Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
50ft. Queenie
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
something about him rubs me the wrong way..... cocky?

here is a quote from VN:

"By the time I got up to the front group, the five riders had already pulled away," Horner said. "I don't know if I have the same legs Floyd has right now, because he's obviously going good, but my legs are better than I thought they'd be."


come on. of course you dont have the same legs as Floyd.
seems like everything that comes out of his mouth is egotistical.
Anyone see "Pro" and how he sounded in that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Why I like Horner...

Because he gives you his unvarnished opinion. He WILL tell you what he feels/thinks, which I think gives some interesting insight into the pro ranks. The guy is passionate.
As far as the cocky part... Well, I'm guessing that you need to be pretty self confident to succeed. It seems to me that if you going to head off the front to track down a break, you better believe you can get it done.
 

·
50ft. Queenie
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tomwd3 said:
Because he gives you his unvarnished opinion. He WILL tell you what he feels/thinks, which I think gives some interesting insight into the pro ranks. The guy is passionate.
As far as the cocky part... Well, I'm guessing that you need to be pretty self confident to succeed. It seems to me that if you going to head off the front to track down a break, you better believe you can get it done.
there is plenty of other american cyclists racing in the protour that are plenty self-confident but dont come across the same way as chris does. levi, tom d., saul r., floyd l., etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
argylesocks said:
there is plenty of other american cyclists racing in the protour that are plenty self-confident but dont come across the same way as chris does. levi, tom d., saul r., floyd l., etc
All the riders you mentioned are very vanilla. I think Horner is saucy and passionate. I love the guy and the attacks he brings to the peloton. He only has a couple years of racing left and want to make the most of it. Go Chris!
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
argylesocks said:
something about him rubs me the wrong way..... cocky?

here is a quote from VN:

"By the time I got up to the front group, the five riders had already pulled away," Horner said. "I don't know if I have the same legs Floyd has right now, because he's obviously going good, but my legs are better than I thought they'd be."


come on. of course you dont have the same legs as Floyd.
seems like everything that comes out of his mouth is egotistical.
Anyone see "Pro" and how he sounded in that?

Horner is an arrogant bastard. Another way to look at it is he's a confident cyclist. I like watching him. I like to root for him. I've seen him in Pro and seen or read about a dozen interviews. I don't really enjoy a lot of his celf-centered views.

So he is what he is and I always want him in a race and like to see him do well. As Tomwd3 said, you need self-confidence to succeed at the highest level.

Your issue is kind of nit-picking. He is not claiming he is as great a rider as Floyd. He is saying he's not at Floyd's fitness level right now. The other point is why would would he succumb that Floyd is a better rider than him forever? If he does that, then he's got no chance. He's already lost.

francois
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I could see where he might rub some people the wrong way. Frankly if you're a top GC contender, before a big race, a smart guy isn't gonna blab about how's going to win.
He's going to be curteous and talk about how he just "hopes to do well, and so & so is real strong so I'll take it day by day".
Where's the fun in that?
Last year he professed that he was dying to make the Saunier TdF sqaud and he was gonna kill himself to prove he deserved it.
I haven't heard anybody call him out when he's failed to deliver the goods, but my guess would be that he would't shink from the critcism.
I just think it's a refreshing change from the plain vanilla cyclist interview.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
Horner always strikes me as a guy who has a case of McEwen Syndrome. His case isn't terminal like Robbie's is, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
McEwanitis

Maybe, but Horner isn't riding people into the barriers each week.
Or if you're lucky, maybe he'll just headbut ya at 60kph.:)
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
i think you nailed it. he's a cocky slaphead ;)
 

·
limit screwed
Joined
·
806 Posts
I agree with Francois; at any level of competition, and especially the highest, you never want to give your competitors the idea that you think they are stronger than you. He's not saying he's as strong as or stronger than Floyd he's saying...he doesn't know. It's possible, he says. Even he's not sure of the shape he's in, so how can his opponents be? It's all gamesmanship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
he did some talking with his legs in the two man break in the tdf of last year, he knows of what he speaks.



argylesocks said:
something about him rubs me the wrong way..... cocky?

here is a quote from VN:

"By the time I got up to the front group, the five riders had already pulled away," Horner said. "I don't know if I have the same legs Floyd has right now, because he's obviously going good, but my legs are better than I thought they'd be."


come on. of course you dont have the same legs as Floyd.
seems like everything that comes out of his mouth is egotistical.
Anyone see "Pro" and how he sounded in that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Don't forget...

odeum said:
he did some talking with his legs in the two man break in the tdf of last year, he knows of what he speaks.
Don't forget his Tour de Suisse stage win either.

And the gazillion races that he won in the US over the years.

I think Horner comes across as cocky during interviews and on the movies we've seen because like others have said, he's giving you the straight poop, and he's not sugar coating things. Go back, look at his interviews, look at the stuff he's saying, normally, it is what happened, and it is the truth, and some folks, well, they just don't like that. Like everyone was giving him grief about what he was saying about Postal and other teams riding against him and racing negatively during the Olympic selection race. People were all PO'd about it, but if you saw the race, that's exactly what happened.

Approach Horner at a race, he'll stop and chat with you and seems to be a genuinely nice guy.

Even if you don't like him, his tactical sense of bike racing is freakin' superb. He can read a race like nobody else for the most part. I'm pretty sure at some point in time he'll make a great DS for some team out there.
 

·
50ft. Queenie
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
magnolialover said:
Don't forget his Tour de Suisse stage win either.

And the gazillion races that he won in the US over the years.
...

Even if you don't like him, his tactical sense of bike racing is freakin' superb. He can read a race like nobody else for the most part. I'm pretty sure at some point in time he'll make a great DS for some team out there.
Im certainly not debating his quality as a racer. the dude is amazing! no doubting that.
its not like i hate the guy. he just comes off as egotistical.

you can be a straight-shooter & a great racer without necessarily sounding cocky.

regardless, i still cheer him on & hope he does well...... i just put the TV on mute once he starts talking :)
 

·
The view is the reward
Joined
·
417 Posts
argylesocks said:
you can be a straight-shooter & a great racer without necessarily sounding cocky....regardless, i still cheer him on & hope he does well...... i just put the TV on mute once he starts talking :)
So many athletes couch their comments so severely that all that's left are banal cliches. It's even more annoying when an athlete is completely different off-camera. Horner is smart, eloquent, forthright and self-confident. Calling him cocky is too harsh.
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
steephill said:
Some many athletes couch their comments so severely that all that's left are banal cliches. It's even more annoying when a athlete is completely different off-camera. Horner is smart, eloquent, forthright and self-confident. Calling him cocky is too harsh.
Let's say you have Horner's character:

If you have zero results then you are: cocky

If you have Horner's tactics, daring and results then you are: eloquent, forthright and self-confident.

In other words, good call steephill.

p.s. If you have Barry Bonds character and you have Barry Bonds results, you're still an a-hole!!
 

·
aka Zonic Man
Joined
·
593 Posts
francois said:
Let's say you have Horner's character:

If you have zero results then you are: cocky

If you have Horner's tactics, daring and results then you are: eloquent, forthright and self-confident.

In other words, good call steephill.

p.s. If you have Barry Bonds character and you have Barry Bonds results, you're still an a-hole!!
Holy **** francis.

Have you met the guy? Know his personality? Hung with him? Gone on a ride with the guy?

No, none of the above.

He's a good guy, plain and simple. Speaks his mind with his mouth and his legs.

Good on him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Jed Peters said:
Holy **** francis.

Have you met the guy? Know his personality? Hung with him? Gone on a ride with the guy?

No, none of the above.

He's a good guy, plain and simple. Speaks his mind with his mouth and his legs.

Good on him.
In other words "eloquent, forthright and self-confident" perhaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
But more to the point, Horner is a public figure. He chose to make himself one by participating in print and television interviews and publishing a personal diary. Once Horner puts himself in front of the public through the media, it's unreasonable to then claim we are not justified in forming opinions of him based on the information he chose to present. Could that opinion change if we knew him better? Probably, but that's equally true of many people in my life whom I do know personally, but not as well as, say, members of their family.
 

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
Jed Peters said:
Holy **** francis.

Have you met the guy? Know his personality? Hung with him? Gone on a ride with the guy?

No, none of the above.

He's a good guy, plain and simple. Speaks his mind with his mouth and his legs.

Good on him.
Holy crap Peters, just because I haven't met the guy doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about him. I read and watch any race or interview or article cause I like the way he races. I also think his 2005 season is one of the greatest cycling stories.

Who are you so high and mighty just because you've met the guy??? 99% of us haven't met any euro pro. I haven't met Barry Bonds but he's still an a-hole in my book.

francois
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top