the ratcheting is now uniform but a good bit louder. that's to be expected, though, since this gear oil is much thinner than even the thin grease i originally put in there. we'll see if the uniformity holds up over a few miles. if not, so what...i'm done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts