Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have had a history of knee problems with my left knee. I crashed in a mtb race about 12 years ago and it has never been the same since...I think. I had surgery earlier this year and had a couple of tears fixed (minor) as well as a medial plica removal. My knee has been better since and I'm able to ride pretty much as often as I like.

BUT, here's the deal:

I first bought a pair of high end Sidi shoes, the Specialized BG insoles that I use in my mtb shoes, and a set of Look KEO pedals with red cleats. This combo killed my knee. I could not even ride around the block without it killing me and popping, aching, and slight swelling. So, I tried a set of the Speedplay Light Action pedals and got the same thing. Thinking that it had to be the shoes, I tried a set of Specialized Pro Carbon shoes. I got the same knee pain within a few blocks that would linger for several days even.

Then, I bought some new mtb shoes, a pair of Lake MX-190's. I decided to put my Crank Bros Candy mtb pedals on my road bike one day, so that I could ride with the Lake shoes. Absolutely zero knee pain whatsoever. Ziltch, nada, etc... I might add that the Lakes are by far the most comfortable bike shoes I have ever put on my feet. The Sidis and Spec'y are comfoy too though.

I am not complaining because I am now able to put 150-200 mile a week on my "bunk" knee without any real issues. (I'm still doing lots of stretches and PT stuff.) What is it about the Lake shoes and the Candies that is so good? The Speedplays have more float and I had pain with the Sidi and Spec'y shoes? Is is the pedals only? Is it the shoes? Is the Crank Bros pedal/Lake shoes a "magic" combo for me?

Oh, and I had a pro fitting for the pedal placement on each shoe, so that cannot be it. My position on the bike was not changed either. I measured from the top of the saddle to the base of the pedal and adjusted the seatpost accordingly.

I'm not complaining, but I'd like to figure out what is going on here. Anyone have a similar thing happen to them?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have had a few knee surgeries and have found shoes and or pedals not to have direct comfort issues with the knee but more of the foot. I know that if I get off my glucosimine for a week, I will feel it. Stay with what works.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not going to mess with it, but I guess I'd just like to know why. I also do the Glucosamine/Chondroitin thing in liquid form and also take fish oil pills too. That combined with a healthy diet, good sleep, and pro bike fits has gotten me where I am happy and relatively pain free. I am travelling right now and the knee always starts hurting when I get out of my routine and have no bike to ride. The bike is soooooo good for my knee. I really miss it. I'm thinking of a bike with S&S couplers next.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've had similar (knock wood) knee happiness after several failed pedal\cleat
combinations. Currently, I am using Dura-Ace with the fixed red cleat.
I have actually forgotten from time to time all my troubles of last year.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phoehn9111 said:
I've had similar (knock wood) knee happiness after several failed pedal\cleat
combinations. Currently, I am using Dura-Ace with the fixed red cleat.
I have actually forgotten from time to time all my troubles of last year.
That's interesting. So, your problems were solved with no float? That's about the opposite of my issue. Anyway, just goes to show that we are all put together a little differently. I'm glad that you are riding pain free too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.