Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come unlike baseball and football here in the states, news ppl dont tell how much each contract is worth. For example, it was revealed a while back that fabian cancellara was given a 3 year contract extension, but on all the main news sites (including RBReview) the amount the contract was worth was not revealed? Yet in say football, they always reveal the pay, like how Ryan Grant of GB Packers got a extension and price was revealed.

"Agent Alan Herman said Grant has agreed to a four-year deal that could be worth up to $30 million, with much of the money coming in performance-based escalators. Grant will make $4.25 million this season." (Courtesey foxsports)

Why do they not in pro cycling? :mad2:

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Susan Walker said:
It is not very civilized.
thats a very cultural thing...
in the US we're very hush hush about personal finincial info. China for instance, it's common conversation and withholding that info could be taken as insulting.

Now why cycling doesn't disclose... i'd guess because the pay is sooo lame.
or because the other sports that do disclose have a required max salary cap for teams.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
those nfl contracts you hear about are pretty inflated, too. usually they reveal the sum potential the player could earn after all bonuses are added. they rarely get the full amount they report.
it is a way the teams make the fans feel like the management is doing everything for teh players, and the agents can market themselves more.

· Registered
896 Posts
I was talking to the AG2R team director at the TDF this year. he mentioned a few things that I'll list because its so hard to get real info:
1. AG2R annual budget = 7mm Euro
2. Colombia anual budget = 12mm Euro
3. AG2R lowest level pro rider get 3k euro/month, which is less then the mechanics
4. he though the highest paid guys in the peloton are 1mm Euro/year salary

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Susan Walker said:
Really? I'd have thought it would be way more open than in UK/Europe. At least I think that's the common prejudice.
Every employer I've ever worked for has explicitly said not to share salary information. (USA). I know for the most part no one wants to divulge how much they make. I've never understood it, and I am pretty open with that sort of information.

This is contrary to what I've heard Europe is like. For instance, I'm pretty sure I read that in Norway, income is published for every citizen.

As to why Cycling doesn't publish or furnish the information, I'd imagine it has to do with the fact that they have an incredibly weak union, and that the disparity between pay of riders is probably much for vast than other sports (percentage wise).

Plus, who wants to "brag" about signing a contract for 40k Eur? Sure sounds pathetic when you compare to something like Alex Rodriguez at 250 Million.

· Registered
75 Posts
somebody was telling me about a recent article in the NY Times that was talking about cycling salaries in reference to Garmin/Chipotle/Slipstream.... anybody see that?

I have not seen the article and couldn't find it from doing a quick search. I think my friend told me it was in the NY Times.

· Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
$3k Euro a month? That's better than most guys here in the US. I have an offer on the table to race for a new UCI trade team next year that is a little over half that. Not that I'm complaining but obviously I won't be riding my bike full time...

FWIW, many well known domestic pros make about $1k/mo with a ton of guys getting less than $10k annually in actual salary. Some guys make more but not all that many.

When I raced in Europe years ago, I thought that the pay was pretty decent compared to here but you were subject to a lot of weird things regarding the pay scales and the taxes. Also, that was a time where everyone seemed to make more money than they do now. There are a handful of guys (less than 20) making big money that is bigger than what was going out the door then, however fewer riders are making $150k or more. The $250k to $400k bracket has also shrunk a fair amount.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I always figgered the reason we see those numbers in the US is because the agents are bragging, and setting (re-setting) expectations for the next time.
I'm sure that doesn't hurt them any, but I had the idea it's more about ensuring a free and fair market for talent (which means preventing collusion by team owners) than lining agent's pockets.

· Banned
608 Posts
bauerb said:
$3k/month was for the lowest level on the TDF team. I'm sure guys rounding out the full team of 20-30 guys make alot less.
The ProTour instituted a minimum salary of 30K euros per year. A Pro Continental team has a min salary of 23K euros. You are allowed to pay a smaller amount for first year pros: 24K for ProTour, 20K for Pro Conti. All teams in the TdF were ProTour except for Agritubel, Garmin, and Barloworld.

Some teams cheat the riders by making them pick up expenses that should be paid by the team, effectively reducing their salary.

If you figure that Garmin is essentially a european team (even though they are registered as a U.S. Pro Continental) since their emphasis is in Europe, then you are left with BMC as the only american Pro Conti team. The rest are Continental class teams, and the pay goes way way downward.

Figure on a average around 50 - 60K euros for a typical rider doing the TdF.

Floyd Landis was paid $60K for his first year at Postal. In his first year at Phonak, Floyd was paid $450K. He was scheduled to be paid $600K for his second year, but he didn't make it through the entire year.

Zabriskie was paid a lot less than Floyd for his first year at Postal--a lot less.

Ricardo Ricco was making 30K euros last year at Saunier Duval.

In the U.S. the pay is truly a joke. Riding pro in the U.S. is not called the twelve thousand dollar dream for nothing.

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
dmbell said:
What's the minmum salary for a major league baseball player?
Also, remember that 3k euro = $56000 a year in dollars. I wish all my savings were in euros.
http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/default.aspx

You can also look at the other 3 major sports via the menu. At a quick glance, the lowest salary I saw for an MLB player in '08 was $390,000. This is likely the entry level minimum, i.e. a rookie making the team out of spring training. The minimum a player can earn likely increases depending on how much time a player has been in the league. IIRC, the league minimum was $109,000 when the players went on strike in '94.

The lowest base salary I saw for an NFL player in '07 was $285,000, but that can obviously increase with things like signing bonus, roster bonus, incentives, etc. Last I heard, NFL practice squad players' salaries are approaching $100,000.

I didn't look at the NBA or NHL, but the bottom line is that the guys in the 4 majors shouldn't be starving if they've got their sh!t together.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.