Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Slow but enthusiastic!
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might sound like a troll given my post count and the title but it truly isn't. I'm trying to understand the culture.

I'm from Tahoe but relocated to Bellevue WA 4+ years ago. I was mostly a mountain biker but recently took up road and commuting since it's a little easier to get rides in. Mountain bikers pretty much universally wave, say hi, chat or at least nod when another rider goes by.

As I've started more and more road, I always smile and wave to riders going the other way but it seems almost always ignored. I thought this might just not be a roadie 'thing' but last week I was on a road ride on vacation in San Diego and almost everyone smiled and waved.

I got back the other day and just did a 40 mile mixed gravel/road ride. Almost to a rider the MTBers I passed waved, nodded, etc. but the trend was opposite with the road riders.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but should I just stop waving since it appears to be a regional cultural thing? After so many years of MTB and motorcycling not waving feels like I'm being a dick.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts