Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and make it so damned well. i wish there was a rapha line i could afford :mad2:

in all honesty, i don't think the company has one product i would refuse to wear... with the single exception being perhaps the purple leather gloves currently on clearance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i really want their fixed shorts!
but 205?!
:(

I'm considering buying them with my next paycheck and justifying the purchase with "I'll wear them forever", but is there no cheaper alternative?

Are there any knickers that look similar and are as stylish?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I own nothing from Rapha, but they're among my favorite brands...is that weird? Reading all those ride journals gets me fired up and has probably spurred me to commute on more than a few rainy, miserable days.

As a cheaper alternative...the clothing company Nau recently folded up shop and all their stuff is 50% off- while it lasts. Their aesthetic is similar to Rapha's. I have a sweet soft shell blazer that gets worn constantly, as well as a couple pairs of pants. Just ordered a couple pairs of their "Deft Shorts" which could be possibly seen as a poor man's alternative to the Rapha shorts that DON'T have an integrated chamois. I'm planning to wear them on commuting days when I meet friends up for a drink after work and don't want to look too roadie-esque.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
mikejungle said:
i really want their fixed shorts!
but 205?!
:(

I'm considering buying them with my next paycheck and justifying the purchase with "I'll wear them forever", but is there no cheaper alternative?

Are there any knickers that look similar and are as stylish?
probably not as stylish, but more affordable-

http://www.swrvecycling.com/knickersMensDynamic.html
http://www.bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html

and knuckle- thanks for the heads up on the nau stuff, nice and simple looking... i ordered some shorts for riding to work. only about 10 miles each way so no need for chamois really. and i've been the guy who goes to the bar after work with lycra bike shorts... it's not an enviable situation.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
My wife is on to them

She knows that if I'm buying something from Rapha I'm wasting money, but I like their stuff. I now have two jerseys a wind vest, leg warmers and the soft shell jacket.

I like this jersey

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=452

Anyone have their gloves?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I currently sell the stuff and everything is made very well. Even compared to Assos (which we also have) the Rapha stuff has more appeal in terms of classic look and quality. Whatever the case the sell through at their current prices is very good, so no real reason for them to make cheap garbage. The market is already flooded with companies that do that.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
teoteoteo said:
I currently sell the stuff and everything is made very well. Even compared to Assos (which we also have) the Rapha stuff has more appeal in terms of classic look and quality. Whatever the case the sell through at their current prices is very good, so no real reason for them to make cheap garbage. The market is already flooded with companies that do that.....
How are those $320 Assos bibs selling? I thought $270 was outrageous for lycra bibs. They're well designed and well made, but I wish Bernanke would stop devaluing our dollar.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The fixed t's are now 2 for $105. Still very very pricey, but w/ free shipping I picked up a couple and they are pretty sweet. Synthetic, but feel like cotton- good for commuting days when you are headed somewhere other than straight home to the shower. Very classy/dressy looking. Expensive, sure, but it's nice to have a couple pieces of clothing that can do double duty, in addition to the myriad $12 Target coolmax shirts I have.

To sum up...I still can't justify dropping the beans for Rapha's bibs, jackets, or jerseys, but the fixed t shirts (at a discount) are a nice way to dip your toe into the luxury waters...

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
For $205, you could probably have a tailor make you a pair of custom knickers out of the same material...

That said, Rapha makes some seriously cool stuff. None of which I can afford. :mad2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.